• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus LS-11 settings (1 Viewer)

Martinetti

Which settings do you use to record bird songs with an Olympus LS-11 and Sennheiser ME66-K6 combo?

Do you use PCM, WMA or MP3?

Which frequency is best?

Do you use manual recording level or a set limit?

Thank you.

Which settings do you use to record bird songs with an Olympus LS-11 and Sennheiser ME66-K6 combo?

Do you use PCM, WMA or MP3?

Which frequency is best?

Do you use manual recording level or a set limit?

Thank you.

I use MP3 at a fast sampling rate mostly as I find the sound quality to be very good without having to deal with large cumbersome files. If I want the best quality, I will use PCM WAV at either 44 Khz or 48Khz however PCM WAV generates large files to download and handle. Mostly I'm looking for high quality sonograms/spectrograms and the better the quality of the recording, the better the spectrum display/plot will be. My own preference is to use MP3 at 96K sampling rate which I find gives adequate quality and good compression of the file size for easier and quicker handling.

I always use manual record level settings, I find the constant varying of amplitude of sound levels when wildlife recording to cause sudden unnatural shifts in recording level if the automatic record level is used. I think you will find most people use the manual level control for wildlife recording for this reason.

Hope this helps...

PCM 44.1k, Manual

What has once been lost can never be regained. Compression is only for post-editing IMO, and SD cards are cheap enough these days!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back