Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Do you ignore Leica ?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 29th October 2015, 01:59   #226
Rathaus
Registered Member

A nice big relaxing view

I have no particular brand bias (I do have a few old Leitz which I love) but I do really enjoy getting out the last of the Zeiss 7x42 bgatp Dialyt. Just sooo easy and relaxing on the eye and a rich enjoyable view.

It has me wondering about the 7x42 Ultravids, obviously without leaded glass. I note that their apfov is a few deg less than the zeiss, so it loses out here slightly.

I don't use this specification of glass for technical viewing, but for the relaxing and immersing joy of it all. How does the latest Leica 7x42 compare to that Classic zeiss in this regard?

Ps. Like I said, I'm referring to a big satisfying and enjoyable easy relaxing view...not splitting double stars at the edge etc or reading resolution charts.

Cheers
Rathaus

Last edited by Rathaus : Thursday 29th October 2015 at 03:19.
Old Thursday 29th October 2015, 14:15   #227
John Frink

Leica 7x42HD+ vs. Zeiss 7x42B/GAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathaus View Post
How does the latest Leica 7x42 compare to that Classic zeiss in this regard?
A late-model Zeiss 7x42B/GAT had been my favorite do-everything glass for quite a while. Very recently I spent some quality time comparing it to a 7x42HD+ and I discovered the Leica could pull more detail out of the shadows, even against the light. The view through the Leica, though it felt different from the Zeiss, was still quite easy and relaxed. I kept the Zeiss because it's an old friend, but I bought the Leica on the spot. I had a non-HD Ultravid 7x42 and liked it a lot, but it couldn't beat the Zeiss; but the HD+ did the trick. Really a superb 7x42, in my opinion.
Old Thursday 29th October 2015, 18:28   #228
Torview

I`v just asked SWoptics to supply me a pair (7x42 HD+), I was so close to buying a pair earlier this year when I chickened out and plumped for the 8x32 SV thinking it would be a more rounded choice. However the poor handling of stray light and veiling glare have chipped away at my admiration of the Swaro.
Old Tuesday 3rd November 2015, 14:11   #229
Tobias Mennle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torview View Post
I`v just asked SWoptics to supply me a pair (7x42 HD+), I was so close to buying a pair earlier this year when I chickened out and plumped for the 8x32 SV thinking it would be a more rounded choice. However the poor handling of stray light and veiling glare have chipped away at my admiration of the Swaro.
... then let´s hope your admiration for the Ultravid Plus will not vanish once you see flare suppression in the Nikon EDG - at least the 8x42 EDG is phenomenal and beats all competitors by a safe margin in that respect.
Old Tuesday 3rd November 2015, 15:15   #230
Torview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Mennle View Post
... then let´s hope your admiration for the Ultravid Plus will not vanish once you see flare suppression in the Nikon EDG - at least the 8x42 EDG is phenomenal and beats all competitors by a safe margin in that respect.
I know the 8x42EDG, a wonderful instrument, but I`v never been able to try the 7x42, I know some fans on here have declared it possibly the finest 7x42 made, but that was before the UV was updated to plus spec.
Old Friday 6th November 2015, 04:25   #231
Rathaus
Registered Member

Yes, I always ignored Leica...until I discovered Leitz
Old Friday 6th November 2015, 11:20   #232
mfunnell
Registered Confuser

I love Leica. I've spent enough money on their cameras and lenses to prove it, too. So much that I can't afford their binoculars. My maximum (with one proviso I'm still working on) cuts in way before their minimum in terms of binoculars. Lenses, too, really - though I've been able to track down some bargains. I've even been able to be clever about Leica film cameras. But there's that one digital camera...

...Mike

Some photos of my local birds on flickr.
Old Sunday 8th November 2015, 02:51   #233
CloseFocus

My 10x32 Ultravid with the leather strap that came with my Silverline, and soft leather case that came with my old 8x32 Trinovid, is the perfect travel binocular. I don't think it's possible to pack more optical performance into that small a package, unless Leica comes out with a leather version of the 32 HD. If I could only have one binocular, that would be the one I would choose. BTW, the leather case has formed into a glove for the binocular, even contouring itself to the focus knob. Not bad for a leather case that's almost 20 years old.
Old Sunday 8th November 2015, 05:19   #234
ceasar

That soft leather case came with my 7x42 Trinovid BN. I've kept it in good shape with regular applications of a good leather paste. The case is a bit too large for my 8x42 Ultravid Blackline.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 8th November 2015, 22:35   #235
CloseFocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
That soft leather case came with my 7x42 Trinovid BN. I've kept it in good shape with regular applications of a good leather paste. The case is a bit too large for my 8x42 Ultravid Blackline.

Bob
That's good to know. Now I don't feel so bad about including the soft leather case that came with my 8x42 Trinovid when I sold it.
Old Sunday 15th November 2015, 17:53   #236
Tobias Mennle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torview View Post
I know the 8x42EDG, a wonderful instrument, but I`v never been able to try the 7x42, I know some fans on here have declared it possibly the finest 7x42 made, but that was before the UV was updated to plus spec.
yeah, you´re right, I have only compared the 8x42 models, but the Ultravid is the finest for my taste, too. If Nikon only showed some ambition to upgrade their line, both the EDG and E2 sadly and clearly lack the beautiful sparkle of their high transmission competitors (Ultravid, HT, Habicht). It´s really bad because the EDG is such a flawless design otherwise, outperforming the others in most aspects.
Old Sunday 15th November 2015, 17:57   #237
Tobias Mennle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfunnell View Post
I love Leica. I've spent enough money on their cameras and lenses to prove it, too. So much that I can't afford their binoculars. My maximum (with one proviso I'm still working on) cuts in way before their minimum in terms of binoculars. Lenses, too, really - though I've been able to track down some bargains. I've even been able to be clever about Leica film cameras. But there's that one digital camera...

