• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reasonably Priced Leica's?? (1 Viewer)

carlos88

Does anyone have any suggetsions as to an international online source of Leica bino's? 'Gray imports' don'y worry me as I figure with quality gear the chance of a warranty issue is pretty remote.......

carlos88 said:
'Gray imports' don'y worry me as I figure with quality gear the chance of a warranty issue is pretty remote.......

I would'nt bank on that. At least 2 of my mates have had their Trinovids replaced after water got in.

Mark

M N Reeder said:
I would'nt bank on that. At least 2 of my mates have had their Trinovids replaced after water got in.

Mark

Leica makes a point of telling you not to clean the bin under a faucet due to variations in water pressure. I assume they mean don't expose the bin to any pressurized water. Also, it's essential to have the diopter mechanism closed at all times, except during adjustment. There's an O-ring on the shaft and it has a purpose!

John

Curtis Croulet said:
Hmm. Aren't they guaranteed to survive depths of 5 m or something like that?

Curtis,

I think they're just being cautious because people have probably taken the garden house to them one too many times! Underwater, pressure is evenly distributed so seals have a better chance of functioning according to design.

Looking at quality roof designs there shouldn't be many places for water to leak in.

I don't understand the 5m limit. Personally, I'd never use them below 3m, but that's just me.

John

yes, but only for a short lenght of time, as for washing dirt from leicas, only submerse them briefly - dont leave them overnight!

as for grey imports etc, i would only recomend buying from a authentic dealer only. if they still seem expensive and you have to have leica, most shops do finance, or buy second hand. plenty come up now and again for sale on this forum.

i have heard too many horror stories of inferior examples of top-end bins, causing misery for owners out to get a bargain. dont let yourself be one!

i have 2 pairs of leica binoculars, and 1 scope - all bought at authentic dealer shops, and they have never let me down. the quality is first class, and the performance outstanding. they are always going to be expensive wichever way you buy, remember your paying for a top brand!

Acknowledging that the situation with warranties in other countries may not be the same as it is in the US, where "lifetime" warranties are used as a marketing tool, my own opinion is resoundingly in favor of purchasing through authorized channels. Buy from authorized channels to benefit from whatever enhanced warranty incentives the maker has to offer. These products are expensive. Accept it. Aside from whatever optical marvels these products perform, you are also buying the cachet that other birders will recognize that you have bought the "best." You don't want to buy the "best," only to then discover that you have to ship them back to Germany for service ("Where'd your Leica binoculars go?" "Oh (sheepish grin), I had had send them to Germany because they weren't sharp." "$1500 and they weren't sharp? My $69 Wal-Mart specials are sharp!").

Curtis Croulet said:
Acknowledging that the situation with warranties in other countries may not be the same as it is in the US, where "lifetime" warranties are used as a marketing tool, my own opinion is resoundingly in favor of purchasing through authorized channels. Buy from authorized channels to benefit from whatever enhanced warranty incentives the maker has to offer. These products are expensive. Accept it. Aside from whatever optical marvels these products perform, you are also buying the cachet that other birders will recognize that you have bought the "best." You don't want to buy the "best," only to then discover that you have to ship them back to Germany for service ("Where'd your Leica binoculars go?" "Oh (sheepish grin), I had had send them to Germany because they weren't sharp." "$1500 and they weren't sharp? My $69 Wal-Mart specials are sharp!").

I assume you're serious, in which case, what a load of tosh!
Buying "cachet"??...I've always bought optics to enhance my chances of seeing/ID'ing birds and would be horrified to think that there is this designer snobbery involved in the process.

carlos88 said:
Does anyone have any suggestions as to an international online source of Leica bino's? 'Gray imports' don'y worry me as I figure with quality gear the chance of a warranty issue is pretty remote.......

I suggest you check some US companies. It seems there is more competition there and thus prices have a tendency to be lower. A reliable place that also ships internationally is B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

But there are others. Unfortunately, Eagle Optics who have even better prices and who also have a good reputation do only business within the US.

Last edited:
ranburr said:
Reasonable cost Leica, I believe that is what you call a Minox.

ranburr

Yes, indeed. "Gray market" and damaged goods circulate over the internet, particularly Leica for some reason. I had to return two ultravids and one trinovid before completely losing confidence in the brand. Then I started to worry about repair services. Oh, no.

So, as others have advised, if you want a Leica it's worth buying a factory fresh pair from a local dealer or a reputable organization like Eagle Optics or Cabela's. I would not accept a box that's been opened.

Elkcub

Swissboy said:
Unless it comes from Mirakel Optics. Or how else could they possibly check all optics before the sell them.

er, ... opened by parties unknown. Boy, gotta be careful. |<|

LEICA TRINOVID 10X50 BN Reasonable Price sold on ebay

LEICA TRINOVID 10X50 BN Binoculars
I have a new pair of Leica 10X50 trinovid binoculars for sale and would like to see them find a good home.

The binoculars on auction in this ad are new, not demos.

Item History: These binoculars were supplied to me by Leica in replacement of my previous pair
under my warranty this April 2005, just a few weeks ago.

To see photos of these binoculars go to:
see the ebay ad

I have been birdwatching for over 40 years and can tell you that these are fantastic binoculars
for birdwatching and will no doubt make their fortunate next owner very happy.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back