• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which species persist only as reintroductions? (1 Viewer)

Maffong

Hi there,
inspired by the posts on this thread I wondered how many species of bird have or had been brought close to complete extinction but have been saved through reintroduction programs and how many more are facing such a fate in the near future?

The first species that jump to my mind are California Condor, South Island Takahe and a few other Nea Zaeland Endemics and Kakapo. I also think Hawaiian Crow will be reintroduced to the wild in the near future, as might Spix's Macaw.
What's the status of Madagascar Pochard? Weren't they all brought into some kind of breeding center or were they left in the wild? And are there still Campbell Teals left on islands where they occured naturally?

There are probably dozens more. Can you help me compile them into 3 categories?
A) Was completely extirpated from the wild
B) Very heavily relies on reintroductions
C) Is likely to go extinct in the wild soon

Maffong

Guam Rail and Kingfisher?

Kirtland's Warblers, while never being brought into captivity, require constant maintainence (habitat upkeep via fire since they have specific nesting requirements; cowbird management) and will never be able to leave the Endangered species list because of that. Not exactly the same as what you want but close.

And are there still Campbell Teals left on islands where they occured naturally?

Pretty sure they were present throughout on small offshore islands - the name Dent springs to mind but can't confirm this is correct. Wild birds almost certainly were involved in the re-establishing of a population on Campbell itself, although that presumably and primarily (?) through the re-introduction effort. Campbell Snipe may be a good analogy of natural re-colonisation following removal of predators?

cheers, alan

California Condor, of course.

Mauritius Kestrels were down to four bird when, eggs from the last pair were taken to the lab and incubated and the young later released. I think some of these last four may have survived while these measures were being implemented.

Spix's Macaw and Socorro Dove are presently known only from captive birds , that hopefully await reintroduction.

Some New Zealand birds (Stitchbird, Takahe) have reintroduced populations, but a few persisted in the original areas where they lived.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back