...Mike
Mike, why not put your Leica lenses on a Sony (until Canon delivers in mirrorless) and invest the difference into an Ultravid
Old Sunday 15th November 2015, 20:00   #238
ceasar

Quote:
yeah, you´re right, I have only compared the 8x42 models, but the Ultravid is the finest for my taste, too. If Nikon only showed some ambition to upgrade their line, both the EDG and E2 sadly and clearly lack the beautiful sparkle of their high transmission competitors (Ultravid, HT, Habicht). It´s really bad because the EDG is such a flawless design otherwise, outperforming the others in most aspects.

Nikon has always made their binoculars to have their highest transmission in the Red end of the spectrum. I rather like them that way.

Bob

Old Sunday 15th November 2015, 20:05   #239
mfunnell
Registered Confuser

Quote:
Mike, why not put your Leica lenses on a Sony (until Canon delivers in mirrorless) and invest the difference into an Ultravid
Because it would be sacrilege! Well, not really: I'm happy enough using them on a Konica Hexar RF. It's more that (a) I often prefer rangefinders for some types of photography; (b) I really can't get on with electronic viewfinders; and (c) I really, really, like my M type 240

...Mike

Some photos of my local birds on flickr.
Old Sunday 29th November 2015, 16:58   #240
Tobias Mennle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oetzi View Post
Leica first and foremost earns their money by selling very succeful last decades digital cameras for ridiculos money.

Whether or not binoculars amount for anything at Leica, I dont know. But which of the other great Alpha makers would ignore the Perger prisma the way Leica does?
The last time I googled Leica was third behind Swaro and Zeiss in the premium sports optics segment, and no matter what the exact number, it is still a lot of money that amounts to something.

The Perger prism will deviate from Leica´s philosophy to build compact premium binoculars. Sure, I would love to have the option of a perger, too, but then, the latest Ultravid is so good and so bright, so what will be the improvement... More 3D, but that needs wider spaced objectives, so less compact designs, who will care about it apart from you, me, Holger and a couple of other guys...

The closer I look, the more the 8x42 Ultravid impresses me. Also, it must be great for a company to not have to spend large sums on marketing - obviously the brand is still so strong they can save a part of the money.

One of the Leica guys once told me that "wide fields of view are off our priority list since the Amplivid". I was shocked to hear this, but the more I use binoculars, the more I see their point. Both the Nikon E2 and the SF are not exactly what I want in viewing comfort...
Old Sunday 29th November 2015, 20:36   #241
Torview

Quote:

The closer I look, the more the 8x42 Ultravid impresses me.
Tobias, I feel the same way, although mine is a 7x42+, have you tried the 7xHD+ ?, I`d be interested to read what you think.

I like the 8x42 but for me personally the 7x42HD+ is magical, something very special is happening with this model, the fov is nice, the dof is really top notch, and all with that sparkling clarity the HT glass has given the Ultravid.

John.
Old Friday 4th December 2015, 21:08   #242
pimpelmees

i have been told that the leica after service is improved these days and very good .
Old Sunday 6th December 2015, 18:21   #243
AGPank

My first exposure to Leica was as a young teenager. A rancher/ guide I knew would loan me his 8x32 when I helped during hunting season. I was amazed something so small could outperform everything I had ever seen. I never thought I could afford them.

Fast forward 20+ years and I decided to step into the quality optic market. When I first started shopping I decided to buy used to look for a better deal. I stayed away from
Leica for a couple of reasons, mainly new or used cost, and the lack of transferable warranty. In the last 3-4 years I had vortex viper, viper HD, SLC neu, Meostar HD, SLC HD, and razor HD.

My keepers were the SLC HD and Meostar HD.

Last week I bought the Trinovid 10x42 while on clearance + another 10% sale. Price was a deciding factor for me to buy a binocular I always wanted. Now they have revamped the line to the $1000 market.
Old Sunday 6th December 2015, 19:04   #244
pimpelmees

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGPank View Post
Leica for a couple of reasons, and the lack of transferable warranty.
hello, how can leica ever know that you are the second owner ?? On the warranty is no name form the first buyer ?
Old Monday 7th December 2015, 04:02   #245
perseid28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpelmees View Post
hello, how can leica ever know that you are the second owner ?? On the warranty is no name form the first buyer ?
The only way I can think of is requiring binocular registration with the manufacturer within a certain time of the purchase date. I've never owned Leica binoculars so I don't know if this is how they do it.
Old Monday 7th December 2015, 14:50   #246
ceasar

Leica keeps records of the binoculars registered with them. They still have the record of my old Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA (green armored, which I purchased in the early 1990s) along with the records of other Leicas that I registered with them at later dates.

Bob

Old Tuesday 8th December 2015, 11:49   #247
AGPank

My new warranty form has my name and binoculars serial number. Pretty simple database. I see their website is getting built for a members area to enter this information.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: