• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BIG Horse Fly species? (1 Viewer)

dandare

Can anyone ID a large horse fly that visited my house last night? - It was resting on a window, I didn't get a great view(kept my distance from the vicious looking beast)but it was approx 25mm in length, robust and generally brownish in colour with yellowish underparts, prominent jaws and looked like a kingsize version of the common type that often give you a nip at this time of year.
Over the years I have only seen horse flies of similar size a handfull of times, so they must be pretty scarce, at least in my area. The first time I came across them was many years ago, when 2 were chasing a cow which was galloping across a field trying to escape.... obviously they pack a bit of a punch!!

I've done a google search to try and find out what species it is.... pretty much resembles tabanus autumnalis except that the few pics that I could find of this species had green eyes not brown. Couldn't get the size of autumnalis either, though it did look pretty beefy in the pics.

mothman said:

Yep, that's the beasty! Thanks Colin.

Just did a google on 'em.... status in Wales - widespread but local and active in the 3rd week of July. Wouldn't have thought that there many records of one popping into someones home for a bite to eat though!!

Have you ever heard of anyone being bitten by one? A bite by one of the smaller species is none to pleasent, so going by the size of sudeticus and those mean looking jaws.......

dan

'scuse my total ignorance on these things chaps, but are these the flies that occasionally land on you and refuse to be flushed off again?

dandare said:
Yep, that's the beasty! Thanks Colin.

Just did a google on 'em.... status in Wales - widespread but local and active in the 3rd week of July. Wouldn't have thought that there many records of one popping into someones home for a bite to eat though!!

Have you ever heard of anyone being bitten by one? A bite by one of the smaller species is none to pleasent, so going by the size of sudeticus and those mean looking jaws.......

dan
No I haven,t but acording to some reading matter that I just hoiked out of my bookcase,they target the legs.

Got Bitten On The Leg By One That Looked Extremely Similar Down The Marsh Yesterday,when I Whacked It My Palm Was Covered In Blood,would It Be The Same Fly???

mothman said:
No I haven,t but acording to some reading matter that I just hoiked out of my bookcase,they target the legs.

Had two bites on the leg from a Horse Fly presumablly, a couple of weeks back whilst up at Loch Arkaig, nr FT Willliam.

One at the back of the knee and the other on the ankle, I swear once the swelling and soreness had died down it left bruising !

I have only met a similiar fly once before and that was looking for Clay Coloured Robins in Texas, and they even bite through clothing !
The flies that is not the Robins.

Just glad they dont travell in hordes as the Highland Black Midge does.

bobwoodcock said:
Got Bitten On The Leg By One That Looked Extremely Similar Down The Marsh Yesterday,when I Whacked It My Palm Was Covered In Blood,would It Be The Same Fly???
Could be any of the Horseflies but if it was between 2.5 &3.5cm then it probably was T sudeticus.

bobwoodcock said:
No choice here,nearly 100f everyday since May it won't be moleskins and wellies thats for sure
Believe it or not it actually reached nearly 100 here in old blighty this week!!

bobwoodcock said:
No choice here,nearly 100f everyday since May it won't be moleskins and wellies thats for sure

As Colin says, it's pretty hot here. Think I'd prefer to sweat it out in moleskins(I'll pass on the wellies)than risk one of those T sudeticus buggers drill a hole in me leg.

Could do with loosing a bit of weight anyway!

dan

dandare said:
As Colin says, it's pretty hot here. Think I'd prefer to sweat it out in moleskins(I'll pass on the wellies)than risk one of those T sudeticus buggers drill a hole in me leg.

Could do with loosing a bit of weight anyway!

dan
Once I am down the marsh I am safe Dan as I have made a mosi net hide,it's just getting there before the little b's get me.

bobwoodcock said:
Once I am down the marsh I am safe Dan as I have made a mosi net hide,it's just getting there before the little b's get me.

You're a lucky man Bob, if I had one of those I'd get all my clobber off.... once inside the mosi net hide of course.

dan

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back