• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backpack (1 Viewer)

proudpapa56

Where'd you go, stay put!
United States
I would like to find a backpack that can fit a Swarovski STX 95 Spotting Scope w/ Nikon D7200 attached with TLS-APO, and a tripod, and usual extra stuff.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

I recently bought a mindshift horizon. The cool thing is that you can keep the camera in a special compartment that can be rotated in front of you, like a belt pack. So the digiscoping cam is really quickly accessible when you're on the move (when your birding/digiscoping is more stationary, a ordinary photo backpack is probably better).

I can fit my Swaro ATM HD 80 in the top compartment. With the 95 ATX, it could get a bit tight, but there is a larger pro version as well.

See also this thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=294998

Thanks Florian,
Even the larger pro model isn't long enough but they to make another line that does have a longer model.

I looked up the dimension of the ATX 95, it says 426 mm long. I think that is only 3 cm more than the ATM 80. The ATM fits in my backpack (the Horizon), so there are chances that the ATX 95 fits as well...

With end caps, my STX 95 is 47cm. Mindshift's web sight says the Horizon is 28cm, the Pro 35.5cm, and the Firstlight 40L is 51cm.
I'm going to have to think about this.

Last edited:
I put my scope in somewhat diagonally, then it fits well. 47 cm is bigger indeed, might still fit with some squeezing, or perhaps does not fit any more. You'll have to try (or have some dealer who carries both the bag and the scope try it for you).

Just to repeat: these mindshift rotation bags are quite special, most useful when you're doing hikes or move a lot while birding. If that's what you do, they are great. I really like the Horizon, it is slimmer than the rather bulky Pro, and quite close in shape to a classical hiking backpack.

The Firstlight are different, they are for carrying big lenses and don't have the rotation feature, so more like classical photo backpacks I guess.

Last edited:
I called Swarovski to see if they had any recommendations and they got back to me with F-Stop Gear. Then I called them, and the perfect fit would be the Sukha shell with the ICU Master Interior. Wonderful, but we're going to be up over $500.
I know you like the rotation bag but my main objective is mainly just getting from point A to B without my forearms feeling like they've had a hammer taken to them.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back