Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Trinovid bn 8x32, are they still worthy?

Old Wednesday 18th April 2018, 19:47   #26
Patriot222

Worthy of purchase/ownership? Well, depending on the price, yes, certainly. .

It's a chunky and solid feeling 8x32 and at 630gr or so, I'm not sure it's going to satisfy your appreciation for lightweight optics.

When I use my 8x32BN frequently, I tend not to notice its optical imperfections but it does have some distortion and significant blurring at the edge of FOV. It's only when I use and optic with a flatter FOV and then go back to the BN that I say, "wow, optics have come a long way." Overall, it's a satisfying view with good contrast and most Monarch users who look through it normally comment how "clear" they are.

If you can find one for a good price, I don't think you'll be dissatisfied but if you have the option to wait a little longer and spent a little more later, you might be glad you waited for the FL or UltravidHD/+ or SV.

The Trinovid BA/BN made its mark in binocular history and is something that worth keeping in my collection. With that said, I'm more likely to sit on my patio with a Canon 10x30 IS II around my neck than the Leica, because the Canon gives me better views.
Old Wednesday 18th April 2018, 20:29   #27
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post

When buying a BN today, should one worry about the longevity of silver mirror coatings? Although presumably those could be serviced if necessary.

(Arthur - I didn't know the red BNs were company loaners. I thought that was a special edition, like the hunter's green or mariner's blue. I'll bet collectors pay well for those. Would you really change it to black?)
Hello Tenex,

If it needs service, the Leica agent has to remove the armour and the only replacement may be black. One of the virtues of the BN, if it were not made on a Friday, is their ruggedness, so it may not need service.

I last saw one on that electronic auction site with an outrageous buy it now price. There were no takers, so I cannot estimate its value to a collector. I am still waiting for an offer I cannot refuse.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Last edited by Pinewood : Thursday 19th April 2018 at 00:35.
Old Thursday 19th April 2018, 19:26   #28
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
If it needs service, the Leica agent has to remove the armour and the only replacement may be black.
Really? My BN was finally serviced several years ago to remove a visible speck that had somehow got onto an inner lens surface. It looked quite the same when returned, not like new armor (although I suppose BN armor isn't exactly new by now anyway...)
Old Thursday 19th April 2018, 20:28   #29
Troubador

Armour is made to be removed for repairs but glues can sometimes be uncooperative and damage results so leading to new armour being required. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.

Lee
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 01:53   #30
Yuk

Hello,

I just saw this thread after post elsewhere. I hope I won't get in trouble for double posting. This seems like the more appropriate place.

I'm new here and know nothing about birds! I found this forum and thread while searching the internet for information on Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN binoculars.

I have the unique opportunity to buy a brand new pair of Trinovid 8x32 BNs from a local camera store. Just to reiterate... brand new, never been sold, in the original box, with all the accessories and paperwork. They are asking 535 GBP and I'm seriously considering taking the plunge. What do you all think?

FWIW, I've spent the last week comparing them to the last generation Swarovski 10x30 CL Companion bins. I find the Trinovids are more forgiving with how I place my eyes, fit my larger hands better and have exceptional flare control. I also find the Leica colours to be more saturated. Chromatic aberrations are slightly less visible with the CLs. Sharpness was hard to compare, as one was 8x and the other 10x, but if I was forced to make a call, I'd actually guess that the Trinovids have the edge!
Is this possible, or am I nuts?

Cheers!
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 03:28   #31
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuk View Post
Hello,

I just saw this thread after post elsewhere. I hope I won't get in trouble for double posting. This seems like the more appropriate place.

I'm new here and know nothing about birds! I found this forum and thread while searching the internet for information on Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN binoculars.

I have the unique opportunity to buy a brand new pair of Trinovid 8x32 BNs from a local camera store. Just to reiterate... brand new, never been sold, in the original box, with all the accessories and paperwork. They are asking 535 GBP and I'm seriously considering taking the plunge. What do you all think?

FWIW, I've spent the last week comparing them to the last generation Swarovski 10x30 CL Companion bins. I find the Trinovids are more forgiving with how I place my eyes, fit my larger hands better and have exceptional flare control. I also find the Leica colours to be more saturated. Chromatic aberrations are slightly less visible with the CLs. Sharpness was hard to compare, as one was 8x and the other 10x, but if I was forced to make a call, I'd actually guess that the Trinovids have the edge!
Is this possible, or am I nuts?

Cheers!
Welcome to Birdforum. I own the Leica 8x32 BN and also the CL 8x30
former model.

They are both very nice small binoculars, and either one would be very
good. I also find the Leica very easy on the eyes, that means just a
pleasure to use. The Swaro. is good also, but it seems the field of view
is a bit less.

I would go ahead with that new BN, you seem to like it, and that is
what is most important.

