Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Leica 8x32 BN

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 17th September 2010, 07:30   #51
nature elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhitehead2011 View Post
Last one from me...don't want to become obsessive! Seems to me that there must be something very special and timeless about these bins? Many pairs = empty wallet and restless mind! My life pair...the ultimate Birding Binoculars.
How come the BN's were around 600 -700 new and they are about that used?
Old Friday 17th September 2010, 11:04   #52
ingle1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature elvis View Post
A classic binocular, one of Leicas best ever.
They do seem to command a good second hand price, of course condition is always a factor, get them before someone else does...

'You have rightly chosen,' said God, 'for in my garden of Paradise this little bird shall sing for evermore, and in my city of gold the Happy Prince shall praise me'.
Old Friday 17th September 2010, 19:29   #53
awhitehead2011

Quote:
Simply because they are in high demand. If you really want them you'll pay what's necessary to get them...if you can still find a pair? Found a mint pair last week at Kay Optical. Game over.
www.duffbirder.blogspot.com

Last edited by awhitehead2011 : Friday 17th September 2010 at 19:41.
Old Saturday 18th September 2010, 05:21   #54
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Simply because they are in high demand. If you really want them you'll pay what's necessary to get them...if you can still find a pair? Found a mint pair last week at Kay Optical. Game over.
I like the Leica 8x32 BN's build quality and their size but for me optics are everything. When I compared them to the Zen Ray 8x43 ED's I sold them. When a $375.00 Chinese binocular dusts them optically they are gone. Sorry, to all you BN lovers. Don't compare them to a Zen Ray and you will stay happy!
Old Saturday 18th September 2010, 10:53   #55
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...

Dennis, I really don't understand why you're on this mission to convince us that you've convinced yourself that the Leicas aren't good enough for you.

Even after all these years, the view through my BAs still make me smile when I use them, and they still generate "Wow!"s from people who look through them, so they're clearly doing something right.

Oh - and new 8 x 43 against older 8 x 32? Hardly a like-for-like comparison, is it?

Canon 7D, Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS, TCs.
www.capture-the-moment.co.uk

Last edited by Keith Reeder : Saturday 18th September 2010 at 12:42.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 18th September 2010, 15:54   #56
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Reeder View Post
Dennis, I really don't understand why you're on this mission to convince us that you've convinced yourself that the Leicas aren't good enough for you.

Even after all these years, the view through my BAs still make me smile when I use them, and they still generate "Wow!"s from people who look through them, so they're clearly doing something right.

Oh - and new 8 x 43 against older 8 x 32? Hardly a like-for-like comparison, is it?
Keith
I am trying to enlighten you. I know Leica 8x32 BN's are good old classics and they are built like a tank BUT there are better optics out there now. If they work for you I am glad your happy but there not the best view anymore. I will admit they are a good all around binocular and amazingly tough and maybe that is more important to you than optics. Heh, some people like old classics. Look at all the car collectors around.
Old Saturday 18th September 2010, 20:48   #57
awhitehead2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Keith
I am trying to enlighten you. I know Leica 8x32 BN's are good old classics and they are built like a tank BUT there are better optics out there now. If they work for you I am glad your happy but there not the best view anymore. I will admit they are a good all around binocular and amazingly tough and maybe that is more important to you than optics. Heh, some people like old classics. Look at all the car collectors around.
We don't need enlightening my friend (slightly patronizing?). I'm afraid you'll never get it. You say better optics? Leica 8x32BN/A fans see the overall picture...the NATURAL VIEW...as nature should be! I see sharper and brighter images but not a better, more life like view. IMHO
Many pairs = Restless mind

Last edited by awhitehead2011 : Saturday 18th September 2010 at 21:00.
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 03:41   #58
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
We don't need enlightening my friend (slightly patronizing?). I'm afraid you'll never get it. You say better optics? Leica 8x32BN/A fans see the overall picture...the NATURAL VIEW...as nature should be! I see sharper and brighter images but not a better, more life like view. IMHO
Many pairs = Restless mind
"I see sharper and brighter images but not a better, more life like view." Interesting that you think a less sharp and less bright image depicts a more lifelike view. It is interesting to me that BN's are still so popular after all these years and how vehemently their owners defend them. I really don't understand their popularity based on their optics. It must be their build quality and ergonomics and small compact size that make people like them. Glad you like them.

