• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hokkaido, Japan (1 Viewer)

beechwood

I recently visited Hokkaido and spotted these birds which I cannot identify.
The first is a juvenile gull in Otaru which I believe to be Vega, Slaty Backed, Glaucous or Glaucous Winged - but can't find whether its possible to distinguish.
The second is an unknown duck seen near Hakodate.
Is anyone able to assist with IDs please?

Attachments

• otaru gull.jpg
    otaru gull.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 103
  • unknown duck.jpg
    unknown duck.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 117
#1. The wingtips are too dark for Glaucous, there is too much contrast between the wingtips and upperparts for Glaucous-winged, Slaty-backed would have a noticeably heavier bill ( even from that angle ) and usually has a much paler head. IMO it's Vega.
#2. Common Teal.

Thanks Chris. Its strange to go all the way to Japan, visit lakes well known for birds and only see a Common Teal which, it seems, may well have come from Europe too!
Phil

Teal are really common throughout Japan, in the winter, and I've seen them in all months of the year on Hokkaido. Looks like your having a hell of a trip, Hokkaido to NSW with some cracking island groups ( and New Guinea ) on the way. :t:

The gull is more likely a Slaty-backed Gull, given its extensively dark tail, dull brown primaries (with inners not contrasting against outers) and rather pale greater coverts.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back