• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

removing scratches and dust from scans (1 Viewer)

Kongi

Hi,

I am sure that this topic has been discussed here before, yet I am not able to find it.
My question is: Is there any software like PS that can automatically (or how ?) remove scratches and dust from my old negative slides that I plan to scan.

Thank you very much for any help or advice.
Petr

Photoshop does have a "dust and scratches" filter which can do a good job. It can however introduce an unacceptable blur. You will need to experiment with the settings, you can't really do batch processing. The patch healing brush can also be used for large scratches and mould spots.

You can cut out a lot of work by using an air spray to clean the slides before scanning, but don't be tempted to physically clean them.

The software you are referring to was usually part of the drum scanning set-up, where the slide was cleaned, then spun over the drum, and it removed all artifacts.

There is desktop professional scanning software, but that's expensive.

Dust is inherent with this process. Cleaning might help, but it attracts even more.

What I would do, is scan your slide S/S (same size) at the highest resolution your scanner is capable of, not interpolation and clean that up in photoshop at that size.

It's a bit fiddly, but it works, you can then set your image to what ever resolution you need, then do all the colour adjustment and balance.

How do you plan to scan them? Dedicated slide/film scanners, even SOHO-class, usually come with some basic dust/scratches removal as part of their process.

However, as others have said, using a combination of Photoshop's built-in dust/scratches removal feature and manually removing them with Photoshop's tools is going to yield the best results. Especially if you are skilled with using Photoshop layers to really fine tune the fixes.

Thank you guys for your ideas and help. OK, I start with PS and will see how it goes (or rather how skilled I am :))
Petr

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back