• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Martins with Lice? (1 Viewer)

snlw

Simon
These pictures were take just under 1 month apart at a breeding site where I work in Bedfordshire.
The first picture (taken on the 12th May) shows one bird lice free, as were all in the birds in the pictures I took then.
The 2nd picture (taken yesterday the 5th June) shows 2 birds with what I think are lice on them.
Where have the lice appeared from? No of the birds photographed on the 12th May had any, yet numerous birds yesterday did. Some of them had as many as 6 on them.
Will this affect their success this year or as they just a harmless parasite?

Cheers, Simon

img_1587-2.jpg
img_2656.jpg

These are flat flies. Pretty horrid, and they pick them up from their nests. Swifts have them too, and a few other species.

Your Turner identification seems a little off. Males and females of the species are quite distinct ;)

At least snlw is not confusing anyone with JMW Turner and his painting of the Guinea Fowl and the Moor Hawk...;)
MJB

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back