• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (45 Viewers)

Here you are MB

from today at the Flashes:

The Med gull was there when I arrived about 4.30 for a few minutes, didn't see it lift off but something put everything up shortly after & I couldn't pick it up again. May have been behind an island.

Rob

Nice, lets hope it sticks around a few more days untill the weekend, would be nice to see a 'sp' bird
Great shots!
MB

Many thanks both for the information as I said before I think this is one of the best hides for Warbler Photography just to prove my point here are a few pic's

I spent about an hour in there yesterday & although I didn't get any pics (apart from some of an acrobatic Ladybird!) there was a lot of bird movement. Probably Reed Warblers but may have been some Sedgies as well. And it was pleasant just sittiing & listening to the sounds.

It's real pleasing to hear positive comments from others who use the reserve especially as there have been quite a few 'negative knockers' recently. Thanks Adrian.

Lovely pics too, enjoyed seeing them.

Rob

Flooded

Just been informed by Peter E, that the Flashes has flooded from 0.46 to 0.6 that is 6 inches in just a couple of hours the hen pool bridge is under water. . Thankfully all 7 Avocet chicks are ok, but the LRP will have no chance. Also 2 green sands. Anyone going down will need wellies.
:-C:-Cjohn

Danger: Just at flashes. Bordwalk flooded 6in at present & getting deeper as I look. Put closure notice at entrance until further notice. If anyone thinks someone may be in one of the hides get in touch with them to advise please. Going to moors to check there now.

Rob

Not sure I have ever known it so bad - would be interesting to see some photos (if your cameras are not waterlogged)

Last edited:
Any idea if the three Oyk chicks managed to get out of the way?

Just got back from Uw Phil. Waded through to east hide with JB. Managed to see two Oyc chicks together but there might be a third maybe. Water flow from the river has noticeably slowed while we watched so situation should improve unless we have another deluge tonight.

I have left the closure notice at the flashes entrance for time being. I will go & have a look am tomorrow.
Photos will be appearing shortly.

Rob

Just got back from Uw Phil. Waded through to east hide with JB. Managed to see two Oyc chicks together but there might be a third maybe. Water flow from the river has noticeably slowed while we watched so situation should improve unless we have another deluge tonight.

I have left the closure notice at the flashes entrance for time being. I will go & have a look am tomorrow.
Photos will be appearing shortly.

Rob

Thanks Rob - stirling work. After everything that has been thrown at this particular LRP pair (I am assuming it was the first pair that abandoned?) with all the fox attempts to dig out the nest, to hatch chicks and then lose them within a few days is very disheartening.

The first few images of the flood today at the Moors.

1. Cascade down the bank left of the East Hide
2. The post that used to be 3 or 4 ft above the water.
3. Another cascade next to the Sand Martin bank.
4. Same cascade later in the day when the flow was slowing.
5. Whats left of the rail parallel to the concrete hide.

More to follow.

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB5503 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB5503 - Version 2.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 183
  • _ROB5506 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB5506 - Version 2.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 147
  • _ROB5539 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB5539 - Version 2.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 181
  • _ROB5613 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB5613 - Version 2.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 169
  • _ROB5596 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB5596 - Version 2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 168
Thanks Rob - stirling work. After everything that has been thrown at this particular LRP pair (I am assuming it was the first pair that abandoned?) with all the fox attempts to dig out the nest, to hatch chicks and then lose them within a few days is very disheartening.

Just shows you, all we did for them. from 'caging' them, night time vigil against egg collectors and more fox attacks, re-shingling and adding more mesh, after fox partially dug them out, manipulating the water to stop flooding. Then in 40 minutes the storm of all storms drowns the chicks. that's nature in the raw cruel, at times, but we will be back for more next year.:-C

Just shows you, all we did for them. from 'caging' them, night time vigil against egg collectors and more fox attacks, re-shingling and adding more mesh, after fox partially dug them out, manipulating the water to stop flooding. Then in 40 minutes the storm of all storms drowns the chicks. that's nature in the raw cruel, at times, but we will be back for more next year.:-C

Was more than one chick ever seen from this brood John?

Few more flood pics.

1. At least one Great Crested Grebe chick survives.
2. Another cascade the other side of the SM bank.
3. Where once we drove now swans swim. Causeway.
4. The Flashes boardwalk as I arrived.
5. Same view 20 mins later!

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB5631 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB5631 - Version 2.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 119
  • _ROB5653 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB5653 - Version 2.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 143
  • _ROB5658.jpg
    _ROB5658.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_7009 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC_7009 - Version 2.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_7021 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC_7021 - Version 2.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 199
More pictures from today these are along the causeway, where shoals of large fish were swimming.
1. From the car park side
2. my Mrs and Rob
3. should read no mooring
4. the aquatic variety of bee orchid
5 a victim

There were reed warblers singing as the water dropped and a water rail called on the moors side of the causeway.
The only thing to really benefit was the dragonflies they were everywhere
B :)John

Attachments

• 5Causeway (2).JPG
    5Causeway (2).JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 1SUE and Rob on causeway (2).JPG
    1SUE and Rob on causeway (2).JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 2bee orchid (2).JPG
    2bee orchid (2).JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 146