• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (38 Viewers)

I'm staying in Norfolk at the moment. I was at Titchwell today, and am going to get out early tomorrow morning. Is there a best place to go for rares?

Cheers

Oscar

Okay I must admit that I gave in note taking after a while as I was missing Thrushes coming in off by there 100s but here's what I reckon I had personally numbers wise today at Holme.

Redwing coming up 10,000, Fieldfare 5000 easy, Blackbirds 500, Song Thrushes low 100's, Brambling 300, Hawfinch 1, Ring Ouzel 30+, Black Redstart 5, Common Redstart 2 and Robins 500+

I think that's about it...

NO OBP was at the opposite end of the reserve when found!!!

Halve your numbers, Rob and that's what I recon I had around Stiffkey and I only arrived at noon!

I am still convincing myself that I didn't walk past Stiffkey's little gem and that it had only just arrived when found!

PS apologies to anyone I annoyed talking on my phone too loudly, hopefully lesson learned

Halve your numbers, Rob and that's what I recon I had around Stiffkey and I only arrived at noon!

I am still convincing myself that I didn't walk past Stiffkey's little gem and that it had only just arrived when found!

PS apologies to anyone I annoyed talking on my phone too loudly, hopefully lesson learned

Half a Hawfinch!?!...Interesting! Tell me more... ;o)

Hi all

A rare away day gave me a chance to get to Blakeney Point, 08.30-14.30 produced one of my most exciting migration days in 20 years of birding.

19 Ring Ouzel was the highlight. Including one group of 4 birds that landed on the strand line in front of me having just flown in off the sea at 13.30pm

Also an estimate of the high 000s of other thrushes uncountable numbers, a bigger % Redwing. Quite a mind boggling sight.

Also 62 Brambling

Plus other Chiff, Crests and 4 Black Redstarts.

Birds were arriving all day and definately more Robins in the afternoon than the morning, maybe the Bluetail came sometime in the morning?

A quite remarkable day. Even with the thick fog!

All the best
Jon

Although I was at work I still managed to get out and see the Bluetail, thanks to my wonderful managers :t:

Even though I have been in the office for the entire day, even the short drive to Stiffkey, race down to the Bluetail and the walk back with Norgate produced a massive amount of Thrushes. So many where piling over the road as I came past Stiffkey floods my attention was diverted for a second and I nearly slammed head on into a bus. Safe to say I won't be so easily distracted in future. The poor drives face was a picture, too.

Well done Mike and well done to Dave for some cracking shots, oh and Stuart.

Kieran

I thought it might be a good day, when I opened my door and a Black Redstart flitted around the corner. It had reasonably discernible white wing-patches. Further investigation of some of The Esplanade and gardens gave Bramblings, Reed Buntings, Goldcrests- and hundreds of thrushes in/off.

Another location produced my first Ring Ouzels of the day- around a half-dozen- and more wheezy Bramblings.

What was planned as a short visit to Gramboro’, before going somewhere ‘good’, saw me spend a couple of hours, slowly going around and around- but not like a top. As my time there progressed, more and more birds appeared. The continuous invasion of thrushes continued (!). Here were p277 and half of p278 (most unfortunately the top half) of the Collin’s Guide. Another half-dozen Rousels, Bramblings, 20 or so Robins, a similar number of Goldecrests, a male Blackcap, 4 Chiffchaffs (Vince H gripped my with a Redstart). I found it unusual to hear the rattling of Mistle Thrushes, obviously migrants. (I was to hear these in several places.)

Driving west towards Warham Greens, I’d just gone through Stiffkey when a timely fone call (thank you, Mark) alerted me to the Bluetail. My new ‘phone is not easy to hear, when in my jacket pocket, and I might have gone much further, before I looked at the pager- which is even softer. Well done to Mike S for spotting this nice bird, which I hope to be the harbinger of more Sibe lovelies.

The westernmost track at Warham Greens and a ½ mile west on the Coast Path gave more Rousels, but little else.

What a day ! The magic of thousands of thrushes in and out of foggy visibility; the seeping, trilling and other thrushy calls; the anticipation of something mega around the corner. October came alive today.

