• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

Yesterday turned out to be a bit of a damp squib, with good conditions on paper producing just one passage Ringed Plover.

However tomorrow will be a totally different story. Clear conditions overnight will persaude birds to move but the day will be overcast from dawn with rain from 10 to 12 and then again from 5 onwards, backed by a (light) ENE wind. Again waders, terns, passage raptors, chats, pipits and wagtails could all be on the cards.

I will be putting my money where my mouth is and be down from dawn until late morning at least; John might be able to stay all day if "it" happens.

Yesterday turned out to be a bit of a damp squib, with good conditions on paper producing just one passage Ringed Plover.

However tomorrow will be a totally different story. Clear conditions overnight will persaude birds to move but the day will be overcast from dawn with rain from 10 to 12 and then again from 5 onwards, backed by a (light) ENE wind. Again waders, terns, passage raptors, chats, pipits and wagtails could all be on the cards.

I will be putting my money where my mouth is and be down from dawn until late morning at least; John might be able to stay all day if "it" happens.

...and I will have all my gear with me ready to hot foot it from the golf course just after lunch!...

That's put the death knell on it 8-P8-P

That's put the death knell on it 8-P8-P

Just looked at 3 different weather sites for tomorrow . 2 say it is going to rain from 7 till 11 and no rain till 5pm. The other says no rain until 5.:-C
If nothing happens tomorrow on the vis mig front then I will pack in birding.....well until Tuesday anyway that is8-P

Kingfisher

Don't normally post, well it's probably my first post but myself and DPSnapper had a great day here again and was rewarded with the Kingfisher putting on a excellent display at the concrete hide for 25 mins.The Kingfisher came twice when we were there 1st time just in and out but at 4pm he came back and stayed :)

The catch by David, on Flickr

enjoyable morning,Kingfisher very busy around sailing pool.still could a promising day sunshine and showers.

Attachments

• IMG_3829.JPG
    IMG_3829.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3830.JPG
    IMG_3830.JPG
    419.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3837.JPG
    IMG_3837.JPG
    440.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3838.JPG
    IMG_3838.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3842.JPG
    IMG_3842.JPG
    495 KB · Views: 64
Saturday 27th August 0530-1130

Sightings so far of myself, John, Gert and Dave J; John will post on this afternoon's progress later:

FLASHES
3 juv Curlew Sand (now into their 8th day), 4 Common Sand, 2 Green Sand, 17 Curlew, 3 Snipe, juv Ringed Plover, no sign of LRP, now only 3 Avocet, 70 Lapwing, 20 Shoveler, c400 Mallard (including one tending to a Tufted duckling), 73 Teal, 1 Tufted Duck, 2 Egyptian Geese, 370 Canada Geese, 34 Greylag Geese, Little Egret through, c500 BH Gull (incl ringed bird- white 2K44), 1 juv Little Grebe, Water Rail, 29 Coot, 47 Moorhen, 1+ Common Tern first thing, 2 LBB Gull, Redstart, 2 Raven, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Reed Warbler, Grey Wagtail, Goldcrest, Kingfisher, Green & GS Woodpecker.
3 Roe Deer as per Tim.

SAILING POOL
Heavily disturbed by swimmers again
1 GC Grebe (adult), 5 Coot, 1 Tufted Duck, Kingfisher, 1 Common Sand

MOORS POOL
1 Grey Heron, 5 Cormorant, 2 GC Grebe (adult + juv), 14 Little Grebe (adult / juv) + 1 young, 2 Mute Swan + 5 cygnets, broadly the same geese as the Flashes (2 Egyptian, 30 Greylag & 275 Canada), 4 Teal, 7 Shoveler, 3 Gadwall, c100 Tufted Duck, c150 Coot, 8 Moorhen, 2 LBB Gull, 6 Lapwing, Hobby, Buzzard, 2 single Yellow Wagtail over, 3 Nuthatch, Cetti's Warbler, Willow Warbler, Swallow, House Martin, Kingfisher, 2 Mistle Thrush, Sedge + Reed Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat

Last edited:
Don't normally post, well it's probably my first post but myself and DPSnapper had a great day here again and was rewarded with the Kingfisher putting on a excellent display at the concrete hide for 25 mins.The Kingfisher came twice when we were there 1st time just in and out but at 4pm he came back and stayed :)

The catch by David, on Flickr

Nice one Dave,nice to see them

Sightings so far of myself, John, Gert and Dave J; John will post on this afternoon's progress later:

FLASHES
3 juv Curlew Sand (now into their 8th day), 4 Common Sand, 2 Green Sand, 17 Curlew, 3 Snipe, juv Ringed Plover, no sign of LRP, now only 3 Avocet, 70 Lapwing, 20 Shoveler, c400 Mallard (including one tending to a Tufted duckling), 73 Teal, 1 Tufted Duck, 2 Egyptian Geese, 370 Canada Geese, 34 Greylag Geese, Little Egret through, c500 BH Gull (incl ringed bird- white 2K44), 1 juv Little Grebe, Water Rail, 29 Coot, 47 Moorhen, 1+ Common Tern first thing, 2 LBB Gull, Redstart, 2 Raven, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Reed Warbler, Grey Wagtail, Goldcrest, Kingfisher, Green & GS Woodpecker

[Broat
In addition to Phil's sighting
Teal 87. Shoveler 29.
Curlew 18. lapwing 85. Green sand 3.
Common tern 2 roosted. BHG 750. herring gull 2 juvs
stock dove 95. Jay. swallow 9. house martin 45.
Redstart am in usual hedge late on on fence along path by cuckoo hide (pete).
Cetti's Warbler. chiffchaff 8. lesser whitethroat 2. Whitethroat 2. blackcap 3. Reed warbler 5. goldcrest 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back