• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you compare species month by month? (1 Viewer)

Joe.S

If so I want to know how you do it.

I've set myself the challenge of finding 50 species per month from my little patch. This month I’m up to 48 and in January I got 50.

Thing is I don’t know which species I found in January that I’m yet to find in February and Vice Versa I don’t know which species I’ve found in February that I didn’t find in January.

BirdTrack tells me I’ve found 48 in February and 50 in January but I’m yet to figure out how to compare species month by month in BirdTrack. Also the data in BirdTrack doesn’t include Garden Bird Watch, etc.

Perhaps it’s time for some listing software, or just simple pen and paper, to draw all this information together. ANYWAY the original question was :do you compare species month by month and how do you do it?

In BirdTrack, you can go to "Explore my Records" and then select a data range (e.g. 1-31 January) which then brings up the list of bird species you saw that month. You would need to do this for each month. Or, you can still go to the "Old Data Home", and select Compare Records, then click on the site you want to compare. It brings up all the lists you entered at that site so far.

Alternatively, keep an Excel spreadsheet, either with a list each month, or possibly even with the full UK list, and then a check list for each month.

Thanks, Lazza. I realise I can see the species for each month, but I was trying to find a way to compare species month-by-month in BirdTrack (without doing it manually).

I had never clicked on the 'Old Data Home' before- it is good you can compare sites :t:

This morning I created a simple spreadsheet. I will manually update it from the GBW and BirdTrack species list. Not ideal but in the end a spreadsheet is reasonably future proof.

51 this month and I never knew. :-O Compared to last month I'm missing Mistle Thrush, Peregrine and Willow Tit. Job done- it works.

Attachments

• Spreadsheet.jpg
    Spreadsheet.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 73
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back