Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Please compare the 2012-2015 Trinovid to the new Trinovid HD

Old Tuesday 3rd January 2017, 02:09   #76
ceasar

Kees,

I have a Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN. It is built like a brick with Aluminum body construction and it weighs much more than the Ultravids which replaced it with lighter magnesium bodies and titanium focusing rods. The coatings also are much more modern on the Ultravids. My 8x42 Ultravid BL is brighter than my 7x42 Trinovid.

I don't know where the new Trinovid HD is made, but according to Leica it has magnesium body construction like the Ultravid has. I think that the major cost savings came in removing the diopter from the focus wheel and placing it on the right eyepiece.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 3rd January 2017, 09:09   #77
Kees Boer

Bob,

The Trinovid BN was made until 2007. At the same time Leica introduced the Ultravid HD. In 2012 the new Trinovid appeared. Another binocular than the Trinovid BN. The Trinovid 2012-2015 weights much less than the Triovid BN, because it has a magnesium body. Also the Trinovid 2012-2015 has modern coatings and a better transmission.

The Trinovid HD has a yellowish/green tone and is less bright than the Trinovid 2012-2015.

According to insiders It is made in Japan. Just like the Zeiss Conquest HD. In Japan the Trinovid HD is disassembled in some parts and is transported to Germany or Portugal. There the Trinovid HD is reassembled and than it may have the trademark "made in Germany or made in Portugal".
Old Saturday 7th January 2017, 04:19   #78
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees Boer View Post
Bob,

The Trinovid BN was made until 2007. At the same time Leica introduced the Ultravid HD. In 2012 the new Trinovid appeared. Another binocular than the Trinovid BN. The Trinovid 2012-2015 weights much less than the Triovid BN, because it has a magnesium body. Also the Trinovid 2012-2015 has modern coatings and a better transmission.

The Trinovid HD has a yellowish/green tone and is less bright than the Trinovid 2012-2015.

According to insiders It is made in Japan. Just like the Zeiss Conquest HD. In Japan the Trinovid HD is disassembled in some parts and is transported to Germany or Portugal. There the Trinovid HD is reassembled and than it may have the trademark "made in Germany or made in Portugal".
Kees:

I am wondering about your experience and knowledge about what you
are posting about the Trinovids, both newer and HD.

Have you had first hand experience with these models, and how long
was your examination?

I am thinking the issue is that they are just different, but very similar in transmission and many other ways.

That may mean good things, the newer Trinovid has some CA, and I assume the HD lenses, of the newer model makes an improvement.

Jerry
Old Saturday 7th January 2017, 09:37   #79
Kees Boer

Jerry,

I have had the Trinovid 2012-2015 and the Trinovid HD two weeks to compare. The two binoculars have been
thoroughly tested during day time (cloudy and sunny) and night time (moon, planets, stars, etc.). Just to be clear, I have tested many other binoculars, like the Swarovski 10 x 50 EL, Meopta 10 x 50, Leica HD 10 x 50, etc. See this link to one of my reviews (it's only in Dutch):

http://www.houseofoutdoor.com/testra...0-x-56-def.pdf

After two weeks I had to send back one of the two Trinovid's and that was the HD version. The Trinovid HD has "HD lenses", but my experience is that the light transmission of the Trinovid 2012-2015 is better. Also the the Trinovid HD has a distinctly yellowish/green tone.

I have compared both Trinovids with my Swarovski CL 8 x 30, which has a very neutral and almost perfect colour reproduction. The difference between the Swarovski and Trinovid 2012-2015 was very small. The Trinovid has a bit warmer tone. On the other side is the difference in colour tone between the Swarovski and the Trinovid HD much bigger. In disadvantage of the Trinovid HD. And the rubber armour of the Trinovid HD is at more places slightly loose.
Old Saturday 7th January 2017, 13:32   #80
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Thanks for the comparison Kees. I've been reading reviews of the Trin HD online for the 10x, but I haven't seen any mention a color cast yet. I think it's hard to see color cast on its own. But, if the bin is compared to a neutral bin as you did here then it could be detected. Before I sold the Cabela's Meopta HD 8x32 I was comparing to my Ultravid HD+ 7x42 and I was able to detect a very slight yellow cast in the Meopta which I hadn't seen before until I compared it to another bino. It was really a cream color and wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me. I sold it for the small ER, as I wasn't seeing the full fov.

I used to own the Trinovid 8x42 previous version (same one you have now) and thought it was nice with typical Leica view. The only issue was strong CA off axis. Ca was controlled well in the center, but at times CA was real bad just outside and towards the edges. It's a heavy binocular too.

The 7x42 UVid+ has drastically reduced CA in comparison. I think that's in part to new Schott HT glass perhaps, but maybe more the reduced magnification.
I also find the UVid+ to be closer to neutral colors (less warm) than the old Trinovid , but still Leica type view with nice colors and great contrast and of course it's nice and bright as well.

Last edited by Gilmore Girl : Saturday 7th January 2017 at 13:36.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 7th January 2017, 15:10   #81
Kees Boer

Yes, I have read your excellent review of the Trinovid 2012-2015 on the Birdforum (started at 24-12-2013). I agree with you that the Trinovid has rather a lot CA off axis. But it doesn't bother me too much, because I love/like the rest of the view and ergonomics. The Swarovski CL companion has a very low CA off axis.

The Trinovid HD gave me a cheap impression, optical and mechanical. There are several Japanese and Chinese binoculars, which are cheaper, with the same performance. But that's my personal opinion.

