• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sussex Birding (1 Viewer)

Moonshake said:
Barn owl being mobbed by two magpies late this afternoon, along the A259 east of Newhaven, right by the Ouse Estuary Project.

Hi Nick

Where is the Ouse Estuary Project? Is it the same as Newhaven Tide Mills? Between Newhaven and Seaford somewhere? I met a birder last week who recommended this as being a good place.

Joanne

Nice female Red-breasted Merganser off Church Norton spit this afternoon.

Swimming about close to Teal Island then went ashore on the next island to preen and sunbathe.

Had a good look at the Brent in the harbour but no sigh of the 2 Black Brant's reported there.

You would be forgiven for thinking the harbour was a parking area for Lapwings and Golden Plover today.........hundreds of each sitting about.

No Godwits in sight though!!!

Spent the day in the Far East, trying to connect with all the specialities in the Rye area. Fairly successful, but missed key targets Bittern and Tree Sparrow, and didn't come across the hoped for Merlin (or any other raptors bar Kestrel).

New Sussex year birds that we did connect with were...

Kingfisher (a brief flyby)
Cetti's Warbler, one of the many singing birds revealed itself for a short time
Chiffchaff
Smew 4 in total (all redheads) - 1 on Castle Water (also 3 Scaup here) and 3 on the Narrow Pit
Little Owl - 1 peering down on us from its roost on Camber Castle
Long-eared Owl - 2 roosting in their normal spot along the edge of the Narrow Pit (unfortunately a bit too obscured to present much of a photo opportunity)
Black-necked Grebe - the long-stayer on the Long Pit
Common Scoter - a fairly substantial raft in the distance offshore

The biggest surprise though, was while we were searching unsuccessfully for Tree Sparrow near Winchelsea; a small passerine flew up on to the roof of a farmhouse and revealed itself to be a smart male Black Redstart

Must acknowledge those who keep the 'RX wildlife' website up-to-date with the latest sightings, helping us to plan the day's itinerary. Didn't have time to explore Pett or the Pannel Valley - will have to concentrate on this area when we come back later in the year.

That Rye area is smashing isn't it? Whole big chunk of land to explore there.

Back at Wakehurst again today - at least 5 brambling around by the main entrance, rooting around in the leaf litter amongst the snowdrops. Always struck at how well camouflaged they are considering the garishness of their garb, but the flying debris easily gives them away. Didn't find much else of note, but heck, what a lovely day. Lots of nuthatches, various tits, green woodpeckers, thrushes, that sort of thing.

Where is the Ouse Estuary Project? Is it the same as Newhaven Tide Mills? Between Newhaven and Seaford somewhere? I met a birder last week who recommended this as being a good place.
Hi Joanne! Yes, it's the whole area of land north of the site of the old tide mills, as shown on this map:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=545485&Y=101150&A=Y&Z=3

I've still not had a proper explore there myself - the little legs in our group only ever seem to want to carry their owner straight to the beach - but from the main road you can clearly see a big birdwatching screen that's been erected overlooking the wetland areas.

Moonshake said:
That Rye area is smashing isn't it? Whole big chunk of land to explore there.

Back at Wakehurst again today - at least 5 brambling around by the main entrance, rooting around in the leaf litter amongst the snowdrops. Always struck at how well camouflaged they are considering the garishness of their garb, but the flying debris easily gives them away. Didn't find much else of note, but heck, what a lovely day. Lots of nuthatches, various tits, green woodpeckers, thrushes, that sort of thing.

Hi Joanne! Yes, it's the whole area of land north of the site of the old tide mills, as shown on this map:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=545485&Y=101150&A=Y&Z=3

I've still not had a proper explore there myself - the little legs in our group only ever seem to want to carry their owner straight to the beach - but from the main road you can clearly see a big birdwatching screen that's been erected overlooking the wetland areas.

Thanks for those links, Nick, think I'll explore it soon.

Joanne

I too spent the day at Rye, top day it was too, highlights being excellent views of 1 the 2 LEO's roosting at the narrow pit, 3 Smew (1 Drake) at Castle Water, BN Grebe at the Long Pit, & flyover Peregrine & Merlin. Also saw a hunting Barn Owl nr Northiam on the way home.

John.

6 hours or so at Pulborough Brooks today produced nothing of any major interest apart from very good views of 20 plus Common Snipe from West Mead hide......not a bird you always see to well.

Big plus was the Roast Lamb and Spotted Dick and custard in the tea room after the first circuit was completed. :D :D :D

Mark43 said:
6 hours or so at Pulborough Brooks today produced nothing of any major interest apart from very good views of 20 plus Common Snipe from West Mead hide......not a bird you always see to well.

I went to Pulborough today. Like you Mark, saw lots of common snipe, really good close views, form the West Mead Hide. Nothing else of major interest, loads of goldcrest and I spent a long time searching for the firecrest to no avail though. Lots of pintail and shoveller still and 4 buzzards.

Joanne

A nice Red-breasted Goose at East Head today in with all the Brents. |8)|

Still couldn't manage to find the Black Brant amongst the flock though. |})|

Lots of Sanderlings,Curlew and Skylark about.

Possible Slavonian Grebe offshore but wasn't totally sure about it.

A trip to Wakehurst today turned up all the usual stuff, plus redwing and fieldfare, a couple of bramblings still knocking about by the entrance, a buzzard flying over at height, and what looked suspiciously like a willow tit in the trees near the rock walk. The bird in question had a fat neck and a wide, scruffy bib. Didn't hear any calls though so wouldn't want to stake my neck on this one. Loads of bumblebees around and a red admiral sat on a bench too.

Going to have another try for Lesser Spot tomorrow morning, and then maybe a full day on Sunday down at the coast (picnic lunch and all), with some combination of Selsey, Pagham and/or Thorney Island. Perhaps there'll be a few Wheatears knocking about.

Anyone else got any plans this w/e?

I shall be doing the more local patch at Shoreham this weekend. Nick, if you want to meet up to do the Golf Course and Woods at Holingbury over the next few weeks give me a shout - there's a good chance of catching some spring migrants coming in. Posted a short report on my thread yesterday btw re: the Yellow Browed Warbler at Southwick if any of you are interested.

If you folks haven't already done it (in a rush so didn't have time to read the rest) then check out Cissbury Ring - great birding patch - not far from Shoreham...

Kind regards
Didi

Moonshake said:
Out of interest, where are you going for LSW Ben?

No luck with LSW at Rackham Woods this morning, and have also had 3-4 failed attempts at Burton Mill this year. Not an easy bird to catch up with this year in Sussex, as sightings at Pulborough RSPB have been few and far between apparently.

Plenty of GSWs, a couple of Buzzards and a Grey Wagtail is all I have to report from this am.

Ooh, bad luck indeed sir! Not having any joy with LSW myself. Worst thing is that my mother-in-law keeps reporting one that visits her back garden (in Hants). Grrrrdamnandblastit!

Moonshake said:
Ooh, bad luck indeed sir! Not having any joy with LSW myself. Worst thing is that my mother-in-law keeps reporting one that visits her back garden (in Hants). Grrrrdamnandblastit!

I'm not having any luck either Nick. Worst thing for me is that everything is right and they should be in our woods but I can't find them either!!!

(You'll just have to go and visit the mother in law, hope she's not like mine. LOL)

Joanne

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back