• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold’s Vacations 2020 (1 Viewer)

Excellent news on the Black Duck, saw it on RBA the other day and wondered if that was you! Each time someone scores I get to feel a little less guilty about nailing it with such ease!

Congrats on the Black Duck! Picture as well, excellent.

Bad luck at the hide, it usually has a bunch of Common Seals, often Otter, and others occasionally see White-tailed Eagles there though I never have.

Cheers

John

Congrats on the Black Duck! Picture as well, excellent.

Bad luck at the hide, it usually has a bunch of Common Seals, often Otter, and others occasionally see White-tailed Eagles there though I never have.

Cheers

John
Cheers John. I think it’s the first time I’ve been there and not seen any Common Seals.

Rich

Day 6

We all headed over to the Applecross area today. Stopped off at our usual place for haggis and bacon rolls with brown sauce:eat:. Good views of Red Deer on the way up the Pass of the Cattle. At the top the car park was covered in snow. No worries at it has been in the past when we've been up there. Only just got out by the skin of my teeth:eek!:

Had a little wander around the car park, toying with walking a little way up the track. Wasn't going up to the top as it was shrouded in cloud. No chance though. The wind was so strong I was having difficulty standing up and the wind chill on my face was beginning to get painful. Ptarmigan[/B would not be on this year's list... or would it?;)

50 yards down the road was a handsome bird and Max managed a tidy photo of it. Down at Apple cross itself we were too early for food. Walking along the bay we quickly got on to an Otter. Further around, whilst watching a Tystie, my old man noticed the Otter had been joined by another. Looked like a male and female to me. Red-breasted Mergansers and Eider were also in the bay.

Whilst tucking in to some delicious Langoustines and Oysters the old man noticed a small Grebe out in the bay. Great to year tick Slavonian Grebe from the comfort of our restaurant table:t: The boy was impeccably behaved, enjoying a fuss off the people in the restaurant.

Fed and refreshed we headed around the coastal road to Shieldaig. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a big bird loping along the ridge line. Slamming on the anchors and running back to a position where I could see it, it turned out to be a Grey Heron!!:-O. Further along the road we had great views of 4 Black-throated Divers. Now the weather turned and so we decided to head back to the cottage.

A very decent day.

Attachments

• IMG_8090.jpg
    IMG_8090.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 34
Day 7

A quiet day today before tomorrow's drive home. Stocked up on pies from the Highland Bakery before going for a walk around Anagach Woods. not too much in the way of birds other than the usual Coal Tits.

Next it was off to Loch Garten. Down came the snow again and is was absolutely stunning. Up at the visitor centre (currently being refurbished) there was just us and a couple of birders. None of the idiots that JP came across a few days later:C As such we enjoyed great views of a couple of Crested Tits and everyone enjoyed the Coal Tits feeding on sunflower seeds from our hands:t: Nice views of a Red Squirrel on the feeders by the car park as well.

A quick walk to Loch Malachie and it was time to load the car up. Another excellent week in Speyside:t:

Attachments

• IMG_8122.jpg
    IMG_8122.jpg
    666.4 KB · Views: 33
Day 8

A late start (07:30) meant we caught a bit of traffic on the A9. Not too bad though. Weather conditions were absolutely appalling the further South we drove. Detoured over to Fisherrow. A good few Eider were around and a handful of Scoter. nailing down the species was beyond my ID skills in the weather conditions.

For those thinking of heading that way there's free car parking right nextto the harbour and there's and a relatively cheap petrol station within 3/4 of a mile.

The return journey was uneventful other than having several butt clenching moments when hitting standing water on the M74/ M6:eek!: Did feel dreadful for one family where the top of their roof box had come off, and their belongings were strewn all over the motorway:-C

Rich

Have been looking at Somerset in May, but also Cornwall during October half term. The Scillonian is running day trips to the Isle of Scilly. Assuming the weather is ok would this be worth doing? Or too late in the season?

I've bought Best Birdwatching Sites in Cornwall and Scilly by Sara McMahon and Nigel Hudson. A little out of date maybe, but gives some decent maps and some ideas of where to go. I've not been to many places in Cornwall so this has been helpful:t: As such, we'll probably look in the Penzance area to have easy access to the Lands End/ Lizard area.