Attachments

• 023pse.jpg
    023pse.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 143pse.jpg
    143pse.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 138
  • 066pse.jpg
    066pse.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 203pse.jpg
    203pse.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 192
Hi all
A rare away day gave me a chance to get to Blakeney Point, 08.30-14.30 produced one of my most exciting migration days in 20 years of birding.

Guess I picked the wrong day to walk to the Point.

And I can't get out birding till Sunday now..Fiddlesticks.

But it sounds like it's been a great day for many birders on the coast. :t:

Regards

Steve

Incredible morning at Waxham today. As others have said the thrush movement was very impressive, like none I have seen before, every step in the dunes saw 10's of thrushes fly off from the ground as well as having 100's flying in-off seemingly constantly forming huge flocks. The bushes just North of the pipe dump help thousands of redwings and fieldfares. An amazing sight and sound!
One of the best mornings birding for ages and the highlights were just 1 black-red, 8+ Rouzels and a few Bramblings..
Doesn't always take rarities to make a good morning, so glad I had the day off!

Thinking of heading up tomorrow. Wind is same direction but a bit lighter and there's fog all night into tomorrow. Anyone like to hazard a guess as to what it will be like?
(It's either that or shoot down to Kent for a serin & dusky!)

A superb day birding between Horsey Gap and Winterton despite a lack of anything with a blue tail........
Continuous passage of thrushes throughout with conditions making it difficult to accurately determine totals since many birds not visible in the murk so estimate of 2000 redwings, 800 fieldfares, 250 song thrushes and 150 blackbirds probably way too low. Highlights were 8 ring ouzels and 5 black redstarts but despite high hopes no sign of anything better. Also c. 100 robins along main track plus good numbers of goldcrests, c. 70 bramblings over and a flock of 30 lesser redpolls in the North Dunes.
Not in the same league as JF's efforts but a couple of shots of black redstart and ring ouzel gives some idea of just how poor visibility was.
Mick

Attachments

• DSCF3555.JPG
    DSCF3555.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF3567.JPG
    DSCF3567.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 104
I'm staying in Norfolk at the moment. I was at Titchwell today, and am going to get out early tomorrow morning. Is there a best place to go for rares?

Cheers

Oscar

Thinking of heading up tomorrow. Wind is same direction but a bit lighter and there's fog all night into tomorrow. Anyone like to hazard a guess as to what it will be like?

Your guess it about as good as mine, but I recon that birds will still be arriving, but in lesser numbers, with more visibility and feeding birds making it slightly easier to pick things out. There must be Dusky and Raddes in Norfolk somewhere, waiting to be found. I thnk that just about anything could be found anywhere!

So, as to where to go and where to start: with the rares at Holme or Stiffkey or try a place that wasn't on the pager today, that'll be a good start!!

Spent all day at Waxham, hard to estimate but over 20 Ring Ouzels through the area today (we caught 5). Amazing day of thousands of thrushes! Of note 4 Abietinus chiffchaffs arrived late afternoon, could be a sign of better things to come in the morning - We'll be there again!

See Blog for totals - http://uearg.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• rouzel1 (Small).jpg
    rouzel1 (Small).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Looking at the forecast I can't see why it's not going to continue until tomorrow maybe less numbers but we'll have to wait and see! I reckon a few rares (maybe a Mega, Sibe Blue Robin anyone?:p) will be found tomorrow...

Last edited:
Even from the ramparts of Fortress One Stop Nature the army of Thrushes were banging at the gates.
In and out of the fog the shapes moved south throughout the morning, some occasionally deciding the trees were a good stopping point.
As the day progressed the noise increased with more and more Robins heard.
A small walk, my first in over 2 weeks, gave little away other than long-tailed tits, goldcrests and the ever increasing volume from Robins.
Alas it seems my injury has cost me dear today, at least in terms of enjoying the spectacle of migration in the UK as I did in Spain a few weeks ago.
The bluetail was a great find, but I fear, for my sake, only the tip of the iceberg that is the week to come.

Major falls of birds

Its many years since I saw a fall of birds like I did this evening. It was worth me driving to Holme after work, even though I only had an hour of light. Hundreds and hundreds of redwings, blackbirds, fieldfares, robins, goldcrests and had 12 Ring Ouzels all in the NWT Forestry (dunes) between 5pm to 6pm. Unbelievable amount of birds!:eek!::eek!::eek!:

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back