• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

close focus distance (1 Viewer)

jeff.cole

I have a pair of Leitz Trinovid 8x40 bonos. I recently had them cleaned and now it seems that the close focus distance is greater than it was. Can anyone tell me what the close focus distance should be? It is now about 8 metres, which means I have to move away from a bird in order to see it.
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff,

I think 8m is about right for the factory setting. In the US Leitz used to offer a "close focus" modification which removed some focus travel beyond infinity and added it to the close end. That allowed close focus to about 5m. It sounds like you have a pair that was modified. Whoever did the cleaning must have returned them to the original factory setting and ought to be able to restore the modification.

Henry

Last edited:
Thanks Henry,
Unfortunately the dealer is some 2000 km away so it is not just a case of dropping in. Also, I need the binocs for work so I may have to wait a while.

Jeff

Close Focus Distance

It should not be possible to alter the close focus distance when cleaning the binocular. The distance adjustment is set by spacers behind the object lenses. It is very difficult to remove these and then forget to put them back.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back