Last edited by [email protected] : Sunday 19th September 2010 at 04:54.
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 04:51   #59
jjg213

Hi Denco, I am wondering whether the trinovids you looked through were smeared with vaseline? How else could they be described as "blurry" unless you forgot to focus them.. I admit that my 8x32BA's and 10x42BA's are not quite as bright as my Ultravid HD's, however I think you should have another look at BA's or BN's. If they were as bad as you suggest, I am sure I never would have been happy with them, even when I got them in the early 90"s.
John

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 05:01   #60
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg213 View Post
Hi Denco, I am wondering whether the trinovids you looked through were smeared with vaseline? How else could they be described as "blurry" unless you forgot to focus them.. I admit that my 8x32BA's and 10x42BA's are not quite as bright as my Ultravid HD's, however I think you should have another look at BA's or BN's. If they were as bad as you suggest, I am sure I never would have been happy with them, even when I got them in the early 90"s.
John
I had a Leica 8x32 BN and a Leica 7x42 BN and a Nikon 8x32 LXL and then one sunny day I compared them all to a new Zen Ray 8x42 ED that I had just purchased. To be frank the Zen Ray put them all to shame. I couldn't believe how much better optically the Zen Ray was in most areas. You can have your "natural view". I sold the Leicas and the Nikon LXL the next day. I have since acquired a Zeiss 8x32 FL and I prefer it to the Zen Ray ED but that is my story with the BN's. They are history for me but you must remember for me the OPTICS are priority number one. You may be different.
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 06:08   #61
jjg213

Hi Dennis, I was interested to see that after my post you edited out "blurry and dim image"! "Blurry" really was an unsupportable statement. It was a significant exaggeration! If trinovid 8x32BA's or BN's were in good condition and focussed correctly, and were indeed still blurry, then a lot of trinovid 8x32 supporters would have recognised that and got rid of them for almost any other binocular.
John

Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 07:29   #62
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg213 View Post
Hi Dennis, I was interested to see that after my post you edited out "blurry and dim image"! "Blurry" really was an unsupportable statement. It was a significant exaggeration! If trinovid 8x32BA's or BN's were in good condition and focussed correctly, and were indeed still blurry, then a lot of trinovid 8x32 supporters would have recognised that and got rid of them for almost any other binocular.
John
I used the wrong words to make my statement. I didn't really mean they were blurry and had a dim image I meant they were slightly less sharp and slightly less bright than some other newer alpha binoculars. The BN's are not dim and blurry.
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 07:30   #63
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Dennis has a history of trying to save us from ourselves. He's quite the evangelist.

You see, it just public service that motivates him. Most (all?) of us don't have the depth of understanding of all things binocular that he does and he's just trying to save us the agony of relegating ourselves to birding with bins like the lowly Trinovid.

We're just ignorant you see, and his humanity compels him to be argumentative and insensitive to what WE are saying whilst driving home the point that whatever HE dubs (currently) to be the one and only true birding bin. All for our own good, of course.

No no, it's not condescension friends... he's just seen the light!

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 16:29   #64
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
Dennis has a history of trying to save us from ourselves. He's quite the evangelist.

You see, it just public service that motivates him. Most (all?) of us don't have the depth of understanding of all things binocular that he does and he's just trying to save us the agony of relegating ourselves to birding with bins like the lowly Trinovid.

We're just ignorant you see, and his humanity compels him to be argumentative and insensitive to what WE are saying whilst driving home the point that whatever HE dubs (currently) to be the one and only true birding bin. All for our own good, of course.

