• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

x32 SF (1 Viewer)

Last edited:
To illustrate a number of points in Henry’s post (#291):

A) Clearly the x32 SF (image 1, as provided by range in post #294, and lightened to better show the focuser rod)
differs fundamentally to the earlier x42 SF (image 2), both in relation to:
- objective construction, and
- eyepiece construction

B) And the x32 SF uses the same 1-2 objective configuration as the original Swarovski x42 SLC’s (image 3)
(this is in contrast the later introduced x50 and x56 SLC’s which used a 2-1 objective - like the x42 SF)

Looking at the x32 SF image:
- the focuser doublet fits into the focuser cage
- the front lens seems to fit into the ring located between the two groups in the illustration (?)
- the eyepiece comprises 6 groups - so at least 6 lenses
- the second last eyepiece group appears to be a doublet (as indicated by the central groove?), and
- there may very well be other doublets in the eyepiece unit

As Henry indicates, a less whiz-bang image would be far more useful

John

p.s. I've attached a view from the Zeiss video showing a somewhat different angle. It makes clear that the rear face of the focus wheel engages the focus mechanism
And on closer viewing the video showed that the front objective lens does seat in the ring that is shown between the front and rear objective groups

Attachments

• SF x32.jpg
    SF x32.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 105
  • SF x42.jpg
    SF x42.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Original SLC x42.jpg
    Original SLC x42.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Alternate view.jpg
    Alternate view.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
It looked neutral to me but I have never seen a green cast in any SF42. And I would really need to use the bino on many different days in different habitats with different light, to be confident about this. A full review would be needed.

Lee

I’d have thought that the previous generation would have been sold as “colour free”, can’t be much left to reduce?? At last a company expanding the view to where E2 users are used to? (Which aren’t exactly generous) Now for the detailed comparison!

Peter

What about the color ?
Still the famous Zeiss green cast or they improve toward more neutral color. ?

Your the only member on BF that reported this issue and returned your unit, other owners such as myself have not noticed any greenish hues - please stop exagerated mischief making and listen to others views, thanks. Maybe you will have an opportunity to review the new 32mm soon. I'm excited about looking through a pair

P

Your the only member on BF that reported this issue and returned your unit, other owners such as myself have not noticed any greenish hues - please stop exagerated mischief making and listen to others views, thanks. Maybe you will have an opportunity to review the new 32mm soon. I'm excited about looking through a pair

P

I'm not the only one who has reported green cast on Zeiss binoculars, many people complain about it also on this forum.

Green cast is a Zeiss signature to enhance contrast since long long time ago, and was very strong on at least first units of SF, Sure i need to check last units to see if still present.

Observing with Zeiss binoculars in a green landscape like in UK is very different than observing brown landscapes like those in Spain, in this case those beautiful greens goes to ugly and muted browns.
I am very happy with my 8X54 HT just because the green cast is weak compared to first generations of SF that's why i have it and only use it on cloudy dark winter days.

Colours on binoculars.

http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/articles/coloursandbrightness.html

blue-green centric transmission curve ( The View part of the review )

http://scopeviews.co.uk/ZeissVictory7X42FL.htm

As soon the new SF x32 become available i will check it and the latest SF X42 model again.

Green cast is a Zeiss signature to enhance contrast since long long time ago, and was very strong on at least first units of SF, Sure i need to check last units to see if still present.

Observing with Zeiss binoculars in a green landscape like in UK is very different than observing brown landscapes like those in Spain, in this case those beautiful greens goes to ugly and muted browns.

I have an early grey SF 10x42 and black SF 8x42 and have used both on the almost bare limestone causses of Southern France and never saw any green cast. Neither have I seen it on the huge white shell-sand beaches of the Western Isles of Scotland.

I am not trying to tell you that you didn't see it, but I haven't seen it in any Zeiss binoculars, so I certainly wouldn't describe this as a signature.

Hope you get to try out the SF32s in May.

Lee

My community complains a lot about the hue of SF 42, but it is not a green cast, but more a yellowish thing.
I can feel the tint but I'm not bothered, however some other people are cos every eye is different on color sensitivity.
Hope the 32 do better than 42.

I have an early grey SF 10x42 and black SF 8x42 and have used both on the almost bare limestone causses of Southern France and never saw any green cast. Neither have I seen it on the huge white shell-sand beaches of the Western Isles of Scotland.

I am not trying to tell you that you didn't see it, but I haven't seen it in any Zeiss binoculars, so I certainly wouldn't describe this as a signature.

Hope you get to try out the SF32s in May.

Lee

The main factor to notice any color cast is the target itself, the kind of landscape and its colours.

The problem is the coating, SF coating are strong reddish so greens are strongly represented
HT coating have are reddish and also there is a green reflection on it, in consequence the green cast is less pronounced.

Tobias Mennle says on Greatest binoculars website.

Colour reproduction
to my eyes is problematic with a green cast. This is the second serious fault in the SF´s design. To me images often look a bit sick and muddy because of it. White objects, especially if in bright sun, will look white, as our brain will correct a lot of colour casts and bright highlights seem more robust with regards to colour casts. Midtones are stronger affected, as in grey birds. Accordingly, greens sparkle very saturated, but purples and skin tones are a bit subdued. Red autumn foliage will look browner and more desaturated compared with other glasses. Zeiss is really pushing it hard here and I resent this approach from the bottom of my heart. Zeiss, please change it.

I am a big Zeiss fan, a have a nice collection of old Zeiss Bins, and believe me that the first person not happy to complain about this is myself.

As photographer i have also few Zeiss camera lenses and not one of them have the coating color of SF Binocular, the only Binoculars who had so strong Reddish coating are My Carl Zeiss Jena 12x50B Nobilem Spezial, and even this binoculars despite the Strong Reddish coating have also a faint blue reflection.

So ZEISS tray to correct it.

Up to now I have not taken part in the discussion about the possible color cast of the Zeiss SF. However, my observations do not show any green color cast and these observations are solidly backed up by the transmission spectra we have measured for the SF's.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back