• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (10 Viewers)

Bob O has a Little egret on Moors.
He also has the LRP chick at Flashes that is now 4 days old. The adults are periodically incubating the other 3 eggs

Last edited:
Early morning update courtesy of JTB and Rob Guest:

Flashes - 9 LR Plover (plus 1 chick still), 11 Green Sand, 3 juv Redshank, 3 Common Sand, 24 young Avocet, several juv Shovelers, 2 juv Shelduck, 2 adult + 2 juv Common Terns, juv Redstart, 2 Raven

Sailing Pool - 6 Common Terns, 2 Egyptian Geese still (will be handy for the Autumn All-Day Birdwatch in 6 weeks time!)

Last edited:
Early morning update courtesy of JTB and Rob Guest:

Flashes - 9 LR Plover (plus 1 chick still), 11 Green Sand, 3 juv Redshank, 3 Common Sand, 24 young Avocet, several juv Shovelers, 2 juv Shelduck, 2 adult + 2 juv Common Terns, juv Redstart, 2 Raven

Sailing Pool - 6 Common Terns, 2 Egyptian Geese still (will be handy for the Autumn All-Day Birdwatch in 6 weeks time!)

Hi Phil will that be the 3rd September ?
Cheers Dave (YAMYAM)

arrived at 5.30 am. at Sailing pool where 14 common terns were fishing. Also Little grebe juv GCG. tufted 6 moulting ads. kingfisher.
On to the Flashes, with blackcap and chiffchaff calling enroute. Luckily the sun hadn't broken through the clouds so I could check out the waders. The 'saucer' was awash with birds where the Avocet have become a bit more placid towards some of the birds other than coot and moorhen. They also appear to be loosely guarding the LRP chick against the BHG'S. Considering it was hot and sticky and it's only the 3rd week of July the was a lot of action.
The most noticeable aspect of the morning was the 'quietness '. The BHG have album departed other than a few as yet fledged birds, but there were no more than 100. It was great to see the redshank quietly getting on with growing alone in the 'delta' getting no hassle at all. The juvs looking very streamlined and 'woodsandish'.
After nearly 5 hours things were warming up temperature wise so I moved off to the Moors. A sedge warbler sang along the Hen Brook with several reed warblers accompanying in subsonic.
Species count Flashes :
Teal 6. Shoveler 10. mallard - 3 more youngish broods now bringing the total to 23 at least .
Shelduck 2 juv.
Avocet 24 juv/ chicks 15 ads. Redshank ad +3 juvs. LRP 9 (6 juvs)+ 5 day old chick. lapwing 75. oystercatchers 2. Green sand 11. Common sand 3.
Common tern 6 (2juvs being fed almost certainly our birds ).
Buzzard 3 (juvs calling).Raven 2 on their nest pylon. Stock dove 30 +
Redstart juv. Pied wag 2. sedge warbler. Reed warbler 3. blackcap. chiffchaff 5. Linnet 5. goldfinch 20. sand martin 5. song thrush 2. greenfinch singing not a common breeding species . Reed bunting 6.

I was going to only check on the terns and I was told that it was very quiet. Just before arriving in the east hide I noticed an adult stock dove on the path. I picked it up and checked it for injuries. It seemed perfect so I put it in the shade and if it was still there I was going to take it to the vets.
From the hide I could see that the terns were doing well and a gang of adults were very vocal perched around the rafts. The 2 youngest chicks were growing fast. A pair which will be the 5th pair of the year were sitting.
After a few minutes birds were appearing all over the place. A kingfisher flew through, Common sand and oystercatchers dropped in. Then panic amongst the coot flock saw them swim away from the reeds near the sluice basin. I scoped th looking for an otter without success. However I did discover a few good birds including a juv pochard, a brood of 2 half grown gadwall chicks different to the original brood and 2 well grown and a juv Little Grebe. Also several gadwall which may have included a juv. It just goes to show that don't always believe it when someone says there's nothing about8-P
Oh and sadly the stock dove died, I have taken it to Jason Waine for an autopsy.
Species count MOORS :
GCG 4. little grebe 8+2 ch and a juv. Cormorant 6. Mute swan 5 cygnets. Gadwall 8+2 chicks. Teal 2. mallard c 80. tufted 20 broods min with very fresh chicks. Pochard juv
Lapwing 20. oystercatcher 3. Common sand. Common tern 10 (1juv)+2 chicks.
Kestrel. Kingfisher. stock dove 3. swallow .
reed warblers. blackcap 2. chiffchaff 2.

I'm considering paying Upton a visit tomorrow, whereabouts was the Redstart seen?

When you walk towards the avocet at the Flashes. Go past cuckoo hide and you come to a bench after 100m .ok across the field behind the bench and it was in the hedgerow the other side of the field. :t:

Breeding Gadwall

A family party of with six ducklings was first noted at the Moors Pool on the 5th June. This was gradually reduced to just one young by the 10th July. There have been no further reports but it could easily be "lost" amongst the rafts of young and eclipse Mallards. Two medium sized chicks were then noted at the Moors Pool on the 19th and 23rd July (I should have clocked on Tuesday that these birds were too small to have been the original brood).

Dave J updates from the Flashes this morning:

17 Avocet (+ 24 young), 1 Redshank (+ 3 young), 8 Green Sandpiper, 1 Common Sandpiper, 9 LR Plover (2 adult, 7 juvs + 1 chick), 1 Oystercatcher, juv Redstart, 2 juv Shelduck, 5 Teal, 3 Shoveler, Water Rail.

2 Egyptian Geese and Grey Wagtail on the Sailing Pool

Last edited:
A family party of with six ducklings was first noted at the Moors Pool on the 5th June. This was gradually reduced to just one young by the 10th July. There have been no further reports but it could easily be "lost" amongst the rafts of young and eclipse Mallards. Two medium sized chicks were then noted at the Moors Pool on the 19th and 23rd July (I should have clocked on Tuesday that these birds were too small to have been the original brood).

Is this the first time we have had 2 broods in the same year.

Dave J reports from the Moors Pool;

10 Common Tern (8 adults, 2 juveniles + 2 chicks), 11 Little Grebe (7 adults, 4 juveniles + 5 chicks - 3:2), 35 Tufted Duck (+ 22 broods), 1 Little Egret, 2 Mute Swan (+ 5 cygnets), 4 Gadwall, 4 Shoveler, 7 Oystercatcher.

Full WeBS count to follow; Dave recorded a total of 64 species this morning.

Last edited:
Fritz,

Let us know if you find the Redstart.

I like your Latin motto but the pedant in me wonders if it should be "graciles".

Peter

Well... two chaps pointed out to me where the Redstart was, and I caught brief glimpses of something moving, but I all fairness I didn't feel I could tick it. I'll have another go in the week if it hangs around. :t:

a few off me

had a few hours yesterday and today mainly insects did see two mistle thrushes up salwarpe pity i missed a shot of adult redshank flying in with all three juv's but nice to see lrp chick.

Attachments

• DSC08896.jpg
    DSC08896.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC08994.jpg
    DSC08994.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC09003.JPG
    DSC09003.JPG
    779.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC09039.jpg
    DSC09039.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC09089.JPG
    DSC09089.JPG
    720.8 KB · Views: 45
Sunny evening at the Flashes this afternoon's showers not amounting to much. Things pretty much as you were apart from LRP are up (3 ad/6 juv) and Green & Common Sand are down to 7-8 & 1 respectively. Hoping for something in the roost as I missed this afternoon's Whimbrel... 😲

Users who are viewing this thread

Back