• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Florida request for info (1 Viewer)

adkr

griz
I am going to be in Southern Florida for 3 full days 4/5 and 6 January - intend taking a full day eco tour for 1 day in the Everglades. Anyone any thoughts on best birding places? Many thanks. Andrew

Bill Pranty's guide (Lane's Birders Guide series) is excellent, but it looks as though the new edition hasn't come out yet - Amazon just lists another seller charging $95, which is a bit pricey for a spiral bound guide.

The Great Florida Birding Trail guides are also very good - but the Southern section hasn't been published yet.

The Florida Wildlife Viewing Guide has a list of sites, and seems to be available more reasonably second hand through Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...9?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

When I started writing this reply I thought there was a list of things I could recommend - when I checked them I suddenly realised just how few of them were available.

You probably would do better if this thread was in the "information wanted" section. Go there and do a search for Southern Florida, and several threads should come up.

Niels

infopt2000 said:
Bill Pranty's guide (Lane's Birders Guide series) is excellent, but it looks as though the new edition hasn't come out yet - Amazon just lists another seller charging $95, which is a bit pricey for a spiral bound guide.

I understand that Bill Pranty's revised Florida guide will be delivered to ABA on Nov. 17th.

I am going to Southern Florida and have 3 days from 4th January. Planning one day on an everglades safari and am looking to either do bird watching - perhaps down to Flamingo one day and the upper keys area the second although if anyone knew of any ringing/banding going on I'd be happy to assist. Anyone any thought? Many thanks. Andrew

I have not been there recently, but as you might have seen in previous threads, I liked the Corkscrew Swamp (Audubon) and an Air-boat ride starting from the north side of Tamiami Trail when I was in that area a Christmas holiday some years ago. Things like the white-crowned pigeon could be found in the upper keys.

Niels

2 days birding in south florida isn't much. Get a copy of Bill pranty's - A birders Guide to Florida. (ABA guide). Much of the everglades can be dissapointing if you don't know the hot spots - His guide (by far the best guide for the whole area) helps alot. US 'safaris' I've found all dissapointing. I've found far more on my own. Alligators are very easy to see. There are a few hot spots for Panther but I've never seen them - very hard. American crocodile is a little trickier but can be picked up possibly in a few well documented places including flamingo (estuary flats)

Lots of gems in and around the everglades - but first two thirds of park can be dissapointing.

White crowned pigeons are easy (see above mentioned guide)as are many other good species. The antillean night hawk is very easy at night (with spot light) in certain hot spots on the keys. If you do your research you can see alot.

good luck

infopt2000 said:

The Great Florida Birding Trail guides are also very good - but the Southern section hasn't been published yet.

The Florida Wildlife Viewing Guide has a list of sites, and seems to be available more reasonably second hand through Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...9?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

When I started writing this reply I thought there was a list of things I could recommend - when I checked them I suddenly realised just how few of them were available.

Pranty's book is on the shelf.

cassowary said:
2 days birding in south florida isn't much. Get a copy of Bill pranty's - A birders Guide to Florida. (ABA guide). Much of the everglades can be dissapointing if you don't know the hot spots - His guide (by far the best guide for the whole area) helps alot. US 'safaris' I've found all dissapointing. I've found far more on my own. Alligators are very easy to see. There are a few hot spots for Panther but I've never seen them - very hard. American crocodile is a little trickier but can be picked up possibly in a few well documented places including flamingo (estuary flats)

Lots of gems in and around the everglades - but first two thirds of park can be dissapointing.

White crowned pigeons are easy (see above mentioned guide)as are many other good species. The antillean night hawk is very easy at night (with spot light) in certain hot spots on the keys. If you do your research you can see alot.

good luck

mmmm the Everglades is fantastic in winter and with perserverence 20+ species of warbler can be had. The best trails for birding are the Long Pine Key, Gumbo Limbo and research road (all three are in the northern part of the park, the latter for White-tailed Kite), Mahogany Hammock, Snake Bight, Rowdy Bend and Eco Pond. From what I have heard the south end of the park has been closed due to damage from Hurricane Wilma so you may want to check. I did hear it may re-open in January. The rest of the park is ok. Lucky Hammock is a small square patch of trees not far from the entrance to the park. It often has some interesting birds. Ive seen Yellow-breasted Chat and several Painted Buntings there in winter.
Pranty's guide will give you more info on these areas I mentioned. Its a must buy for any birder visiting Florida and is available to buy now.

The Everglades though is much more than a place to go birding its an amazing place and shows the visitor what much of south florida once was, until we showed up. The visitor center is very good. If you want to go on an airboat ride travel west on the Tamiami trail and stop at Tiger Buffaloes airboat tours. They are very good and out of the way so many tourists miss them because of the shinier more publicised rip off merchants down the road. Their tour often lasts much longer. Check out the Snail Kite roost at the Miccosoukee rest area.

By the way you have more chance of seeing Lord Lucan than seeing a Panther! :king: :'D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back