• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rufous chest(ed) Dotterel Charadrius modestus (1 Viewer)

Wickham

Skype username wickham43 (I have video)
The database does not yet show a Rufous Chest(ed) Dotterel Charadrius modestus.
The main gallery has two.
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/20539/sort/1/cat/all/page/1
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/60750/sort/1/cat/500/page/1
pbono's photo is much better quality than mine but his bird seems to be in moult whereas my bird looks in prime condition but it's a lousy photo because when I was working there I sent my colour prints back to UK to a cheap postal processing lab - big mistake!

It does appear that the correct name is rufous-chested Plover and you have correctly put it in the database using this name.

However, using any major search engine it is more often found called a rufous-chested Dotterel (although most Dotterels seem to be under other scientific names, not Charadrius).

This is a problem for your search engine - how can it find birds which have very commonly used alternative names? (I suppose the answer is to search for the scientific name but many people will not know this and prefer to search for the common name).

Is it possible to add a search tag for an alternative common name?

I realise that a search engine cannot cover all eventualities but at present, if you search for this bird in the main gallery it is listed as a dotterel but not a plover, but the reverse in the bird database.

Some birds are known by an alternative common name while the official common name is hardly ever used, so the main gallery search engine is using the name the photographer gave the bird while the database is using the correct common name.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back