• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid supply problem? (1 Viewer)

rjknight

Is anybody else having issues in obtaining Leica Noctivid binoculars at present?

I ordered a pair of 10 x 42 Noctivid on 3rd October, choosing the olive green version. As my UK dealer did not have this colour in stock I was prepared to wait until new stock came in from Germany. Nearly 2 months later I am still waiting, and during this time Leica have given three dates when delivery was likely to be made to the dealer, and each time they failed to achieve it, without giving any notification to the dealer. It has been left to me each time to chase the dealer, who would then call Leica and be given a new date for delivery. The latest one is 4th December, but I won't hold my breath.

The service is appalling from Leica, and by rights I should have cancelled by now, but am prepared to give maybe one more chance. Be interesting to know if my experience is not alone.

Last edited:
May have to do with the green edition of the Noctivid.
All the Swiss dealers I usually buy from have the black 8x and 10x version in stock, but none has any green ones. The same seems true for some of the large German dealers (e.g. astroshop.de).
Canip

I’m from Leica - The green is a limited edition, hence the supply. I did see some in our Leica Store (they keep more stock).
I’m sure we can supply to your dealer. Let me know who
Best
Jason

I’m from Leica - The green is a limited edition, hence the supply. I did see some in our Leica Store (they keep more stock).
I’m sure we can supply to your dealer. Let me know who
Best
Jason

Another week gone by another failed delivery from Leica. New date of 16th given. This is beyond a joke.

I ordered a green 10x42 in the UK, waited for the given term of 5 days an then I was informed the delivery would be in the next few days. But I wasn't to wait for some colour since I was to be off to India and just changed it black.

RJ:
I think some on here need to have some patience when ordering a special color in a binocular like this.

So, I am standing up for Leica, you can get a black one, I assume, or just wait.

This is not like ordering on line and getting 2 day free shipping, on a package of toilet paper.
The world is slipping into a very bad sort of place.

If you don't like it, move along.

Jerry

The inability of the Leica distribution system to respond in a timely fashion to RJK’s order seems very strange (and also mildly strange in relation to GW8’s experience in post #7)

While the olive green version is a limited edition, it's only distinguished by the colour of the RA coverings - the metal work is the standard black

As we are in a world of:
- computerised and automated flexible production lines, and

- computerised stock control systems with automated monitoring of stock flow, and presumedly predictive capability in terms of seasonal demand

It’s hard to imagine why additional stock would not be on hand at regional distribution hubs - especially at this time of the year

John

Attachments

• Olive Green Noctivid.jpg
    Olive Green Noctivid.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
The inability of the Leica distribution system to respond in a timely fashion to RJK’s order seems very strange (and also mildly strange in relation to GW8’s experience in post #7)

While the olive green version is a limited edition, it's only distinguished by the colour of the RA coverings - the metal work is the standard black

As we are in a world of:
- computerised and automated flexible production lines, and

- computerised stock control systems with automated monitoring of stock flow, and presumedly predictive capability in terms of seasonal demand

It’s hard to imagine why additional stock would not be on hand at regional distribution hubs - especially at this time of the year

John

I have no inside information but one possible explanation might be that the the green model sold unexpectedly well in the earlier months, Leica has run out of green armour, and the quantities of green armour they want to order from their supplier are so small that the order is not a top priority for the supplier.

Lee

Lee,

While that is a possible explanation - and may very well be the actual explanation - it is of course not an excuse

Leica frequently produces variations of regular models. So allowing for the contingency of greater than expected demand - and then if need be, being able to promptly meet the demand
- should be a routine provision in their planning process

If unexpected demand for the olive Noctivids is the problem, one of the adults in the room should be asking: 'And why did we fail to learn from the last time that this happened?'

Slightly acerbically
John

Lee,

While that is a possible explanation - and may very well be the actual explanation - it is of course not an excuse

Leica frequently produces variations of regular models. So allowing for the contingency of greater than expected demand - and then if need be, being able to promptly meet the demand
- should be a routine provision in their planning process

If unexpected demand for the olive Noctivids is the problem, one of the adults in the room should be asking: 'And why did we fail to learn from the last time that this happened?'

Slightly acerbically
John

I have to agree with you there John.

Lee

Is anybody else having issues in obtaining Leica Noctivid binoculars at present?

I ordered a pair of 10 x 42 Noctivid on 3rd October, choosing the olive green version. As my UK dealer did not have ...........(edited)...... Be interesting to know if my experience is not alone.

Greetings. From Leica Photo Forum elsewhere, I learnt that camera lenses are produced in batches. Once a batch of a specific focal length is complete, they change the tools to a different focal length, and so on. Albeit binoculars are likely produced in different facilities than camera lenses, it is possible that Leica follows the same production process, i.e., in batches. So maybe this is the explanation of why a very specific model is out-of-sight in the market for a period of time.

And on a different note, the Noctivid is an awesome pair of binoculars, and when you have your green pair in your hands, be assured that you will have a very big smile on your face for many years to come. Enjoy in good health.

Last edited:
This signature is new, I think... I find no source for the quote on Google, which is unusual?

Well spotted Tenex. This quote originates from me and Troubadoris who as you know spend many weeks each year roaming the hills and coasts of Scottish islands and one special place on the mainland. What you might not know is that sheep farming in the hills of Scotland is widespread so that we are within sight of sheep, often several of them, all day, every day.

In one particular place the sheep have got to know us and we can recognise a few, and they are not nervous of us at all and will come very close to us. Sometimes they appear curious as to what we are doing while at other times they pass close by showing little interest.

Out of nowhere, as a family group passed close by us a year ago, as we were photographing a rare orchid, the 'quote' came into my head and I said it as a mild joke to Troubadoris. Actually, UK members of a certain age will recognise that I stole it from a cigarette commercial back in the late 1950's.
This showed a lone man lighting up a cigarette under the tag line 'you are never alone with a Strand'. 'Strand' being the brand name of the ciggies.

Lee

Thanks for the story, Lee. I would have had no clue. Last summer my partner and her sister did the coast to coast walk across northern England (from St Bees) and I recall that sheep were a large part of the daily experience... while rain was not.

Thanks for the story, Lee. I would have had no clue. Last summer my partner and her sister did the coast to coast walk across northern England (from St Bees) and I recall that sheep were a large part of the daily experience... while rain was not.

You are welcome. That is a super walk your partner did and yes it goes through a lot of sheep country.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back