Jerry
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 03:57   #32
[email protected]
Forum Member

It is hard to compare an 8x32 and a 10x30. The 8x32 is going to have easier eye placement simply because of the bigger exit pupil. The Leica BN is known for it's saturated colors and is still a good glass although getting a little long in the tooth now. Of course some of the newer alpha 8x32's like the FL, EDG and especially the Swarovski SV are going to outperform the BN although at a greater price point. Keep that in mind. At the $700.00 price point I would be inclined to wait for the new Tract Toric 8x42 UHD with the Schott glass which should be out in about a month and will probably sell for about $700.00 or two others to look at are the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 and Nikon HG 8x42 which can be had for around $800.00. I feel either one will outperform the BN especially in brightness and CA.

Last edited by [email protected] : Friday 10th August 2018 at 16:55.
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 09:58   #33
Mike F

I've no experience with that particular bin, but I would have though that 535 is a little on the high side if only because it's such an old model. It might even have some collectors value if it's new in the box and never used, but as you've been trying for a week it's already lost that! See if the shop will come down a little. I actually don't think it matters too much if it doesn't compare well technically with the latest and best if you like it; the image is still wonderful I'm sure, but it would be a point of negotiation to get the price down. Good luck!
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 15:17   #34
ceasar

Which Trinovid is this? The latest 8x32 Trinovid HD or the old Classic 8x32 Trinovid BN which was replaced by the 8x32 Ultravid around 2004 and is now a collectible?

What are the accessories that came with it ? Does it have a light weight leather zip around case?

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 10th August 2018, 19:11   #35
John M Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Which Trinovid is this? The latest 8x32 Trinovid HD or the old Classic 8x32 Trinovid BN which was replaced by the 8x32 Ultravid around 2004 and is now a collectible?

What are the accessories that came with it ? Does it have a light weight leather zip around case?

Bob
Bob, he says it's the older BN, but brand new in it's box.

Personally I love the 8x32 BN, its my favorite BN. The BN line has a robust, bullet proof feel that really is stout, but on the heavy side compared to the Ultavid line. I find the 42mm size "Bricks" to be too heavy for my liking, yet I love the compact 8x32s, heavier than contemporary 32 size bins, but they feel wonderful in the hand.

I also like the optics, maybe not as bright as modern coatings, but plenty bright enough for me. For that price and being brand new, I'd buy them.
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 20:07   #36
Yuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
... See if the shop will come down a little. I actually don't think it matters too much if it doesn't compare well technically with the latest and best if you like it; the image is still wonderful I'm sure, but it would be a point of negotiation to get the price down. Good luck!
This is the "rock bottom" price. I am very close friends with a senior manager at the store and he says that their cost on them is $1250.00 CDN. Although they purchased them more than a decade ago the price won't drop below $900.00 (535) anytime soon.
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 20:15   #37
Yuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post

Bob
It is the earlier "classic" 8x32 Trinovid BN model. I have everything. The manual, warranty card, ocular cap, strap, the two interior white cardboard sleeves that the cap and strap came in and the strap is still in the heat sealed plastic wrap. The leather case is also supplied with the original hide shaped cardboard tag still attached.
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 20:23   #38
Yuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M Robinson View Post
...I also like the optics, maybe not as bright as modern coatings, but plenty bright enough for me. For that price and being brand new, I'd buy them.
You are right, maybe not as bight, but darn close! Over the last week I've been comparing the BNs to Nikon Monarch 3 8x42, Leica Silverline Ultravid 10x42, Swarovski 10x30 CL Companion and Swarovski 8.5x42 Field Pro binoculars.

I rank the brightness in this order.

1. Swarovski 8.5x42
1a. Leica Silverline Ultravid 10x42
2. Leica Trinovid 8x32
3. Nikon Monarch 3 8x42
4. Swarovski 10x30 CL Companion (last generation, just replaced in 2017)
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 20:25   #39
Mike F

So, are you looking for reasons to buy or reasons not to buy? Sounds like you want them. Just do it!
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 20:26   #40
Binastro

I think that the price is good.

I use an 8x32 BA, as more modern alternatives have poorer flare control.
For observations near street lights at night the Conquest HD 8x32 and Nikon Monarch 8x42 HG are just not fit for purpose.
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 20:36   #41
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

In my opinion, they are not worth the price you will be paying. They have worse control of chromatic aberration, are less bright, and do not have a particularly neutral color cast.

They are great optics, but at the price you can get a new, second-tier that will have a warranty (Leica does not have a transferable warranty, at least on some models) and better optics.

If you are buying it for the prestige or mystique (collector's value), then go for it, they certainly won't "disappoint" in terms of view... But I strongly urge you to consider other options (the Meopro HD and Leupold BX-4 HD are both better options, IMO, for less than $500 USD, with a lifetime warranty).
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 20:41   #42
Yuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
So, are you looking for reasons to buy or reasons not to buy? Sounds like you want them. Just do it!
Neither I guess... I just don't want to miss out on a last chance to buy something special. If everyone told me that I can easily find a new $700.00, modern bino, that will outperform the Trinovids in every way, and that there is no reason, other than nostalgia, to buy the the BNs, than I wouldn't buy them.
But... I think I'm hearing that the BNs are still quite a competitive optic, even by modern standards.

