• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (1 Viewer)

Hi Isaac

Great shot and sighting of the Red Crested Pochard.....what a beautiful bird....well done. The diversity at your local haunt is excellent. I also heard the Chiffchaff near Church Farm pits.
Would be great if there was hide at CLP as the Snipe and Water Rail are very timid and hunker down really well out of sight.I spooked the Snipe on Saturday.

Regards.... Ian

Tuesday evening very overcast, Red-Crested Pochard again on Church Farm south pit along with 3 Redshanks North pit. 5 more Redshank seen on CLP a few minutes later may be additional or not . Along with these my first Little-Ringed Plover of the year
Fox and a Hare were seen down by the river but it was getting to dark to see much else and probably tooo windy for any Owl action .

Attachments

• P1020612.JPG
    P1020612.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 53
  • P1020613.JPG
    P1020613.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 50
Il apologise in advance as my iPads having trouble downloading more than one pic at a time.....

Church Farm North Pit. Today 7.00am...RC Pochard

image.jpeg

Clay Lane Pit......Oyster Catcher

image.jpg

Really good activity today

Red Crested Pochard
Meadow Pipit
Stonechat
Kestrel
Sand Martin
Pied Wagtail
Plus all the other usual

Last edited:
Il apologise in advance as my iPads having trouble downloading more than one pic at a time.....

Church Farm North Pit. Today 7.00am...RC Pochard

View attachment 721823

Clay Lane Pit....LR Plover

View attachment 721824

Clay Lane Pit.....Redshank

View attachment 721825

Ian, gorgeous birds!!!! Nice captures, and beautiful setting! Wow! Glad I found your thread!

Clay Lane Pit......Oyster Catcher

View attachment 721826

Really good activity today

Red Crested Pochard
Meadow Pipit
Stonechat
Kestrel
Sand Martin
Pied Wagtail
Plus all the other usual

Off to Grimmers at 0930 for my first Spring visit and the first for about 8 months. I had the dual carriageway from Harvington to Ombersley almost to myself with only a handful of cars passing in about 7 miles...

I did a 2-hour figure of 8 circuit of both workings in excellent light and only saw one other birder. There is no parking off of the main road with signs stating so. one in particular is adjacent to the viewing area and suspiciously opposite the private drive up to the eyesore that is the residence of the 'King of Grimley'. I have never seen such a hideous dwelling and if that is what you can build and live in from making a fortune from cardboard then he is welcome to it. Not only should planning permission never been granted but how it included one of the pools c/w his Swallows and Amazons boat and a metal Hippo is beyond me but hey money talks.....

The first thing that greeted me was the Frog chorus, i can't say i have heard it before but it reminded me of Marsh Frogs that i heard last year in Poland and elsewhere in the Eastern Mediterranean - have they been introduced at the site?

Waders as follows: Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Redshank and a solitary Dunlin which looked like it could be a 1st-Summer bird but no LRP's. Numerous Gadwall and a pair of Pochard plus a Common Tern hawking. Warblers were evident with plenty of Reed, a single Sedge, both Whitethroat and Garden in the roadside hedge plus 2 Lessers - in addition to Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler. Yellow Wagtail was heard twice but not seen.

Over to the new workings where it was all quiet save for a pair of Oystercatchers.

The highlight was undoubtedly the presence of 3 Hobbies over the main pasture field. I watched the birds hawking for about 15 mins down to ground level before they disappeared over the back. The old quarry, long stripped of its equipment, has now been planted with trees. Can't have it developing nicely with annual, ruderal, species which are so useful for insects etc so we had better plant it up to stop it looking unsightly! God give me strength - somewhere another Cuckoo called and that was it.

Good birding -

Laurie:t:

Attached: Waders and the Red Dexters resembling Buffalo at a distance.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2613 Apr. 27 06.15.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2613 Apr. 27 06.15.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 33
  • ScreenHunter_2614 Apr. 27 06.42.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2614 Apr. 27 06.42.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 30
  • ScreenHunter_2617 Apr. 27 06.43.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2617 Apr. 27 06.43.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 33
Yesterdays Hobbies...

