• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to photograph swallows (1 Viewer)

I was once told by a pro tog use all your focus points. Against a clear sky it works very well and with the bird being small DOF isn't usually a problem.I find the biggest challenge is getting the exposure right.

Some snaps

At long last, I have identified some snaps of swallows etc in flight and got round to re-sizing them.

One of the swallows is from Poland, but all the other birds are local - some from over our garden.

0164 Barn Swallow BF.jpg

0627 House Martin BF.jpg

0634 House Martin BF.jpg

0675 SwiftBF.jpg

0750 Sand Martin BF2.jpg

Colin

PS Drone flies and dragonflies are also fun when hovering

Also since you are into taking images of BIF, I have a question. I like to take BIF as well but am located in the New England area, and my images seem to be more of smaller BIF, and What lens to use with my 1DMKIV. Right now I use the 100-400v2 and its an excellent lens, but I want something that aquires the target a little faster, and was thinking of either of the versions of the 300 2.8 or the newer version of the 400DO.
I've read both your reports on both lenses and both are terrific, but which do you think would be better for say faster birds like Swallows ?

Those are great in flight shots. I was talking to someone the other day who shoots about the same places I do and we meet up quite a few times. He was telling me a lot of people seem to shoot the middle to larger size birds, he was talking mostly perched , but some in flight as well.
So he was going to try the smaller birds, even the more common chickadees , sparrows and other birds. He does his own prints as well and is using the new Canon 50Mp 5DSR. The prints were huge, some as large as 30x40, and the sparrows and others he showed me are amazingly beautiful, with detail I had never even seen before. I only wish I had one here to post.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back