• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x42 or 10x42 (1 Viewer)

pauliev69

Proud Smoggie
I have the good fortune to upgrade my bins, and having tested quite a few I have narrowed my choice to the Leica Trinovid. I am in a quandry whether to go for 8x42 or 10x42, the bins I have at the moment are 8x42, Forum members advice please! :t:

I have the 10x42BN which I am very happy with. I have used them in dark conditions and the colour rendition and brightness is excellent.

I always hesitate to recommend optics to others as this is a very personal thing, but I do like the bit of extra magnification particularly when woodland birding when a scope can sometimes be virtually useless.

Good birding whatever you decide.

I am also very pleased with my 10x42 Leica and I have it from the first day's it came out must be more than 10 years.
Never had problems with it and as Robin stated that little bit extra magnif.does it!
Unless you doesn't have a sturdy hand?

Thanks Robin and Raymond, I must admitt I was swayed by the extra magification, but its nice to have comfirmation,cheers

I have used both 8x and 10x and my preference is 8x. I find that with a 10x you get much less field of view, making it much harder to locate a distant bird. You also get much less depth of field, which I find gives me eye strain. Lastly I don't see any more detail, due to shake, unless I am in a hide where I can rest my elbows. Basically a 10x gives me no advantages and plenty of disadvantages.

Just my opinion though. Others - see above - will disagree.

Paul:

As I said choosing optics is a very personal thing. The fact is both are superb bins and whichever you choose I am sure you will be delighted.

If you can borrow a pair of 10x bins and try them out in the field you can form your own opinion either way. Using bins in a showroom, even with a good view, is not the same thing.

Absolutely agree with Leif. Go to a field day for one of the optics retailers. I was able to try stuff for an extended period at one - it's the only sure way to find out.

Thanks for all your interest and friendly advice, I decided to stick with what I was familiar with 8x42. Received them today and I am delighted with my purchase, I now believe in the phrase " you get what you pay for " Waiting for the weekend so I can enjoy a new dimension.

Had my Leica 8x42's for nearly a week now and have put them through their paces, all I can say is the quality is unbelievable.The field of view compared to my previous bins is uncompairable,they have certainly opened up a new world to me, well worth the money!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back