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2620 Apr. 27 06.45.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2620 Apr. 27 06.45.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 29
  • ScreenHunter_2621 Apr. 27 06.46.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2621 Apr. 27 06.46.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 42
  • ScreenHunter_2623 Apr. 27 06.55.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2623 Apr. 27 06.55.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 29
  • ScreenHunter_2625 Apr. 27 06.56.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2625 Apr. 27 06.56.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 33
  • ScreenHunter_2628 Apr. 27 06.58.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2628 Apr. 27 06.58.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 37
I see you are still arrogantly fl.outing the rules laurie. I note yuo have also deleted from your blog of ramblings, reprimands by Moderators of the Bird Forum You are a bloody disgrace.

REPEAT STAY AT HOME

Tell that to the other birders i bump into and i suggest you up your Meds mate:t:

I do look forward to this conversation face to face at some stage.

Please note that i did not delete the posts the Moderators did - they deleted mine and their own which perhaps says more about them than me.....

Do not Hector and Lecture me - i will not spend time and effort justifying my ‘Virus regime’ as it will only be deleted by the powers that be.

Bear in mind a lot of birders are doing what i do but they are not posting - that is not my ‘modus operandi’ - there are local birders that you will have bumped into down at Upton Warren that are also birding by ‘interpreting’ guidelines - may i suggest you take it up with them when you next visit when at the same time you can have all you birds pointed out to you and save you the trouble of trying to identify them:-O

Good birding or whatever -

If i was you i would stop digging.

All the evidence suggests that it is close proximity that is the problem.

Indeed France is relaxing the so-called guidelines and is actively reccomending cycling as it keeps people from bumping up together, does not utilise publice transport, does not use a car, encourages exercise and allows people to undertake shopping or whatever.

The Chezch Republic states that 'pursuit of nature' is to be encouraged and remains unaffected by diktat.

Whatever hidden agenda your are pursuing on behalf of your mates i would consider a waste of time you are making yourself look foolish imo.

I have advised by no less than 3 moderators to refrain from speaking my mind on this subject so i would advise you to do the same and when the dust has settled and people with my MO are vindicated and not villified then we can continue if you wish - meanwhile i do hope you are diligently trawling the Internet hauling in all and sundry including other local birders who you rub shoulders with frequently that are pursuing their hobby safely with discretion and point out the error of their ways...

I consider the subject closed so take you propaganda elsewhere as i have told the Mods that although i will exercise caution i will not take any crap:C

Respectfully -

It is noticeable just how the traffic has increased over the last 3 days and cycling today was no exception - i think i might have to start actually wearing a mask..........due to the sudden increase in Diesel particulates! Car parking at Grimmers is now at the end of the access lane as the Lord of Grimley has placed signs adjacent to his 'private' road with veiled threats of the Plods being called etc etc - they will have to go at some stage;) Noticeably more cars parked than last week - you can't beat a bit of local birding.....if you have a car of course.

I undertook a figure of 8 taking in both workings and some old quarry habitat. There isn't a great deal of Phragmites at Grimmers but every clump seemed to hold a Reed Warbler. In addition i picked up a Sedge over at the New Workings. A solitary Common Tern hawked and Marsh Frogs croaked. 2 passage Dunlin were noted and no less than 5, widely spaced, Cuckoos were calling - it's nice to see they are socially distancing during these stressfull times.....

Notable were about 100 Sand Martins hawking high above the Old Workings with Swallows way below along with a the odd House Martin. A single Swift was seen feeding over both pools. I took a slight detour around the White Hart Angling Club pool and was rewarded with a singing Cetti's Warbler which was both a surprise and a nice find.

Quite a few birders and walkers were out and about but despite the obvious sun and puffy White clouds is was not that warm. The clouds all had flat Grey bases which means a cold breeze at that height is shearing the base away and removing heat from reaching the ground making it noticeably chilly. All in all a pleasant couple of hours but no Hobbies as the birds i saw last week would have been recently arrived and were only feeding prior to moving on.

Good birding -

Attached:

Lord of the Manor.

Oystercatcher and Hippo - fortunately i have seen Blacksmith and Egyptian Plovers on a real one on Lakes Nakuru and Naivasha...

Dunlin.

Male Gadwall.

