• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

East Yorkshire where for Dippers (1 Viewer)

pete schofield

Hi all in need of a little bit of help. Going up to East Yorkshire next week (Thurs) for 10 days. Will be going to Filey Brigg for the sea watching.

I have the 'Where to watch birds in Yorkshire' book but would like the benefit of members experience.

A bird we would particularly like to get is the Dipper. Can anyone point us to sites where we are best likely to see them. Don't mind a bit of travel say within 50 miles of Scarboro.

Also needs bearing in mind, I have walking difficulties and use a mobility scooter to get around. So paths need to be reasonably wide. I can walk about 100 yards on good ground.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Pete

pete schofield said:
Hi all in need of a little bit of help. Going up to East Yorkshire next week (Thurs) for 10 days. Will be going to Filey Brigg for the sea watching.

I have the 'Where to watch birds in Yorkshire' book but would like the benefit of members experience.

A bird we would particularly like to get is the Dipper. Can anyone point us to sites where we are best likely to see them. Don't mind a bit of travel say within 50 miles of Scarboro.

Also needs bearing in mind, I have walking difficulties and use a mobility scooter to get around. So paths need to be reasonably wide. I can walk about 100 yards on good ground.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Pete

The best place I found for watching Dipper with easy access was Bolton Abbey woods which would be about 50/60 miles from Scarborough ,but perhaps the local lads will be along soon with closer sites for you.

Dippers

Hi Pete

I've sent you a PM regarding Dippers in North/East Yorks - near to where you're staying.

pete schofield said:
Thanks any more help out there?

Dear Pete

A good place for Dipper is Thorton Le Dale about 12 miles inland from Scarboro' just follow the A170 into TLD, park up just past the bridge near the the Hall hotel, cross over the road and watch the stretch of stream upto the bridge. Dipper often seen along here, also TLD has got a couple of pubs and a few tearooms for rest and recuperation!
Regards Jack.

Do you know, i lived in TLD for 5 years and never saw a dipper there! Never looked seriously but hey will next time i go back.

Thank you all for posting, will be going up Thursday let you know how we got on when we get back.

Once again many thanks for taking the time to post.

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back