Thanks for any advice,

Rich

Can certainly recommend the Scilly Isles Clark, apart from the sub tropical “feel” that you get on the isles (unique in the UK) for May half term, the birds can be extremely good. The crossing on the Scillonian can yield Auks and Terns with the potential for some good birds on the islands. During the ‘90’s we visited at least a half dozen times and we took our Boxer dog and he loved it! If memory serves during that half term period we jammed in on Night Heron, Quail, Golden Oriole (think every year for this species), Black Kite, Honey Buzzard, Red-backed Shrike, Short-toed Lark and Bluethroat. The crystal clear waters and White sands aren’t bad either, the only drawback is the accommodation which is in relatively short supply is expensive!

Cheers

Can certainly recommend the Scilly Isles Clark, apart from the sub tropical “feel” that you get on the isles (unique in the UK) for May half term, the birds can be extremely good. The crossing on the Scillonian can yield Auks and Terns with the potential for some good birds on the islands. During the ‘90’s we visited at least a half dozen times and we took our Boxer dog and he loved it! If memory serves during that half term period we jammed in on Night Heron, Quail, Golden Oriole (think every year for this species), Black Kite, Honey Buzzard, Red-backed Shrike, Short-toed Lark and Bluethroat. The crystal clear waters and White sands aren’t bad either, the only drawback is the accommodation which is in relatively short supply is expensive!

Cheers

Cheers Ken. Unfortunately I was looking at October half term :-C. Which is at the very end of October here in Wales. Too late?

Rich

Last year you would have had a shout at Paddyfield Pipit at the back end of the October half term, with a supporting cast of Buff-bellied Pipit and Lesser Scaup, although the weather was foul throughout and we didn't do as well while there as this line up would suggest. The year before that Grey Catbird stayed into the half term, so a visit at this time clearly can pay off. There should usually be things like Yellow-brows, Firecrests, Black Redstarts about, and with luck the Ring-billed Gull that's occasionally reported from Hayle will be a long stayer. I've not ruled out the possibility of an October half term visit myself.

Last year you would have had a shout at Paddyfield Pipit at the back end of the October half term, with a supporting cast of Buff-bellied Pipit and Lesser Scaup, although the weather was foul throughout and we didn't do as well while there as this line up would suggest. The year before that Grey Catbird stayed into the half term, so a visit at this time clearly can pay off. There should usually be things like Yellow-brows, Firecrests, Black Redstarts about, and with luck the Ring-billed Gull that's occasionally reported from Hayle will be a long stayer. I've not ruled out the possibility of an October half term visit myself.

Our October half term here in the east midlands tends to be a week earlier. last year was spent on the lizard (Porthleven based). The Paddyfield Pipit turned up the day after we left for home!typical. However, there were still some good birds around (red eyed vireo, barred warbler, booted warbler - all dipped), White Rumped Sandpiper, red breasted fly YBW amongst others.

Our October half term here in the east midlands tends to be a week earlier. last year was spent on the lizard (Porthleven based). The Paddyfield Pipit turned up the day after we left for home!typical. However, there were still some good birds around (red eyed vireo, barred warbler, booted warbler - all dipped), White Rumped Sandpiper, red breasted fly YBW amongst others.

Several lifers there for me PAul. Hope it’s the same this year.

Rich

So I’ve taken a calculated risk and booked a dog friendly location by St Just. There appears to be a footpath right by the cottage that takes us down to Porth Nanven. So that’ll be the hounds morning walk sorted. :t:

Still hoping for a day trip on the Scillonian as well.

Rich

Good luck Rich, look forward to hearing how you get on. Doesn't look like we'll be down that way this October after all. Our youngest missed a school trip to Cardiff this spring so we'll probably head there.

Good luck Rich, look forward to hearing how you get on. Doesn't look like we'll be down that way this October after all. Our youngest missed a school trip to Cardiff this spring so we'll probably head there.

Cheers James.

Hope you have a good trip to Cardiff as well.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back