No no, it's not condescension friends... he's just seen the light!
Sorry Kevin I just feel there are better binoculars out there now than the Leica Trinovid BN and some for less money. I think some people become too loyal to one brand and are unwilling to try something else. I think it is like brand loyality in automobiles. When people go on and on about how the BN is the best all around binocular they have ever had I am going to argue with them because I disagree. They can have whatever they want but I am going to disagree with them! It makes it more interesting doesn't.
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 16:33   #65
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
Well, the 8x32 BN is a nice pair. Good optics and built like a tank. But it's optically not quite as good as some of the current crop of alpha roofs, for instance the Zeiss 8x32 FL. I personally wouldn't pay 600 quid for a used 8x32 BN, not even for one in perfect condition, I'd rather save up for a Zeiss FL if it's got to be a roof.

Or, if you happen to be a fine weather birder, I'd get the Nikon 8x32 SE. It's optically clearly better than the Leica, but of course it's not waterproof. Another pair in the price range you mentioned is the traditional Swarovski 8x30 porro. The Swarovski porros are waterproof and optically very good indeed.

Hermann
Right on Hermann! Exactly how I feel.
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 17:30   #66
ingle1970

The Leica 8x32 BN is in a special club with other truly great binoculars, such as the Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt and the Nikon 8x30 EII etc, they just have that X factor which is hard to quantify.

I wonder if Zen Ray will ever be held in so high a regard

'You have rightly chosen,' said God, 'for in my garden of Paradise this little bird shall sing for evermore, and in my city of gold the Happy Prince shall praise me'.
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 17:35   #67
spyglass
Djoo c it? Wut wuzit?

The one thing we can take from this (and similar threads) is that opinions (even those stated as facts) are like sphincters.....everybody has one (save those who've had "that" operation.....). It's one of the things that makes forums like this one....interesting, and what makes us check it most days, just to see.....n' cest pas?
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 17:38   #68
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...

The proof of the pudding for me is simple: after all this time with my Leicas I never, ever find myself musing "I wonder if there's anything better out there..?"

Frankly then, it just doesn't matter that there may - or may not - be technically superior bins out there. My satisfaction with my Leicas is complete.

When I lend the Leicas to other folk (often either non-birders who don't know one pair of bins from another, or birders with bins at various positions in the market) the response I hear all the time is along the lines of "Wow! It's just like your own eyes, only bigger!"

What could be better than that? The perfect view as far as I'm concerned.

I also know that always chasing the next best thing is not a route to happiness, and there's evidence of that on this thread - I'm glad I'm not as obsessively driven by evident dissatisfaction as some of the contributors here.

Last edited by Keith Reeder : Sunday 19th September 2010 at 17:42.

Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 18:09   #69
awhitehead2011

Quote:
The proof of the pudding for me is simple: after all this time with my Leicas I never, ever find myself musing "I wonder if there's anything better out there..?"

Frankly then, it just doesn't matter that there may - or may not - be technically superior bins out there. My satisfaction with my Leicas is complete.

When I lend the Leicas to other folk (often either non-birders who don't know one pair of bins from another, or birders with bins at various positions in the market) the response I hear all the time is along the lines of "Wow! It's just like your own eyes, only bigger!"

What could be better than that? The perfect view as far as I'm concerned.

I also know that always chasing the next best thing is not a route to happiness, and there's evidence of that on this thread - I'm glad I'm not as obsessively driven by evident dissatisfaction as some of the contributors here.
Couldn't have put it better myself Keith! We can drift off into birding heaven completely 100% CONTENT.

Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 18:27   #70
jjg213

Thank you Kevin and Keith, I enjoyed your posts, you have put things into perspective for me!!!
Regards, John

Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 18:45   #71
awhitehead2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
"I see sharper and brighter images but not a better, more life like view." Interesting that you think a less sharp and less bright image depicts a more lifelike view. It is interesting to me that BN's are still so popular after all these years and how vehemently their owners defend them. I really don't understand their popularity based on their optics. It must be their build quality and ergonomics and small compact size that make people like them. Glad you like them.
Let me explain my view for the last time. I have tried all of the so called alpha models and they are obviously a (slight) improvement optically (as in brightness/sharpness etc) or no-one would buy them!!! However, the lifelike view I am referring to with the BN's, so eloquently explained by Keith, also includes the X-factors of 3D image, realistic, natural colour and superb contrast/resolution etc that culminates in a unique all-round unit. My opinion has NOTHING to do with nostalga as I demand the best view I can get...and I have found it. The view is easy. If you have found yours brilliant...let's celebrate!