Mistletoe - a Worcestershire speciality.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2633 May. 03 06.18.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2633 May. 03 06.18.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 57
  • ScreenHunter_2634 May. 03 06.19.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2634 May. 03 06.19.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 32
  • ScreenHunter_2636 May. 03 06.22.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2636 May. 03 06.22.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 37
  • ScreenHunter_2635 May. 03 06.20.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2635 May. 03 06.20.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 38
  • ScreenHunter_2637 May. 03 06.23.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2637 May. 03 06.23.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
It's looking good Rob although a tad quiet but i put that down to the inclement winds at present.

Saturday's notes -

I put in 2.5 hours on a glorious day doing the usual figure of 8 taking in both workings and adjacent fishing pools bumping into 2 other birders over at the New Workings...

Grim-mers lived up to its name it was very quiet indeed. Waders consisted of the usual Oystercatcher, Lapwing and a solitary Redshank. A single Common Tern was present and duck numbers seemed to be down. Noticeable was an increase in Sedge Warblers with nearly as many singing as Reed although there will be more Reed present. The usual range of other Warblers with Lessers in the roadside hedge. A prominent Cuckoo was calling from the dead trees being mobbed by what looked like a Reed Bunting - that was the Old Workings.

A minor diversion was the antics of Lord Grimley, in his role as Admiral Cardboard - he was fettling his landing craft for 'sea trials' and a bit of gunboat diplomacy;)

The New Workings held large Gulls and Acros of both species. 2 more Cuckoos were calling and the Cetti's was still singing from the scrubby pool opposite the White Hart one. A feeding Little Egret putting in an appearance added spice. A pleasant bimble but unproductive to say the least

Good birding -

Attached: Cuckoo, 1 of 3. The Collie and the Wolly and a smart Little Egret.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2661 May. 09 16.51.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2661 May. 09 16.51.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 30
  • ScreenHunter_2662 May. 09 16.53.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2662 May. 09 16.53.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 28
  • ScreenHunter_2663 May. 09 16.54.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2663 May. 09 16.54.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 57
  • ScreenHunter_2664 May. 09 16.57.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2664 May. 09 16.57.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 33
A pleasant 2.5 hour 4 mile circuit from 1100-1330.

Noticeably more birders about with the verge at the road junction nearly fullof cars. Bumped into about 15 with the usual half a dozen asking if yesterdays' male Garganey was still present - some things never change.....what did these people do during their ordered and micro-managed incarceration?

With winds due to change over the next week or so Grimmers should start to produce something. The aforementioned duck is possibly a sign and Greenshank was reported on the Sling Pool at Holt midweek but yesterday was very very quiet with anything of note thin on the ground but i shall return on Tuesday. Waders were limited to Oystercatcher and Lapwing. Quite a few Reed Warblers were chugging away but only one Sedge noted. Cuckoos were estimated at 4 calling males one of which was flying around with a female over at the White Hart pool. The female was watching 'bubbling' away in response - i haven't heard a female call for years. The male Cetti's is still present and was singing briefly at the same location.

Of note re: Cuckoo i had a male calling this morning from the house in Stourbridge at 0545. My first record in 18 years of living here and i would say no more than a mile away:eek!:

Good birding -

Attached: yesterdays route.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2686 May. 17 06.43.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2686 May. 17 06.43.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 33
A pleasant 2.5 hour 4 mile circuit from 1100-1330.

Noticeably more birders about with the verge at the road junction nearly fullof cars. Bumped into about 15 with the usual half a dozen asking if yesterdays' male Garganey was still present - some things never change.....what did these people do during their ordered and micro-managed incarceration?

With winds due to change over the next week or so Grimmers should start to produce something. The aforementioned duck is possibly a sign and Greenshank was reported on the Sling Pool at Holt midweek but yesterday was very very quiet with anything of note thin on the ground but i shall return on Tuesday. Waders were limited to Oystercatcher and Lapwing. Quite a few Reed Warblers were chugging away but only one Sedge noted. Cuckoos were estimated at 4 calling males one of which was flying around with a female over at the White Hart pool. The female was watching 'bubbling' away in response - i haven't heard a female call for years. The male Cetti's is still present and was singing briefly at the same location.

Of note re: Cuckoo i had a male calling this morning from the house in Stourbridge at 0545. My first record in 18 years of living here and i would say no more than a mile away:eek!:

Good birding -

Attached: yesterdays route.

Terry Hinnet had 3 Greenshank on the Sling Pool during the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back