• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (3 Viewers)

Interesting stuff, Phil! Would be nice if they could be pinned down but the weather over the next few days doesn't look that promising. Having so far missed out on the 2-barred 'invasion' it would be a bonus if Staffs got caught up in the Parrot one...and a 2-barred was with them...;)

Not the easiest birds to pin down unless a nice drinking pool can be located but I think when it's wet they often just get their moisture from the trees and cones which makes it doubly hard...:-C

No sign up there this weekend

Great Grey Shrike

We were lucky to see the bird, all be it at some distance, at 12.45 today on dead trees near Trig Point. Distant record shot attached.

Attachments

• Great Grey Shrike.jpg
    Great Grey Shrike.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 41
No sign up there this weekend

Thanks Phil.

Went to have a look for some today over the Chase as the weather was much better and found a flock of c30 Crossbill. Unfortunately I think a combo of me and a couple of mountain bikers flushed them out the Larches as I walked up, they flew around for a while and then about 5 came back that I had good views of feeding and all looked 'normal' and all sounded 'normal' in flight. If anyone else fancies checking them out they were at the far end of Abraham's Valley as you walk up from Seven Springs car park in the Larches on the left of the path by post 151.

News for the 29th Oct

Great Grey Shrike - Cadet huts in clearfell by trig point
1w Caspian Gull - Belvide roost
8 Whooper Swan - Blithfield in Tad bay

News for the 1st Nov

3 redhead Red-breasted Merganser - Blithfield in Tad bay
1w drake Scaup - Belvide
2 Ruddy Shelduck - Branston Pits

News for the 2nd Nov

3 redhead Red-breasted Merg - still Blithfield at the deep end
2 x 1st winter Scaup - Belvide
2 Ruddy Shelduck - still Branston Pits

News for the 3rd Nov

Snow Bunting - Blithfield at Admaston Reach then Blithe bay also 3 Red-breasted Merganser still at the deep end
2 x 1w Scaup - Belvide also Merlin
50 Crossbill - Hanchurch Woods

Chasewater

Hi All

The Great Northern Diver showed quite well today when it relocated around early afternoon to the dam-end corner by the visitor centre.

It spent most of it's time feeding by the pontoons, giving decent views to the half dozen or so of us hardy souls braving the very strong winds and playing I-Spy as the bird spent most of the time underwater or hidden by the waves.

Even digibinning really mediocre record-shots was difficult, as you can see !

Cheers

Andy R.

Attachments

• 183.JPG
    183.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 190.JPG
    190.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 191.JPG
    191.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 188.JPG
    188.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 17
News for the 5th Nov

Rough-legged Buzzard - Goldsitch Moss between Leek and Buxton west of A53 and SE of Gradbach in the valley viewable from the road at 15.00.

Would be interesting to hear more info on this bird as it is a real Staffs mega with the last twitchable bird being in the Swallow Moss area in 1995 I think. Photos would be great...

3 Red-breasted Merganser - Blithfield still also Knot
2w Caspian Gull - again Belvide roost also 2 x 1w Scaup

News for the 5th Nov

Rough-legged Buzzard - Goldsitch Moss between Leek and Buxton west of A53 and SE of Gradbach in the valley viewable from the road at 15.00.

Would be interesting to hear more info on this bird as it is a real Staffs mega with the last twitchable bird being in the Swallow Moss area in 1995 I think. Photos would be great...

I thought the same, I guess Ill be heading up the moors in the morning if the weather is poor :t:

Pager mentioned it was showing well so hopefully some pics?!?

Would be great if this lingers as I didn't go for the '95 bird for some reason(I can probably guess why - B :) )

News for the 5th Nov

Yes the Swallow Moss bird was in 1995, the 7 April when I saw it also 3 Black Grouse and a Merlin there on that day. Also caught up with a Great Grey Shrike at Goldsitch Moss 2 days later.

Yes the Swallow Moss bird was in 1995, the 7 April when I saw it also 3 Black Grouse and a Merlin there on that day. Also caught up with a Great Grey Shrike at Goldsitch Moss 2 days later.

Yeh I remember seeing the Shrike at Goldsitch then bumped into the Buzzard at Swallow Moss on the same day - that was probably the 9th then. Little did we realise at the time that the true Staffs mega that day was actually the Black Grouse...:-C

Marsh/Willow Tits at Belvide

Hi guys,

I was at Belvide yesterday and there were two Tit sp. on the feeders by the entrance gate and I am trying to find out if they were Marsh or Willow ( pic on ID forum ) , any ideas ?

Thanks

Alan

Hi guys,

I was at Belvide yesterday and there were two Tit sp. on the feeders by the entrance gate and I am trying to find out if they were Marsh or Willow ( pic on ID forum ) , any ideas ?

Thanks

Alan

I've looked back on the Belvide blog and there is no mention of Marsh or Willow Tit on the feeders of recent, they are either new in or Steve does not Log Marsh or Willow Tit ( however I believe he would log these)

Regards, John

Hi guys,

Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan,
Belvide gets both Marsh and Willow Tit. I've looked at your photo in the ID forum and it's not possible to determine. However, because you saw them at the woodland feeding station they were more likely to have been Marsh Tit. I don't mention them on the blog as they are resident all year round and would only do so if there was an increase in number.
Also your other photo's were of Tufted Duck and not the Scaup. There are some decent photos on the Belvide blog to show you what they look like.

Cheers Steve

Hi All

The Great Northern Diver showed quite well today when it relocated around early afternoon to the dam-end corner by the visitor centre.

It spent most of it's time feeding by the pontoons, giving decent views to the half dozen or so of us hardy souls braving the very strong winds and playing I-Spy as the bird spent most of the time underwater or hidden by the waves.

Even digibinning really mediocre record-shots was difficult, as you can see !

Cheers

Andy R.

I took a drive down durin my punch break today and had a very quick 5 minute scout but couldnt find it! Gutted.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back