• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glass at Value (1 Viewer)

dries1

Here is some glass 8X32/42 I have and used for a while now, which are in different budget categories from lowest to the mid range and are good performers. I would recommend them. The prices on the whole are near what they generally sell for +/- here in the US. I will not deal with the premium glass as they are all good in different ways ( no need to split a hair with an axe).

8X32 KF Fuji Camera $140

8X42 Legend M $150

Kowa BD II 8X42 $400.00

Nikon EII 8X30 $400.00

Tract Toric 8X42 ~$700

Meopta Meostar B1 8X42 $850 - $900

Nikon monarch HG 8X42 $800-$900

I am sure there are more, so go ahead and add to the list.

Andy W.

Last edited:
Nice post. Love the EII 8x30. If youre not interested in waterproof, then this is an absolute must-buy for the money.

Monarch HG 8x42 - another winner for the money. Quality through and through.

Also agree with Meopta. Ive had the 12x50 HD and can speak to their truly wonderful glass - hardly any CA. Incredible.

I honestly don't use anything except a few alpha EDG's in 8x32, 8x42 and 10x42 that I like the best anymore but I have had a lot of value binoculars in the past including every one on your list and I would agree with them all. They are all good binoculars for the money. One I would add that I do have is the Meopta Meostar HD 15x56 which I have found is my favorite higher power binocular and it is very competitive with the Swarovski SLC HD 15x56 for less money. I have tried most of the Meopta Meostar's and even though they are all good I think the 15x56 is the standout performer of all of them. Also, I have the Nikon E2 8x30 because it is without a doubt the best WA binocular I have ever used and I feel that everybody should have one in their collection.

Last edited:
Don’t talk too loud, maybe Nikon could restart E2, maybe even improve the design at the same time...

Peter
The E2 8x30 is the best WA binocular out there regardless of price outside of the Nikon WX. it is kind of interesting that Nikon makes the best inexpensive WA binocular in the E2 and the best expensive WA binocular in the WX which is probably the best binocular period. I wonder if even the new Zeiss SF 8x32 at 6x times the price will challenge the E2. It will be interesting. It is really not a big deal that the E2 is not waterproof and the old style rubber eye cups work just fine. For $400.00 you can not beat it with anything.

Last edited:
Yes Dennis, for the price the EII is a great 8x30.

Yes Peter if Nikon could do some refinements to the EII - including the introduction of some more formats, and charge a few hundred more, I would try one.

Andy W.

Great post Andy.
I like the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 WA (porro) for $95...but I liked it even better a few years ago when they were about $30 cheaper.

Leupold BX-3 Mojave 8x32. Delightful MIJ glasses with locking diopter. AKA Cabela’s Guide Series 8x32. I bought the latter on closeout for $96!

Good post Andy. I second the Tract Toric 8x42, with the caveat that the IPD might be a bit too wide for some. Thumbs up also on the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42, and the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 (in spite of its lumpy focuser).

I would welcome an updated Nikon porro E series with contemporary eye relief specs.

-Bill

For current models I still like the Vanguard Endeavor ED II 8X42. I have yet to best that model on price vs. optics. I also like the Meopta Meopro 8X42 HD. I got a demo Leica Silverline 8X42 for around $900 which is excellent thru and thru. Still hard to find fault with the Zeiss Conquest HD series which are excellent for the money as is the Terra ED 8X25. I'm sure I'm leaving out a few.....

Billj,

The Sightron and KF are the same, just different branding. If I had the Sightron instead of the KF I would have it on the list.

Andy W.

Hello All,

I would add the 8 x 40 Nikon Action EX porro to the list , I think it is a good binocular for the price.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back