• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor 8x42 vs EL 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Otto McDiesel

I took both of these for birding yesterday. The Razor is very nicely balanced.
The focuser on the Razor is stiffer than on the EL, but it is functional and it's ok.
The EL was slightly brighter and had better color rendition and contrast. It also behaved better wjhen showing detail on back-light objects and in stray light. The EL also had better edge performance and seemed to have a wider field of view.
The Razor is very nice indeed, probably the best glass for under $1000; it is close and similar to the Trinovid/SLC generation. Absolutely a good buy.
However, the focuser on the Razor needs a bit of time getting used to, and i noticed one more thing: the focuser rotates around the silver plate marked "8x42", but it seems out of round, as if something is not concentric there.

Luca,

I do not know how I missed this post back in February. Some excellent comments. I can share your experiences in at least one sense. One of the pairs of Razors had the same issue with the focuser that you mentioned...the "out of round" issue. The other two I had the pleasure of owning did not exhibit this issue. Quality control would be my guess. Great bins though I must agree...especially for the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back