The Trinovid 2012-2015 is build like a tank and has an excellent optical performance. "It's a real Leica".
Old Saturday 7th January 2017, 15:35   #82
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Kees,

Thanks about my old review.

That's disappointing about the new Trin HD. I am looking for a 10x42 to supplement my primary 7x42 and I considered the new Trinovid HD, but ER is probably too short for me anyway. I came close to buying the previous Trinovid 10x42 from Europtic recently, but I backed out of it. One reason is a concern the extra mag. would make the CA possibly more noticeable. I think the 8x42 is a fine binocular and the CA on the periphery didn't bother me much either. I really liked the focus action which was very smooth and the "tread" or texture of the wheels and I think I prefer this over the Ultravid's focus wheels.

I have my eyes on the new Nikon HG 10x42 and hoping this one works out for me. I suspect it will.

Old Saturday 7th January 2017, 16:20   #83
Kees Boer

I live on the most Northern island of the Netherlands (Holland). It's called Schiermonnikoog and has about 920 inhabitants. But of course a lot of space, beaches and nice views.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiermonnikoog

That's why I have some "good" binoculars like Swarovski, Leica and Swify. But in total I own about 70 binoculars: for example Carl Zeis Jena's (6), Russian Tento's (10), old Meopta's (3), old Eschenbachs (2) etc.

It's an ideal environment tu use, have and test binoculars.

CA is very different in binoculars. For example I have a Carl Zeis Jena Octarem 8 x 50 (1988) which has nearly no CA off axis. The control of CA in the Octarem is even better than in the Swarovski 10 x 50 EL and Leiva Ultravid 10 x 50 HD, which I tested 4 years ago. But also better than in the Swarovski CL Companion 8 x 30, I own.

But, the search for the ideal binocular will never end. And I don't care. Enjoy Your weekend
Old Saturday 7th January 2017, 17:03   #84
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Kees,

Where you live is gorgeous !
It's crowded where I live and I don't like it much at all.

I have a Jenoptem 8x30 (from 1986). Great ergonomics and still a good view. I don't use it for bird watching ever since I began wearing eyeglasses, but I keep it as a collectible.

I used to own the Swaro CL 8x30 and I'm one of the few people in this forum who liked it.
As you mentioned, no CA issues to speak of. I found it very bright for 30mm and I loved the size and fit/feel of it.
People complain it's a bit overpriced and not sharp enough and they have some valid points there. It could be sharper, but I found it acceptable in general.

Since I started wearing eyeglasses a few years ago I swapped out binoculars for ones that I felt are better for me with glasses/specs.

Old Saturday 7th January 2017, 17:26   #85
Kees Boer

Yes, indeed it's a vey fine place to live. We never close our doors, because there has never been a burglary or housebreaking. The postman delivers his package on the kitchen table. I love it. Even with all my, some expensive, binoculars in my house, the door is always open.

I have a Jenoptem 8 x 30 and a multicoated Deltrintem 8 x 30. Also two Jenoptems 10 x 50. And I use them a lot. I hope You will find a 10 x 42 binocular that suits all your wishes.

But, I said it before, in this hobby we always keep searching. And back to topic, I always keep my Leica Trinovid 2012-2015.

Last edited by Kees Boer : Saturday 7th January 2017 at 18:13.
Old Tuesday 14th March 2017, 21:05   #86
NDhunter

3 Leica 8x42's

I recently had the chance to compare 3 Leica binoculars, the newer Trinovid,
Trinovid HD and the Ultravid HD.

I purchased the Trinovid last March, as I wanted a full size Leica, and these
were priced at a discount. There are lots of comparisons of the Trinovid and the Ultravid models, and I agree. Very similar build with the diopter, focuser combination, and similar optics and distortion patterns. I like the focuser combo as it gives more surface area to use.

It was easy to see that the Trinovid lags behind the UV HD in brightness, reported as 3% better in the UV HD.

I wanted to compare the Trinovid HD, and I was impressed in may ways. First I like the sleek handling and weight, and the brightness is better than the Trinovid, very close to the UV HD. There is also less field curvature with the Trinovid HD, compared to the others. It is hard to judge the CA in these, but I rank them Trinovid, Trinovid HD and UV HD. We have been in the middle of winter here, so I have no opinion of any color issues.

I think Leica has done well with the Trinovid HD, and I rank it rank it well and the same class as the Zeiss Conquest HD which I rate highly.

Here is my order of preference of these 3 binoculars.

Ultravid HD., Trinovid HD, Trinovid.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0816.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	618622  

Last edited by NDhunter : Tuesday 14th March 2017 at 22:46. Reason: Update preferences..
Old Tuesday 14th March 2017, 21:30   #87
Riverstalker

Exactely what I was looking for ... Confusing though. Thank you for this write up !
Old Tuesday 14th March 2017, 21:51   #88
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverstalker View Post
Exactely what I was looking for ... Confusing though. Thank you for this write up !
Welcome to the Birdforum, you will like a Leica if that is what you
choose.

Some of the terms are a bit confusing, but if you spend some time
reading the reviews on here, and other places, that may help you understand more.

Jerry
Old Tuesday 14th March 2017, 22:31   #89
Anthon

I'm a little surprised you prefer the Trinovid over the brighter UltravidHD.
Old Tuesday 14th March 2017, 22:47   #90
NDhunter

Sorry about that, I had them listed from better to best.

Now I corrected that, the UV HD is listed first.

Jerry
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: