• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

x32 SF (2 Viewers)

AlbertoJ

When a Zeiss SF 8x32?

Zeiss hasn't any 8x32 alpha binocular.
And now they have just upgraded their 8x42 SF with several improvements.
I think now it could be the time to deliver a 8x32 SF black binocular.

Jan: Do you think you would sell any 8x32 SF:s? I guess most serious birders buy 42mm?
And less serious birders don't want to pay that much and prefers the Conquest HD, which did not exist when the FL was released.

And would zeiss be able to make any profit at the current price point for the competition. About 1700 Euro for the 8x32 SV.
R&D, new production line etc. is expensive. Is there enough volume in the segment?
Perhaps Zeiss made it impossible for a 8x32 SF with the release of their budget bins...the market have changed.

Jan: Do you think you would sell any 8x32 SF:s? I guess most serious birders buy 42mm?
And less serious birders don't want to pay that much and prefers the Conquest HD, which did not exist when the FL was released.

And would zeiss be able to make any profit at the current price point for the competition. About 1700 Euro for the 8x32 SV.
R&D, new production line etc. is expensive. Is there enough volume in the segment?
Perhaps Zeiss made it impossible for a 8x32 SF with the release of their budget bins...the market have changed.

Hi Vesp,

I am not in the birding business. 80% is safari Africa.
Given the massive FOV of the 42 and the (hopefully) increased FOV of the 32 I think it will leave the SV 32 in the dark.
Zeiss is catching up in the SV segment with their SF. With a 32 and 50 line it will become equal (under the condition that the after sales/service keeps up with Swaro's level).
Via Schiphol Airport in 2016 more than 400.000 people went to Africa of which more than 100.000 people had a vacation destination and all are equiped with a bin.
Considering that for most of this target group money is not an issue and in 2016 we delivered >1000 pieces of optics to them, the potential (Zeiss) market is of Trump proportions.

Jan

Last edited:

HI VB

Basically I am sure you are right that a 42 is the versatile bin that most observers choose. But anyone that starts to think about a second pair will think seriously about a 32 not only as back-up but also for those times when they want to carry less weight or bulk. I have seen telescope-carrying birders using light 32s as their spotter then using their scope for serious viewing and digi-scoping. I carry a 32 for several reasons but one is when I am toting a lot of photo gear, or for those times when I don't expect to see much but just want bins with me in case I do.

If you are seriously birding for warblers in the dense French maqui with small birds wizzing between bushes at close distances then a quick on the draw 32 is better than a 42.

Then again, the fastest growing demographic in the Western World is the over 60s and although many struggle with lack of money equally many have plenty and don't want to carry a 42. They are abundant in our local bird reserves and many carry 32s.

Lee

Hi Vesp,

I am not in the birding business. 80% is safari Africa.
Given the massive FOV of the 42 and the (hopefully) increased FOV of the 32 I think it will leave the SV 32 in the dark.
Zeiss is catching up in the SV segment with their SF. With a 32 and 50 line it will become equal (under the condition that the after sales/service keeps up with Swaro's level).
Via Schiphol Airport more than 400.000 people went to Africa of which more than 100.000 people had a vacation destination and all are equiped with a bin.
Considering that for most of this target group money is not an issue and in 2016 we delivered >1000 pieces of optics to them, the potential (Zeiss) market is of Trump proportions.

Jan

If you need bins it's not Safari to me....I want to be able to poke the lions in the head. ;)
A 50mm SF would make me even more surprised with Zeiss already having 2 models in that size segment.
But I hope I'm wrong...a 50mm SF at 900 grams would be something..

Last edited:
HI VB

Basically I am sure you are right that a 42 is the versatile bin that most observers choose. But anyone that starts to think about a second pair will think seriously about a 32 not only as back-up but also for those times when they want to carry less weight or bulk.

Lee

Not everyone would buy a second pair for 2000 Euro.
And the Conquest HD 32mm is pretty good already right? ;)

And I'm not sure it's that easy to shrink the 42SF into a equally good 32mm bin.
Pretty much like developing a completely new bin I suspect?
But I guess the 32mm FL have to go sooner or later.

Last edited:
If you need bins it's not Safari to me....I want to be able to poke the lions in the head. ;)
A 50mm SF would make me even more surprised with Zeiss already having 2 models in that size segment.
But I hope I'm wrong...a 50mm SF at 900 grams would be something..

My closest encounter with lions was 1 1/2 meter from a open Landcruiser and when he started roaring right in my face.......by God......I wished I was 15 meters further away looking at him through a binocular.

Not everyone would buy a second pair for 2000 Euro.
And the Conquest HD 32mm is pretty good already right? ;)

And I'm not sure it's that easy to shrink the 42SF into a equally good 32mm bin.
Pretty much like developing a completely new bin I suspect?
But I guess the 32mm FL have to go sooner or later.

Agreed.
I, too, am curious as to whether the SF 32 will follow the concept of the 42 (long and a new kind of balance) or whether it will be more compact with conventional balance. If it comes with even wider field of view it would be very interesting.

Lee

A safari is tent camping, with an outside pit latrine and, on leaving, finding a lion in the way: thus spending the night in the PL!

I personally think a 32mm would sell, as long it's not too long and heavy. With 32mm bins compactness counts. A bit longer than the FL would be alright, I think, and a weight up to 650 gr.

Hermann

I personally think a 32mm would sell, as long it's not too long and heavy. With 32mm bins compactness counts. A bit longer than the FL would be alright, I think, and a weight up to 650 gr.

Hermann

Hermann:

If a new SF 8x32 is coming out, then expect it to be longer similar
to the EL SV. Nothing wrong with that, then it is similar to the 42
mm models.

Jerry

I'm a bit surprised that Zeiss has been so slow bringing a SF 32 to the market. I don't pretend to know what their sales figures are like for, let's say the Conquest line but I would think top shelf 32 would do well for Zeiss if the BF community is an indicator for what people purchase. Talking to my Swaro dealers here in the states, the EL SV32 is a pretty good seller.

The Swarovski and Leica 8x32 sell, so would Zeiss'. It's the ideal tourist binocular for older people whose necks would chafe from carrying a 8x42 all day, and for whom the larger exit pupil is wasted anyway. Then again, there is the new Victory Compact 8x25.

Another good way to shed weight is leather instead of rubber armor, as in the Leica Ultravid BL, absolutely delightful to hold as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back