Many pairs = restless mind

Last edited by awhitehead2011 : Sunday 19th September 2010 at 18:54.
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 18:49   #72
Hermann

Quote:

Well, the original question in this thread (before it got derailed somewhat) was a bit different:

Quote:
I've seen an old pair of Leica 8x32 BN Trinovids. I've heard these were/are the bees knees when it comes to Birding bins and still command quite a high price on the second hand market. Basically the question is, is 599 a good price for these and are they still worth it?
I still believe that if you want to spend that kind of money it may well be worth looking at some of the alternatives, like the Zeiss 8x32 FL or the Nikon 8x32 SE. Both the Zeiss and the Nikon are *optically* better than the Leica 8x32 BN. Not by a huge margin, but they're better.

If you already have the Leica, however, things are totally different. In that case it's a question of whether the slightly better optics warrant spending a lot of money on a new pair. But that wasn't the question of the original poster.

BTW, I'm sticking to my combination of a Leica 8x32 BA and a Zeiss Victory II 10x40 which I both got when they were new on the market. I personally don't think the improvements in optics are such that I'm prepared to spend a lot of money on getting one of the latest alphas. I did get a Nikon 10x42 SE however, simply because I generally prefer porros over roofs. And I got it for a very good price.

Hermann
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 18:58   #73
awhitehead2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
Well, the original question in this thread (before it got derailed somewhat) was a bit different:

I still believe that if you want to spend that kind of money it may well be worth looking at some of the alternatives, like the Zeiss 8x32 FL or the Nikon 8x32 SE. Both the Zeiss and the Nikon are *optically* better than the Leica 8x32 BN. Not by a huge margin, but they're better.

If you already have the Leica, however, things are totally different. In that case it's a question of whether the slightly better optics warrant spending a lot of money on a new pair. But that wasn't the question of the original poster.

BTW, I'm sticking to my combination of a Leica 8x32 BA and a Zeiss Victory II 10x40 which I both got when they were new on the market. I personally don't think the improvements in optics are such that I'm prepared to spend a lot of money on getting one of the latest alphas. I did get a Nikon 10x42 SE however, simply because I generally prefer porros over roofs. And I got it for a very good price.

Hermann
Don't get this obsession with multiple pairs...confusion reigns surely?

Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 18:59   #74
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...

I really don't agree, Hermann - what you've quoted from me goes precisely to the original question. Elvis' question is "are they still worth it?" and I'm clearly saying "yes, they are".

I couldn't be more "on point".

Besides, as you say, the thread has been all over the place - why focus on my comment?

I think that what we've got here is a gaggle of "serial binocular fetishists" trying to persuade simple birding binocular users like me and AWhitehead (and I think, Elvis) that their way is best, whatever that might be. All Elvis seems to want to know is if the Leicas he's asking about are good bins that he'd enjoy owning - and the answer to that question is an unequivocal "yes".

Last edited by Keith Reeder : Sunday 19th September 2010 at 19:06.

Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 19:54   #75
Hermann

Quote:
I think that what we've got here is a gaggle of "serial binocular fetishists" trying to persuade simple birding binocular users like me and AWhitehead (and I think, Elvis) that their way is best, whatever that might be. All Elvis seems to want to know is if the Leicas he's asking about are good bins that he'd enjoy owning - and the answer to that question is an unequivocal "yes".
I'm not trying to persuade anyone that my way is best. I only happen to believe that 599 is a bit much for a used Leica 8x32 BN and that it might be an idea to have a look at some of the alternatives I mentioned. You've got a different opinion. Fine. So we'll have to agree to disagree on this ... :-)

Hermann
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: