• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ht 8x54 (1 Viewer)

Yes, in the sense that the matter was discussed during a meeting I had with Zeiss in 2014. Prompted by an exchange of emails they had produced some stopped down MTF analysis which seemed to confirm the problem first Henry, then others, identified. The person undertook to instigate a review of their specification and QC procedures. Some time later one of our German members told me that a company representative was claiming that their revised protocols now ensured their products satisfied even the most discerning users. Unfortunately, none of the birding stores I visit stock it so I haven't been able to see what, if anything, it has done for the 8x54.

David

I believe they are still making the 8/10X54, unlike the 42 format. There one for sale on the Bay, but I am quite apprehensive based on the previous reviews. The seller says he works for Zeiss, looked at them then put them back in the box. Makes me wonder,...... although that format is not for everyone.

Andy W.

There is a 10x56FL on there for $1400.00. Someone posted on here they have not seen one for sale for a long time. Just thought I would share.

Sounds like a favorite ol' "Eagles "song of mine!

As for the 8x42 HT... that may be a favorite ol' Ray Orbison song of mine!!

Ha!!!

CG

I believe they are still making the 8/10X54, unlike the 42 format. There one for sale on the Bay, but I am quite apprehensive based on the previous reviews. The seller says he works for Zeiss, looked at them then put them back in the box. Makes me wonder,...... although that format is not for everyone.

Andy W.

They may still be making them.

You can still order the 8x54 and 10x54 off the Zeiss Website via the website of their e-commerce server provider KIBO

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics.../victory-ht-binoculars.html#models#position-3

Scroll down to where it says "Buy Now" and click on it.

Bob

Last edited:
I bought one of these about a month ago. I figured since the 42mm HT was D/C if I ever wanted a big objective Zeiss I probably should get one. This one is a 8X54. I haven't messed with it much since I've actually been birding instead of messing with binoculars! After I've had a chance to use it some I'll get back.

The 8x54 HT looked so good to me on paper that I thought it was going to be the replacement for my 8x56 FL. The one I tested was an extreme disappointment. The image problems were corroborated by other observers, but from the start the 8x54 had defenders who saw nothing wrong with it.

An 8x54 HT that equals the 8x56 FL for spherical aberration and lateral color would still interest me, but I've been around the block too many times to accept anyone's subjective opinion about that. My interest will perk up if somebody can produce photos of star tests and lateral color demonstrating that the high aberrations I photographed are no longer there.

I am very happy with the 8X56FL T and I use it as an all around glass. I have got used to the weight and ended up getting a 10x56 FL T for astronomy. To me they represent quality. Though the 8X56 has some astigmatism, the on axis view is extremely sharp, and it has the one of the widest FOVs for a 8X56 roof, and, provides some extremely crystal views during daytime observation. I also am very lucky to have found a 10x56 FL, truly an outstanding low light glass. What I like about these is that I feel like part of the view not looking at it.

Andy W.

The 8x54 HT looked so good to me on paper that I thought it was going to be the replacement for my 8x56 FL. The one I tested was an extreme disappointment. The image problems were corroborated by other observers, but from the start the 8x54 had defenders who saw nothing wrong with it.
An 8x54 HT that equals the 8x56 FL for spherical aberration and lateral color would still interest me...
Henry, have you examined the 8x56 SLC, and if so is there a reason you still prefer (a cherry copy of) a Zeiss?

Hi tenex,

I haven't seen the 8x56 SLC, but from what I've heard I expect its off-axis astigmatism is better corrected than the FL and I expect its color accuracy is better just because it uses the current superior Swarovski coatings.

Photos and descriptions I've seen of star-tests suggest spherical aberration is similar to the FL and axial defects like astigmatism and coma are, as usual, sample dependent.

Longitudinal chromatic aberration and lateral color near the field center are the two things I think need to be equal to the FL if the SLC image is going to look equally good or better to me. I won't know about that until I've seen a pair.

Henry

Henry, I haven't seen an 8x56 SLC either, as they're still scarce here. I really like both the 10x I got and the 15x I tried but couldn't justify (having an older 15x60). I must be one of the last to realize that Swarovski is doing something right lately! I'm particularly glad not to see the astigmatism I associate with Zeiss FL/HT, and no CA that I've noticed, though I'm not the most sensitive. The view looks very crisp (and bright) to me, and others have said the 8x is even nicer, so I'd be interested in a more critical examination of an SLC 56.

Zeiss Victory HT 8x54

I bought one of these about a month ago. I figured since the 42mm HT was D/C if I ever wanted a big objective Zeiss I probably should get one. This one is a 8X54. I haven't messed with it much since I've actually been birding instead of messing with binoculars! After I've had a chance to use it some I'll get back.

What did you think of it once you had a chance to use it? By May 2018 they should have fixed the soft image problem if they were ever going to. Thanks.

What did you think of it once you had a chance to use it? By May 2018 they should have fixed the soft image problem if they were ever going to. Thanks.

I like it! I haven't used it that much since I use 32/42mm binoculars for birding and there hasn't even been a whole lot of birding with work/abnormal heat to consider. But I've taken it out a few times....played with it around the house. I think my example is a quality instrument. CA is well controlled. Center 50-60% is about perfect with impressive image quality. Field curvature comes into play a little earlier than some other 8X binoculars that I have. When I purchased the HT 8X54 I wanted the brightest 56mm or under binocular around. I believe this is it. As Fall/Winter progress...I'll use it more and have more of an opinion.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_110b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_110b.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 236
I like it! I haven't used it that much since I use 32/42mm binoculars for birding and there hasn't even been a whole lot of birding with work/abnormal heat to consider. But I've taken it out a few times....played with it around the house. I think my example is a quality instrument. CA is well controlled. Center 50-60% is about perfect with impressive image quality. Field curvature comes into play a little earlier than some other 8X binoculars that I have. When I purchased the HT 8X54 I wanted the brightest 56mm or under binocular around. I believe this is it. As Fall/Winter progress...I'll use it more and have more of an opinion.
Chuck. is that your SLC 8x56 to the right of the HT? Is the HT brighter than the SLC? With 95% transmission Zeiss says the HT's are the brightest premium binocular in the world. What is nice about the 8x54 HT is how light they are for a big aperture binocular. They are only 36 oz. which isn't much more than an SV 10x50 and they are a lot lighter than 8x56 SLC(44 oz.) and the 8x56 FL(41 oz.).

Last edited:
Dennis, post 18,
Your statement that the 8x54 HT is the brightest binocular in the world is not correct: it is even beaten bij the Zeiss Victory FL 8x56 according to our measurements.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back