Am I wrong?

BTW, They are still under Leica's lifetime Passport warranty.
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 20:45   #43
Steve O4B
Optics4Birding.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
... two others to look at are the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 and Nikon HG 8x42 which can be had for around $800.00. I feel either one will outperform the BN especially in brightness and CA.

The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 should be selling for $899.99, and the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 should be at $979.95. Anything lower for either and you should beware of non-authorized dealers and gray market items. Nikon has just fired all of their distributors to insure that only authorized dealers are selling their binoculars and spotting scopes.

In the sub-$1000 price range, the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 is my favorite. It has a 4.9' close focus, huge 420' FOV at 1000 yds, and the best brightness and CA reduction of the lot.

Optics4Birding.com
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 20:53   #44
John M Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
In my opinion, they are not worth the price you will be paying. They have worse control of chromatic aberration, are less bright, and do not have a particularly neutral color cast.

They are great optics, but at the price you can get a new, second-tier that will have a warranty (Leica does not have a transferable warranty, at least on some models) and better optics.

If you are buying it for the prestige or mystique (collector's value), then go for it, they certainly won't "disappoint" in terms of view... But I strongly urge you to consider other options (the Meopro HD and Leupold BX-4 HD are both better options, IMO, for less than $500 USD, with a lifetime warranty).
These are brand new in the box BN's from a reputable camera store with all original paperwork, including the lifetime passport warrantee. I would check with Leica on the warrantee, and if everything was up and up, I'd buy them.
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 21:02   #45
Yuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post

This is great feed back.

I am not being argumentative, just sharing my experience.

I am a successful photographer with over 30 years of pro experience, so I'm very aware of most optical flaws. In fact, I recently went to an ophthalmologist to find out why I can see the chromatic aberrations in my own, naked eyes! As it turns out, I have no heath issues... I'm just that sensitive!

I rank the BNs third in regards to CAs. Solidly behind the Swaro 8.5x42 and only slightly behind the Leica Silverline 10x42. They virtually tie with the CL Companion 10x30!

I rank the brightness in one of my posts above and the colour to be very satisfying, which I guess is a personal preference. Flare control is on par with the big boys and much better than the Swarovski CL Companions! These also come with the Leica lifetime Passport warranty.
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 21:03   #46
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Neither I guess... I just don't want to miss out on a last chance to buy something special. If everyone told me that I can easily find a new $700.00, modern bino, that will outperform the Trinovids in every way, and that there is no reason, other than nostalgia, to buy the the BNs, than I wouldn't buy them.
But... I think I'm hearing that the BNs are still quite a competitive optic, even by modern standards.

Am I wrong?

BTW, They are still under Leica's lifetime Passport warranty.
The mere fact that everyone here knows the BN speaks volumes imho.
It is a classic and those are hard to find, especially with a lifetime warranty attached.
Leica used to offer a very handy minimalist BN holster, ideal when crawling through the bush. You might ask whether they still have any.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 10th August 2018, 21:05   #47
Yuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O4B View Post
The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 should be selling for $899.99, and the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 should be at $979.95. Anything lower for either and you should beware of non-authorized dealers and gray market items. Nikon has just fired all of their distributors to insure that only authorized dealers are selling their binoculars and spotting scopes.

In the sub-$1000 price range, the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 is my favorite. It has a 4.9' close focus, huge 420' FOV at 1000 yds, and the best brightness and CA reduction of the lot.
Thanks for the reply!

In Canada both the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 and the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 sell for about $1200.00 CDN. The BNs are $900.00 CDN.
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 21:09   #48
Yuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
...Leica used to offer a very handy minimalist BN holster, ideal when crawling through the bush. You might ask whether they still have any.
Awesome tidbit of info! I know the western Canada Leica rep quite well, I'll ask him!
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 21:20   #49
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O4B View Post
Keep in mind the OP is talking $900, CA. Under $700, US.

I would buy them.

You've indicated they are easy to view through, they fit your hands, and you like their lack of flare. These things matter. They "may" have a bit more CA than the latest bins, but maybe not, and under what conditions? And, they are as sharp as anything, IMO.

They also have that Leica je ne sais quoi, and a lifetime warranty. They are also one of the coolest looking bins ever made, I think, and drop dead classics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leica 8x32 BN 2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	670706  

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Saturday 11th August 2018 at 00:31.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 10th August 2018, 21:28   #50
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Awesome tidbit of info! I know the western Canada Leica rep quite well, I'll ask him!
Here is a pair of like new Nikon HG 8x42's for $535.00. He says shipping to CONUS(Continental US) but you could probably talk him into shipping to Canada for $50.00. These will outperform the BN's in brightness, CA, edge sharpness and FOV. Almost as small and light also.

https://www.astromart.com/classified...x42-monarch-hg
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: