• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Breeding Species in New York City (1 Viewer)

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
As I mentioned in an earlier thread I will be at New York City (Manhattan) in late June-mid July and I will certainly be birding around the city (and a little out of it, e.g. Long Island perhaps).
I would be interested to know which species are known to breed in and around New York City, especially those that are easier to find. So far I came up with:
1. Canada Goose (CP)
2. Wood Duck (CP, VC)
3. Snowy Egret (JB)
4. Tricolored Heron (JB)
5. Little Blue Heron (JB)
6. Green Heron (CP,JB)
7. Yellow-crowned Night-heron (JB)
8. Red-tailed Hawk (CP)
9. Clapper Rail (JB)
10. American Oystercatcher (JB)
11. Willet (JB)
12. American Woodcock (JB)
13. Laughing Gull (JB)
14. Forster's Tern (JB)
15. Least Tern (JB)
16. Mourning Dove (CP)
17. Eastern Screech-Owl (CP)
18. Red-bellied Woodpecker (CP, VC)
19. Hairy Woodpecker (VC)
20. Downy Woodpecker (CP, VC)
21. Northern Flicker (CP, VC)
22. Willow Flycatcher (JB, VC)
23. Eastern Kingbird (CP, VC)
24. Eastern Wood-Peewee (VC)
25. Red-eyed Vireo (CP)
26. Warbling Vireo (CP, VC)
27. Blue Jay (CP, VC)
28. American Crow (CP?)
29. Tufted Titmouse (CP)
30. Black-capped Chickadee (CP)
31. Northern Rough-winged Swallow (CP?, VC)
32. Tree Swallow (VC)
33. Marsh Wren (JB)
34. Carolina Wren (CP)
35. House Wren (CP)
36. American Robin (CP, VC)
37. Wood Thrush (CP, VC)
38. Gray Catbird (CP, VC)
39. American Goldfinch (VC)
40. House Finch (CP)
41. Northern Cardinal (CP, VC)
42. Chipping Sparrow (CP)
43. Song Sparrow (VC)
44. American Redstart (JB)
45. Yellow Warbler (VC)
46. Eastern Towhee (VC)
47. Baltimore Oriole (CP, VC)
48. Rose-breasted Grosbeak (VC)
49. Red-winged Blackbird (CP, VC)
50. Boat-tailed Grackle (JB)
51. Common Grackle (CP, VC)
52. Brown-headed Cowbird (VC)

CP for Central Park, VC for Van Courtland and JB for Jamaica Bay.

I would love to hear some more breeders (especially shorebirds and New World warblers).

The online bird reporting website eBird is widely used in the Western Hemisphere and is a good source for such data. Here is an eBird bar chart listing all species recorded June-July in several New York City and Long Island counties:

http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?src=...ar=2005&eYear=2015&continue.x=36&continue.y=9

Not all of these will be breeders of course, but most of the ones with multiple sightings during this period will be. Click on the “map” link next to the species name to see the location of the various sightings, and then click on the individual balloons on the map to see you more information. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much. Another question; would shorebird migration start by 18 July (my departure)? I would really love to see Semipalmated, Least, Western, Stint, Spotted and Solitary Sandpipers as well as dowitchers, godwits and yellowlegs.

Thank you very much. Another question; would shorebird migration start by 18 July (my departure)? I would really love to see Semipalmated, Least, Western, Stint, Spotted and Solitary Sandpipers as well as dowitchers, godwits and yellowlegs.

Check the bar chart for that info as well. Looks like the answer is yes for most shorebird species, and Spotted breed there.

Your breeding bird species for Central Park are on the high side...for example Black-capped Chickadee - not every year; Eastern Screech Owl - formerly bred now extirpated from the park; Green Heron - formerly bred but no longer...and many of the species listed are rare breeders (eg., Red-eyed Vireo).

Robert DeCandido PhD
www.BirdingBob.com

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back