• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

anyone help re laser printer? (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I have a black and white HP laserjet 1000 series printer. It has been v good but now I often get a problem with a smudge appearing on the printed document, often picking up a bit of text and repeating it down the page. I hope it can be seen on the attched photo.
Has anyone any suggestions on what is causing this and what can be done about it?
Thanks, Ken

Attachments

• silver-Y 001 (2).jpg
    silver-Y 001 (2).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 170
Looks like a drum cleaning issue, Ken - can't remember much about the theory of laser printing though.

I have a paper kicking around about them, I'll see if I can find it.

Andy.

Thanks, Andy. The instructions on-line from HP are too complicated for me... it sounds as if you need a degree in electronics to clean the thing.
Ken

Surreybirder said:
I have a black and white HP laserjet 1000 series printer. It has been v good but now I often get a problem with a smudge appearing on the printed document, often picking up a bit of text and repeating it down the page. I hope it can be seen on the attched photo.
Has anyone any suggestions on what is causing this and what can be done about it?
Thanks, Ken

Try taking the toner cartridge out and gently shaking it. Sometimes the toner gets a bit 'stodgy'. Not guaranteed, but it sometimes works..

Thanks for the advice.
How long should a toner cartridge last. I think mine must have been in there for a couple of years... I don't use it an enormous amount.
Ken

Surreybirder said:
Thanks for the advice.
How long should a toner cartridge last. I think mine must have been in there for a couple of years... I don't use it an enormous amount.
Ken

There should be plenty left. I had a HP laser printer and it lasted 10 years, but all I printed was letetsr stc. If you print pictures, then it will last a lot loess obviously.

Surreybirder said:
Thanks, Ken
You might find the answer here, Ken:

http://www.ing.iac.es/~cfg/pub_notes/HP/ch8.htm#ver_rep

Best of luck! I feel sure that I had the same problem with my old LaserJet 6 and, if I remember, HP produced a free downloadable program that made three sheets of "cleaning paper" that had to be fed back through the machine to clean it. Sadly, I can't locate that program anywhere.

Surreybirder said:
Thanks, Ken
Hi,
Look also at the fuser roller, it could be that a build up of toner, which in effect is just magnetic dust has marked the roller which is then being transferred on print. Also when the print comes out, can you smudge the print by rubbing it, if so then it will be your fuser not getting hot enough to melt the toner onto the page. To find out where the problem lies, if you have a repeating image appearing then the distance between each repeat will state which roller is contaminated, invariably fuser rollers are smaller than drums.
Sorry just realised you said you havent used it much, it could be that the internal wiper in the cartridge has become dried out and brittle, especially if you leave the printer turned on for long periods without use, try turning it off, taking the cartridge out and leaving it in a coolish room for a day or so to see if it helps, though must admit sounds like you may need a new cartridge, as I most HP cartridges cant be opened to allow the moisture in the air to rehydrate the wiper.

Thanks, Steve and Stuart.
As far as I can tell the pattern repeats every 76mm. I'll try doing a bit of cleaning. I suspect that it is to do with what Stuart says as my computer tends to be on for about 12 or more hours per day and I don't do that much printing. If cleaning doesn't help I guess I'll have to buy another cartridge. (They are pretty expensive!) The printer doesn't seem to have a separate on/off switch - perhaps HP like people to leave it on for as long as possible!
Ken

Thanks for everyone's input.
I took the cartridge out and whacked it about a bit; dusted all the innards and the outside of the cartridge and it is about 90% better. So it looks as if it's more or less sorted. I must get into the habit of pulling the power cable out when I'm not using the printer. Why couldn't they have an on/off switch like most printers do?
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back