• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iberian Chiffchaff - Morocco (1 Viewer)

Brighter green and yellow than expected? Stronger supercilium? Longer primary projection? And not a Willow Warbler? ... ;)

Whereabouts in Morocco? A few years back we had a few birds (Knifiss and elsewhere in the far south) which appeared to be Iberian, presumably overwintering.

Chiffchaffs are incredibly variable. i don't disagree that it looks bright and the super looks ok, but there's no way I'd be calling it either way on that photo.

I'm firmly in the 'not-from-this-photo' camp. I'm not saying it isn't one, but doubt that you could be confident that it wasn't a Common Chiffchaff. As Iberian Chiffies in Iberia vacate their breeding grounds in the winter and disappear somewhere southwards, I'd guess Moroccan Iberians might do the same .... esp as they have those marginally longer wings.

Agree that this photo is inconclusive.
I can recall reading a paper on Iberian Chiffchaff by L Svesson, published in the BBOC where he describes several individuals caught in Morocco during winter. Can't trace it right now...

Some Iberian Chiffchaffs do winter in Morocco (records from November till February). But don't know their origin, form northern Morocco or Iberia?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back