• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED50 Star Test (1 Viewer)

Pileatus

"Experientia Docet”
United States
Curiosity got the best of me last night when viewing conditions were quite good. I setup my ED82 with the 25-75 zoom alongside my least-perfect ED50 with a variety of lenses. I concentrated on M42 (Orion Nebula) and the Trapezium in particular.

The ED82 delivered great views of the Trapezium at 25X with the four main stars clearly separated. No surprise here.

ED50
I started with the older MC 24/30X 7462 eyepiece. Nota Bene: this lens is not recommended for the ED50 but what do I know or care about recommendations. It's 16X when mounted on the ED50.

To my amazement the Trapezium snapped into view with three stars (A,D,C) clearly visible and then, using a bit of averted vision, I got the fourth (B) to periodically reveal itself.

I replaced the 16X MC on the ED50 with the 27X DS eyepiece (50X on the ED82). The Trapezium popped into view with all four stars cleanly separated without the need for averted vision. It was a surprisingly pleasant view!

I tried our other ED50 with the 13-40 zoom but, though pin sharp, the narrow view just wasn't as much fun. I could, however, easily split the Trapezium into four distinct stars.

I went back to the 16X MC on the ED50 just to make sure I wasn't fooling myself. Again, A,D,C showed up and, with a bit of teasing, so did B. The ED82, of course, was brighter and useful all the way to 75X.

I revisited the 27X/ED50 in daylight only to conclude that, yes, it's a great small scope combination. I was tempted to part with the 50X and 75X DS eyepieces but I think they have a new home on the ED50 for casual nightime use.

If you're considering an ED50 for day/night use I'd recommend the 27X DS eyepiece (50X on ED82). The 16X DS (30X on ED82) is another good alternative but the low power does have its limitations.

Curiosity got the best of me last night when viewing conditions were quite good. I setup my ED82 with the 25-75 zoom alongside my least-perfect ED50 with a variety of lenses. I concentrated on M42 (Orion Nebula) and the Trapezium in particular.

The ED82 delivered great views of the Trapezium at 25X with the four main stars clearly separated. No surprise here.

ED50
I started with the older MC 24/30X 7462 eyepiece. Nota Bene: this lens is not recommended for the ED50 but what do I know or care about recommendations. It's 16X when mounted on the ED50.

To my amazement the Trapezium snapped into view with three stars (A,D,C) clearly visible and then, using a bit of averted vision, I got the fourth (B) to periodically reveal itself.

I replaced the 16X MC on the ED50 with the 27X DS eyepiece (50X on the ED82). The Trapezium popped into view with all four stars cleanly separated without the need for averted vision. It was a surprisingly pleasant view!

I tried our other ED50 with the 13-40 zoom but, though pin sharp, the narrow view just wasn't as much fun. I could, however, easily split the Trapezium into four distinct stars.

I went back to the 16X MC on the ED50 just to make sure I wasn't fooling myself. Again, A,D,C showed up and, with a bit of teasing, so did B. The ED82, of course, was brighter and useful all the way to 75X.

I revisited the 27X/ED50 in daylight only to conclude that, yes, it's a great small scope combination. I was tempted to part with the 50X and 75X DS eyepieces but I think they have a new home on the ED50 for casual nightime use.

If you're considering an ED50 for day/night use I'd recommend the 27X DS eyepiece (50X on ED82). The 16X DS (30X on ED82) is another good alternative but the low power does have its limitations.

Great test, though I wonder how it would do with the scope not at infinity.

The ED50 is the only scope I have used consistently... I've gotten rid of most of my others after just a few months. I primarily use it for waterfowl and shorebird surveys at my job.

The portability is just fantastic as sometimes my nearest point of entry to the viewing area is over a mile distant, and I find the views through the DS 27x remarkable considering both the inherent limitations of a 50mm scope and the price. I wish I could pick up a 16x or 20x simply for other options (the 27x is sometimes long for my needs), but it is difficult to find at times.

Great test, though I wonder how it would do with the scope not at infinity.
I've used these scopes during all types of lighting at all magnifications. The ED50 is limited by the 50mm objective but a good copy should deliver an excellent view.

The 13-40 zoom (we have two of them) are sharp all the way to 40X in both scopes. I found a very small difference in one ED50 at 35-40X but I have to have both scopes side-by-side to see it. Most would never notice.

The fixed DS eyepieces (16X, 27X) deliver a nice wide view and are pin sharp all the way out to atmospheric-limited viewing distances. The 27X, as expected, is darker than the 16X.

I have two tripods so comparisons are quick and efficient. When I looked at the Trapezium I had the ED82 setup with the 25-75 and the ED50's setup with various lenses (16X MC, 16X DS, 27X DS, 13-40 zoom). The ED50 with the 27X was surprisingly enjoyable with such a clear sky.

I suppose the bottom line is your scope should perform in a similar manner or there's something wrong. The focus is sensitive but after I worked ours back and forth several times it seemed to improve.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back