• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 BN (1 Viewer)

Dennis, please don't try to convert this into another EII thread. I'm of the thinking that this is about more than the GREATEST VIEW, or THE BEST VIEW FOR THE BUCK, or PORRO PERFECTION, yada yada yada.

Look, we mostly all love the EIIs, OK? I do and recently bought a pair. Very nice alright and I concede, based strictly on the view, is generally better than my 8x32 Trins.

This is a thread about a superior birding binocular. Something greater than the sum of it's parts. Something that can't be reduced to a couple of catch phrases.

The Leicas have so many advantages that, to me, make them a superior birding tool. I started to list them but then thought "what's the point?" Not everyone places ultimate value on that last tiny bit of view, looking at stationary targets, in clean dry conditions, really... not everyone.

Even the Zen Ray 8x42 ED's are better than the Leica's.
I recently looked through a Hawkes 8x43, which is I think similar to the Zens. While optically they come close to the Trinovids (I still like the view of the Trino better, mainly because of excellent stray light control and good contrast), in no they match the built quality of a Leica!
Even used Trinovids still cost considerably more than Zen and alike... Rightly so, in my opinion.

2nd that except add the Nikon 8x30 EII to the mix. It is clearly better than the Leica 8x32 BN. You may prefer the EII to the SE because it has a wider FOV. The Leica 8x32 BN's are definitely not as good as the newer alpha binoculars especially the Zeiss 8x32 FL. Even the Zen Ray 8x42 ED's are better than the Leica's.

I think you are correct from a pure view standpoint, but even saying that, there is something about the Leica view, a color contrast thing that I really-really like. So though your latest alpha's may be better, slightly, the Trinnies are still very-very good. To me the thing about the 8x32 BNs is the complete package. I found the size, shape and feel of the little BN to be the ultimate refinement of binocular design. I just think it is perfect in a subjective way that others might not feel. In addition to feeling nice in the hand, they also feel bullet proof, which they seem to be by reputation.

Now I personally don't like the brick-like 42mm size Trinnies, but some people swear by them. I also put the 8x32 SE up there in ergonomics and view, but it isn't waterproof and doesn't exude that indestructable vibe the BN does.

John

So, if I was to move for the 8x32 Leica's are they likely to last me? i.e they are already old (but obviously still hold there own) so is there anything in the pipeline which is going to blow these out of the water soon?

I've had my 8x32s's for a decade and a half now (not to mention my 8x20's, 8x42's and 8x50's) and the incremental improvements over those years haven't been enough for me to get anything else (although I have been tempted many times). Unless Leica comes out with a pair of replacement eyeballs I'm seeing all that I will ever be able to see through binoculars. And mechanically (a subject that is too often left out of these discussions) the Trinovids have more than proven themselves, something that can't be said of most of the new "alpha" binoculars.

I am only familar with the 8x42 BA, which I used for a couple of years. The view, although dimmer than FL or porros, was surpassingly pleasant, and it made an excellent hammer. I am reminded of the scene from "Men in Black" when the agent entices the monster to swallow him, so he can retrieve his ray gun which it has already eaten, that would be how I felt about my Trinovid. If there had only been a better "total package" there, I could have enjoyed it forever. Unfortunately, it was heavy, and the focuser was work to control, always a little battle.

I can easily believe the 8x32, with its size, weight, and ergonomics, could be "forgiven" its '90s view. I have never heard of focus difficulties with the 8x32 either, perhaps simply because in the small binocular, there is less machinery, and less friction. Walk tall 8x32 Trinovid guys!
Ron

I've owned my 8x32 BAs since 1998 (the 15th of July 1998, to be precise! ;)) and I've yet to look through another pair of binoculars that provide a more satisfying view, in a more usable, robust, good-looking, compact all-round package, than the Leicas.

They still look brand new - and I haven't nurse-maided them...

Last edited:
I mentioned this before, but I think it bears repeating until some smart exec finally realizes it's a great idea and should be implemented at his optics company. :)

The bulk of people who adore the 8x32 SE and 8x32 Trinnie are no doubt "boomers".

As we've seen in the automotive field, automakers have either brought back Classics cars or went "retro" on the design of cars and trucks that were still being made.

These include Chevy Camaro, Dodge Charger and Challenger, Ford T-Bird and Mustang.

There are also new retro looking vehicles such the Chrysler P/T Cruiser and the Chevy HHR "panel wagons" and the Chevy SSR pick up. I'm sure there are others, but those immediately spring to mind.

So then why not an updated Leica 8x32 Trinnie? Leica still has Trinnie compacts selling along with its Ultravid compacts.

Seems pretty straightforward. They already have the bin designed. All they need to do is update the coatings and the glass (which might have already been updated with the BN, though the quality of new lead-free glass is probably better but also more expensive, I once read how much Schott optical glass costs, and it was ridiculously expensive).

So the niggler is that the new Trinnie would need to be priced significantly under the Ultravids so as not to undercut Ultravid sales, and that probably means being manufactured in Eastern Europe.

Hey, if Zeiss can do it, so could Leica. Although when I mentioned this previously, there was some blowback from Leica owners who shudder at the thought of Czech or Hungarian made Leicas.

I think there's a market for retro bins, both roofs and porros. Question is how much of a market? That's what marketing groups are for.

As my Uncle Tunuse used to say, "Why reinvent the wheel when you could merely add hubcaps?"

Brock "Bowzer", Sha Na Nah

Last edited:
One comfort pair is the answer

Both of my Trinovids are BA. I have owned 7-10 sets of various BA and BN versions and IMO I have seen more sample variation in the BN. Not a good thing. The set of 8x32BA and 10x42BA have been compared against a bunch and always are on top or close.

Nice observation about sample variation. Not seen that mentioned much. However, I've seen it in all makes and models of binoculars! Just try them at the Birdfair!! Bottom line is...find ONE comfort pair and relax, or you'll never be happy.;)

A lot of birders were put off by the rather long close focus distance of the original BA. The only difference with the BN was Leica shifted the focus closer, giving up a little past infinity focus. I don't know if Leica also made incremental coating improvements as BN production lasted a few years.

John

Thanks for putting me in the picture John. Seems we're both hooked on these wonderful binoculars!

...And the relevance of that cryptic observation is?

Well, how could you understand? Look at your avatar. You're just a kid! :)

Well, kid, here's how it goes, as you grow older, the things from the past begin seem better than the things of today. Most of this is "nostalgia neuralgia" but some of it is factual because the adage "they don't make 'em like they use to" applies for a variety of reasons.

Some day our kids will be asking, how come there are no good actors anymore like Denzel, Russell Crowe, Christian Bale, Johnny Depp, etc.?

My dad thinks they all pale in comparison with Jimmy Stewart, James Cagney, Boggie, EG Robinson (yeah), and the others from his Era.

As my Uncle Tunuse used to say (he's got a million of 'em): The grass always looks greener when you look over your shoulder.

Brock

Brock,

Please keep uncle Tunuse on this forum for a while. Seems like there's a lot of pale ontologic in the guy.

Renze

Renze,

I can do that one better by having him hang around for awhile in my new avatar. Ladies and gentleman, may I introduce you to my Uncle Tonoose!

There is a family resemblance, though I have a better hairline.

I'm afraid to report that my dear uncle went stark raving mad trying to reconcile eleatic monism with ontological pluralism, however, his unpublished work "The Collected Aphorisms of Uncle Tonoose" lives on in me.

Brock Lucretius Carus

I have owned a pair of 8x32 BAs since 1995. I have compared them to 8x32 HDs. The HDs are brighter and have slightly better contrast, but I did not consider the improvement to be sufficient to upgrade.
I have however brought a pair of 8.5x42 EL SVs, which are the best binoculars I have looked through. I am not bothered by the rolling globe effect which some have found bothersome.

Ben.

I recently looked through a Hawkes 8x43, which is I think similar to the Zens. While optically they come close to the Trinovids (I still like the view of the Trino better, mainly because of excellent stray light control and good contrast), in no they match the built quality of a Leica!
Even used Trinovids still cost considerably more than Zen and alike... Rightly so, in my opinion.

I think the Zen Ray 8x43 EDII is actually optically better than the Leica 8x32 BN but there is no doubt the ergonomics and build quality of the Leica is superior.

I've owned my 8x32 BAs since 1998 (the 15th of July 1998, to be precise! ;)) and I've yet to look through another pair of binoculars that provide a more satisfying view, in a more usable, robust, good-looking, compact all-round package, than the Leicas.

They still look brand new - and I haven't nurse-maided them...

Keith. Have you tried the latest alphas? Especially the Zeiss FL or Swarovski SV. I had Leica BN's myself for along time but there really is alot of stuff better out there now. I sold mine after I found out even the Zen Ray 8x43 ED was better optically. Try some of the newer alphas and you might be surprised.

Dennis, please don't try to convert this into another EII thread. I'm of the thinking that this is about more than the GREATEST VIEW, or THE BEST VIEW FOR THE BUCK, or PORRO PERFECTION, yada yada yada.

Look, we mostly all love the EIIs, OK? I do and recently bought a pair. Very nice alright and I concede, based strictly on the view, is generally better than my 8x32 Trins.

This is a thread about a superior birding binocular. Something greater than the sum of it's parts. Something that can't be reduced to a couple of catch phrases.

The Leicas have so many advantages that, to me, make them a superior birding tool. I started to list them but then thought "what's the point?" Not everyone places ultimate value on that last tiny bit of view, looking at stationary targets, in clean dry conditions, really... not everyone.

I am not trying to convert this to an EII thread. I just pointed out that although I feel Leica 8x32 BN's are fine binoculars and I had them for years once I started comparing them with the newer stuff I realized they were second tier binoculars. There are alot of better birding binoculars out there now. I couldn't believe how much better even a low cost binocular like the Zen Ray 8x43HD are than the BN's. It is EASY to see they are optically superior. If you love your BN's that's fine and you think they are as good as a Zeiss FL cool. I am glad you are happy.

Just this morning (15 minutes before official sunrise) I again compared my 8x32 Trinovids to a set of 8x42 Zeiss FL.
The biggest advantage I find is the view is easier because of the larger exit pupil. A tad brighter but "to me" negligible. A 8x32 is a dandy size.
I'll repeat the biggest thing I find an advantage is the large exit pupil makes it easier to use. My guess is my pupil (being larger in dim light) aligns easier with the 5mm exit pupil of a 8x42.
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back