• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of prey i Vietnam (1 Viewer)

Eurasian Hobbies are seen on migration in March and October, but usually in the North. Resident birds in summer in the South are likely to be Oriental Hobby.

Okey, you're probably right then, but since it looked like a eurasian to me I delete it and add one to unknowns.

Updated list:

Raptor count Vietnam
Birding days: 8
Species seen: 7
Crested Goshawk 1
Shikra 1
Crested serpent eagle 2
Crested honey buzzard 8
Osprey 1
Black eagle 1
Black kite 2
Unidentified raptors: 8
Total number of raptors: 24

If any one knows if there's any pied falconets at Cuc Phuong I'm interested to know? And if so - is there some part of the park where they are more likely to be? Going there for 2-3 days if the weather is okey.

Today I saw 1 black eagle really close over the canopy, 1 black kite, and 2 unidentified eagles/buzzards, both far away. At Phong Nha Ke Bang.

Raptor count Vietnam
Birding days: 9
Crested Goshawk 1
Shikra 1
Crested serpent eagle 2
Crested honey buzzard 8
Osprey 1
Black eagle 2
Black kite 3
Unidentified raptors: 10
Total number of raptors: 28

Cuc Phuong and surroundings, 1 black eagle, 1 crested goshawk. Heavy rain both in the morning and afternoon.

Raptor count Vietnam
Birding days: 10
Crested Goshawk 2
Shikra 1
Crested serpent eagle 2
Crested honey buzzard 8
Osprey 1
Black eagle 3
Black kite 3
Unidentified raptors: 10
Total number of raptors: 30

1 black-shouldered kite and 1 hawk I couldn't id, Red River Island, Hanoi. Saw them around one kilometer north of the bridge, wanted to go to the north end of the island, but an aggressive dog blocked the only path, I just couldn't get around it. On the way back a half breed dobberman blocked my path, it was growling and drooling and walking towards me until someone finally called it back. If I go there again I will go by motorbike, cause the dogs didn't react when people drove by.

Raptor count Vietnam
Birding days: 11
Species seen: 8
Crested Goshawk 2
Shikra 1
Crested serpent eagle 2
Crested honey buzzard 8
Osprey 1
Black eagle 3
Black kite 3
Black-shouldered kite 1
Unidentified raptors: 11
Total number of raptors: 32

Left Hanoi for a detour to Phu Quoc before going back to Saigon where I'll fly home. Rainy weather all over Vietnam. Saw a brahminy kite on the northwest coast during a pause between showers and thunderstorms.

Raptor count Vietnam
Birding days: 12
Species seen: 9
Crested Goshawk 2
Shikra 1
Crested serpent eagle 2
Crested honey buzzard 8
Osprey 1
Black eagle 3
Black kite 3
Black-shouldered kite 1
Brahminy kite 1
Unidentified raptors: 11
Total number of raptors: 33

If any one knows if there's any pied falconets at Cuc Phuong I'm interested to know? And if so - is there some part of the park where they are more likely to be? Going there for 2-3 days if the weather is okey.

Too late now, perhaps, but Pied Falconets are usually seen perched high up on bare treetops in more open areas along the main road through the park

Not been birding today, but I saw a black-shouldered kite hunting outside my gate at the airport at Phu Quoc while I was waiting for a delayed plane, and earlier a buzzard/kite/smaller eagle gliding in the rain while I was driving motorbike in heavy traffic, couldn't stop, hardly dared to look. So I count this day for the records.

Back in Saigon this evening, where I will stay til I go home the 24th. If the weather gets better - very unlikely - I might go to Mekong delta for a day. But probably I won't do more birding than maybe take a walk in a park or similar on this trip.

Raptor count Vietnam
Birding days: 13
Species seen: 9
Crested Goshawk 2
Shikra 1
Crested serpent eagle 2
Crested honey buzzard 8
Osprey 1
Black eagle 3
Black kite 3
Black-shouldered kite 2
Brahminy kite 1
Unidentified raptors: 12
Total number of raptors: 35

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back