• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds seen within Leicester city boundry. (1 Viewer)

Parker

Uncomfortably Numb.
Prompted by Daves sighting of a Red Kite over Morrisons a few days ago I thought it might be interesting to hear about other decent birds that have been seen inside the city limits.
I'll kick it off with,

1, first win Med Gull at Knighton Fields Park, early 91.
2, Quail heard from my flat on Aylestone Rd, 27th July 1994 at 02.00 hrs.
3, Another first win Med Gull on Victoria Park, 25th Feb 1996.

I'm sure that most of you (Leicester birders) will have seen birds like Hobby, Peregrine & buzzard but what else have you seen?

Cheers, Neil.

Prompted by Daves sighting of a Red Kite over Morrisons a few days ago I thought it might be interesting to hear about other decent birds that have been seen inside the city limits.
I'll kick it off with,

1, first win Med Gull at Knighton Fields Park, early 91.
2, Quail heard from my flat on Aylestone Rd, 27th July 1994 at 02.00 hrs.
3, Another first win Med Gull on Victoria Park, 25th Feb 1996.

I'm sure that most of you (Leicester birders) will have seen birds like Hobby, Peregrine & buzzard but what else have you seen?

Cheers, Neil.

Well Neil, were do I start? 3 Long-eared Owls at Aylestone Meadows in Dec'84, the White-winged Black Tern at Watermead CP South in July 1994, hundreds of Waxwings just down the road from my house on Hinckley Road and last year's Wood Warbler at Vicky Park!
Cheers,
Dave.:t:

Well Neil, were do I start? 3 Long-eared Owls at Aylestone Meadows in Dec'84, the White-winged Black Tern at Watermead CP South in July 1994, hundreds of Waxwings just down the road from my house on Hinckley Road and last year's Wood Warbler at Vicky Park!
Cheers,
Dave.:t:

Some nice birds there Dave. I forgot about that WWBT at Watermead CP that was a good bird. I didn't see the Long Eared Owls on the Meadows but did see the ones at Birstal in the early 90's but I think that's outside the city limits. Also forgot about Woodcock on the Meadows & Redstart in my mums garden.

Cheers, Neil.

Excellent passage of fieldfares this morning moving south over the city viewed from the mammoth viewpoint at Watermead CP South. I counted 2291 birds between 9.00and 11.45am. The other highlight of the vis-migging session was 120 Pink-footed Geese flying east over the city at around 10.30am.
The full account of the morning sightings are at:
http://www.trektellen.nl/trektelling.asp?telpost=810&land=5&site=0&datum=20101020&taal=2

Amazing passage Dave, thoroughly enjoyed with passage over the Aylestone Meadows too, best vis-migging for quite some time.

Myself, John Hague and Mark Skevington are doing a Leicester City Year list this year. As of today I have seen 71 species in the city boundaries. The highlights so far have included Peregrine,Woodcock,Pintail,"Rocky the Ruff" and numerous Waxwings on Hinckley Road.
Cheers,
Dave.
http://davidearlgray.blogspot.com/

A great birding day yesterday in the City boundaries! Female Ring Ouzel, Lesser Whitethroat, Red Kite and Garden Warbler at Aylestone Meadows in the morning. Then in the afternoon Bewick's Swan at Watermead CP South and two delightful Wood Sandpipers at Birstall Meadows!! It was just one of those days when spring migration is at it's best!
My City list now stands at 96 species.
Cheers,
Dave.
Ps Photos of the birds of the Wood Sands and Bewick's Swan will be on my blog in the next day or so!

Hi all, just a quick request has anybody seen Spotted Flycatcher and Tawny Owl in the city(New Walk area possible?).
I look forward to your replies,
Cheers,
Dave.

Quick update on the city list:
I found 6 Black-tailed Godwits at Birstall Meadows this evening. So this put me on 106 species for the city year list.
Cheers,
Dave.

Another update on my city year list:
I have added two species in the last few days in the form of Little Egret on the Birstall Meadows and finding a juvenile Black Tern at Watermead CP South yesterday afternoon.
My total is now 108 for the year!
Cheers,
Dave.

Update on the city list:
I saw a Dunlin yesterday at Watermead CP South. So my total is now 109 and one short of the target 110!
Cheers,
Dave.

I will give you a new target then Dave - 130 !! A more realistic challenge !!

Steve

Last edited:
I will give you a new target then Dave - 130 !! A more realistic challenge !!

Steve

Well Steve, I might be able to do 120 species!? I still haven't seen Spotted Flycatcher,Tawny Owl,Brambling and Yellow-legged Gull yet, which I believe I should get in the year.
Distinctive possibles include Whinchat,Redstart,Caspian Gull,Tree Pipit and some of the commoner waders?
Hopefully vis-migging from the mammoth may bring dividends!
Cheers,
Dave.

Well Steve, I might be able to do 120 species!? I still haven't seen Spotted Flycatcher,Tawny Owl,Brambling and Yellow-legged Gull yet, which I believe I should get in the year.
Distinctive possibles include Whinchat,Redstart,Caspian Gull,Tree Pipit and some of the commoner waders?
Hopefully vis-migging from the mammoth may bring dividends!
Cheers,
Dave.

Dave,

I reckon with a little luck & plenty of hours in the field 120 species is well within reach, good luck.

Spotted Flycatcher on the Great Central Way this morning Dave, just down (South) from the bridge that crosses over Middleton Street. Good area for airborne insects so it might hang around.

Update on the city list: I have increased the list by three since last week. So my city list now stands at 114. The three species I have seen included Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Western Park, 2 Ravens over WCPS and Birstall meadows and finally 3 Little Gulls( 1 adult and 2 first-winter birds) briefly at WCPS on Thursday.
As it looks like the vis-migging season has finally got under way, maybe a few more species will be added to the list before I go to Shetland in the first week of October?
Cheers,
Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back