• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best book for shorebirds? (1 Viewer)

There are probably several out there, the one I use is. Helm Field Guides. Waders of Europe, Asia and North America. By Stephen Message and Don Taylor.
ISBN 0-7136-5290X.
The artwork is good, it also has info on Key id features, Behaviour, Habitat, Plumages breeding and non breeding, racial variation and confusion species. It also has a very useful feature to help id birds in flight, it is a grid that shows upper wing patterns down the side of the page and upper tail patterns across the top of the page, where the two patterns are cross referenced is a list of possible species. Highly recommended.

Twite.

There are probably several out there, the one I use is. Helm Field Guides. Waders of Europe, Asia and North America. By Stephen Message and Don Taylor.
ISBN 0-7136-5290X.
The artwork is good, it also has info on Key id features, Behaviour, Habitat, Plumages breeding and non breeding, racial variation and confusion species. It also has a very useful feature to help id birds in flight, it is a grid that shows upper wing patterns down the side of the page and upper tail patterns across the top of the page, where the two patterns are cross referenced is a list of possible species. Highly recommended.

Twite.

What a coïncidence! I just (about 5 mins ago) ordered that book. :-O
I got red some reviews and i think this one is (one of) the best around! :t:
Cheers

Daniel

I really like my book "SHOREBIRDS, An identification guide to the waders of the world" by Peter Hayman, John Marchant and Tony Prater.

It is a bit hefty for a fieldguide and covers all species throughout the world but it makes a wonderful addition to my collection and is one of my fav's. The newer versions didn't print as nicely, the colour plates don't look as nice as my older version (1995).

Cheers,

Russ

I've got both the books mentioned and they are both very good. 'Shorebirds' (1995 copy) stays at home, whilst 'Waders' comes out with me if visiting the right habitat.
If you can find an old copy of the Larousse 'Fieldguide to the birds of Britain and Europe' by John Gooders ISBN 1-85697-0014-8 published 1995, it's worth a couple of quid. There's a cracking 2 page spread on identifying stints, also 2 page spread on warbler id, 2 pages on eagle id, the rest of the book is pants so don't buy a new copy.

Helm Field Guides. Waders of Europe, Asia and North America. By Stephen Message and Don Taylor.

I agree wholeheartedly - the plates are exquisite, down to individual feathers, and the book is worth the money for them alone. Also I recommend 'The Shorebird Guide' by O'Brien, Crossley, and Karlson [Helm] - an American book, it's excellent for nearctic vagrants, takes a novel and effective approach to identification, and has the most gorgeous photos I've ever had the pleasure to set my eyes on.. [And no, I have no ties whatsoever with authors, publishers, etc. ;) ]

I agree wholeheartedly - the plates are exquisite, down to individual feathers, and the book is worth the money for them alone. Also I recommend 'The Shorebird Guide' by O'Brien, Crossley, and Karlson [Helm] - an American book, it's excellent for nearctic vagrants, takes a novel and effective approach to identification, and has the most gorgeous photos I've ever had the pleasure to set my eyes on.. [And no, I have no ties whatsoever with authors, publishers, etc. ;) ]

I was going to suggest the same book... I love it! It gives a lot of good information on using shape and proportions to identify species, as well as pictures of numerous plumage variations.

And while it is a book on North American shorebirds, many species are found throughout the northern hemisphere, and the book includes a number of Eurasian vagrants. But most important is their approach to shorebird identification. I think it would be very useful to birders in Europe in conjunction with another guide.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back