• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Identifying binoculars (pics) (1 Viewer)

Hi,

I bought some binoculars from a garage sale and I can't seem to find them anywhere to id them. They look old to me and have germany written on the wheel and someones name I think. If someone could check the pictures out and let me know if they know anything about them, I would appreciate it greatly. :t:

http://picturehosting.com/images/cmr3/1.jpg

http://picturehosting.com/images/cmr3/2.jpg

http://picturehosting.com/images/cmr3/4.jpg

Dr. Teiss is a brand name. Wow, IPD is definitely not adjustable! Do these have Galilean-type optics (like opera glasses), which are more forgiving of pupil alignment than current bins?

--AP

Last edited:
Yes, they do look like Galilean (non-prismatic) binoculars. No IPD adjustment but sort of an interesting internal center focus design. Their magnification is probably somewhere around 2.5 - 4X. They are not military but definitely have a military look to them. The marking "08" is interesting and I believe is a reference to the German Army Feldglas 08, the standard German infantry binocular during WW I. Like this one it was a Galilean binocular and finished in a dark green crinkle paint just like this one. My guess is it was made in the 1920's and marketed as an inexpensive binocular for those who wanted a robust military type compact binocular for outdoor use. Could even have been made in the years shortly before WW I too.

Dr. Teiss is a brand name. Wow, IPD is definitely not adjustable! Do these have Galilean-type optics (like opera glasses), which are more forgiving of pupil alignment than current bins?

--AP

I don't know to much about binoculars to be honest. I'll look up the terms you are talking about though so I can figure it out. This is the first pair of binoculars I have ever owned in my life. I went to a garage sale and picked them out of a toy box and I asked asked how much for these, the Dad said 10 bucks and the son ( around 35 years old) said dad those are toy binoculars and dad replied 1 dollar its yours. I could tell it wasn't a toy just because of the material that it was made of and the weight .

Yes, they do look like Galilean (non-prismatic) binoculars. No IPD adjustment but sort of an interesting internal center focus design. Their magnification is probably somewhere around 2.5 - 4X. They are not military but definitely have a military look to them. The marking "08" is interesting and I believe is a reference to the German Army Feldglas 08, the standard German infantry binocular during WW I. Like this one it was a Galilean binocular and finished in a dark green crinkle paint just like this one. My guess is it was made in the 1920's and marketed as an inexpensive binocular for those who wanted a robust military type compact binocular for outdoor use. Could even have been made in the years shortly before WW I too.

Thanks for all the valuable information! Let me know if anyone knows anything else about them. Anyone know how much they could be worth?

Thanks again.

The only other binocular I have seen from Dr. Teiss is a 4x23 opera glass.

This was also finished in th same green crackle paint.

An American company called Hudson Sporting Goods lists Dr. Teiss binoculars in a catalogue from c1917 so I should imagine this is the sort of time frame when they were in production.

The only other binocular I have seen from Dr. Teiss is a 4x23 opera glass.

This was also finished in th same green crackle paint.

An American company called Hudson Sporting Goods lists Dr. Teiss binoculars in a catalogue from c1917 so I should imagine this is the sort of time frame when they were in production.

Yes, I haven't been able to fined to much on that brand. The only picture I was able to find is of a Dr. Teiss similar to mine (different model), it's just wider and painted differently. Seems like they both work the same though, Picture is below.

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr123/BeWyse/binoculars/binoculars.jpg

Yup........... that is the same picture of the only other one I have seen.

I seem to remember that the owner tried every avenue on the net and got absolutely no answers as to where and by who it was made.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back