• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2017 List Going? (1 Viewer)

The Notts Bee Eaters had relocated to Leicestershire on Tuesday. Today I decided to go for them and wasn't disappointed. They were showing well, albeit distantly.

202. Bee Eater

Early fall migrants are starting slowly to trickle in. Today I saw one of them, my first new bird in over a month.

192. Semipalmated Plover

Dave

Two more recently:

296. Northern Gannet
297. Black-crowned Night Heron

The first was in Spain, the second was the long staying individual in Shrewsbury. A UK tick for me too!

2 birds of prey seen from the autobahn between Herford and Osnabrück yesterday, 19th Aug:

196 Eurasian Hobby
197 Peregrine Falcon

Saw a few more birds in Norway, while taking the breath-taking train rides to Flåm and to Bergen.

8 August

Flåm, Norway
156. Black-legged Kittiwake
157. Common Chiffchaff

9 August

Finse, Norway
158. Red-breasted Merganser

Latest Lifer: 595 : Black-legged Kittiwake (Flåm, Norway; August 2017)

I've had a few days away starting in Shropshire then worked my way to Spurn, then up to Northumberland. A few new birds along the way.

203. Night Heron
204. Dipper
205. Curlew Sandpiper
206. Little Gull
208. Roseate Tern
209. Arctic Tern
210. Quail

This evening I had a new bird fly over my yard.

193. Common Nighthawk

Every year I see the nighthawks migrating over my yard beginning within a few days of August 20, like clockwork.

Dave

Last week of vacation is up in rustic Eagles Mere, Pennsylvania, where there are a lot of hawks but (ironically?) not so many eagles...

19-25 August

Eagles Mere Lake, PA, USA
159. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
160. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
161. Eastern Phoebe
162. Cedar Waxwing
163. Broad-winged Hawk

Latest Lifer: 596 : Broad-winged Hawk (Eagles Mere Lake, PA, USA; August 2017)

This evening I chased and saw a regional mega rarity found earlier in the evening by a birding acquaintance.

194. American Avocet

The bird was my first state lifer (no.266) of the year.

Dave

298. Willow Ptarmigan

First time I've seen one since 2010 which is criminal considering I'm from Shropshire! Got fantastic views of a trio on the Stiperstones

Got to experience totality of the solar eclipse last week, camping deep in Grand Teton National Park! One of the most incredible visuals I've ever bared witness to. A few bird spoils of the trip from both Idaho and Wyoming:

418. Swainson’s Hawk
419. Golden Eagle
420. Black-billed Magpie
421. Mountain Bluebird
422. Calliope Hummingbird (lifer)
423. Broad-tailed Hummingbird
424. Black Rosy-Finch (lifer)
425. American Dipper
426. Pine Siskin
427. Trumpeter Swan (lifer)
428. Dusky Grouse
429. Barrow’s Goldeneye (lifer)
430. Gray Jay (lifer)

235 Wilson’s warbler
236 Mourning warbler
waiting for the eBird reviewer to approve the second without photo. It has been seen this year about there and is seen yearly in the county

This evening I picked up a new year bird in my yard.

195. Wilson's Warbler

I missed this bird during spring migration, but I tend to have better luck finding it in the fall.

Dave

This afternoon I chased a Laughing Gull that had been found at a nearby lake. It would have been a state lifer. Unfortunately I dipped on the gull but I did find another good bird for this area.

196. Sanderling

Dave

Went out to the ocean over Labor Day and saw some great shorebirds, including a new lifer: Lesser Yellowlegs.

2 September

Lighthouse Cove, Fenwick Island, Delaware, US
164. Snowy Egret
165. Glossy Ibis
166. Lesser Yellowlegs

3 September

Ocean City, Maryland, US
167. Sanderling
168. Laughing Gull

Latest Lifer: 597 : Lesser Yellowlegs (Lighthouse Cove, Fenwick Island, Delaware, USA; September 2017)

Yesterday I dipped on a Laughing Gull, which is rare in West Virginia. The bird was refound this morning and this afternoon I went and finally saw it.

197. Laughing Gull

It was a state lifer (no. 267), my second in less than two weeks.

Dave

This evening I had a huge wave of migrants passing through the yard. I was only able to identify a small percentage of the birds, but I did see 25 species, one of which was new for the year.

198. Cape May Warbler

Dave

I was away on vacation for a while, so catching up on a bunch from a while back. Good thing, though, because change of scene equals new birds:

August 01,
Cheetah Conservation Fund property, Namibia:

58) White-browed Sparrow Weaver
59) Southern Yellow-billed Hornbill
60) (Cape) Ring-necked Dove
61) Helmeted Guineafowl
62) Pale Chanting-goshawk
63) Crowned Plover
64) Rosy-faced Lovebird
65) Namaqua Dove
66) Grey Go-away-bird

August 06,
Okaukeujo Camp, Etosha N.P., Namibia:

67) Sociable Weaver
68) Laughing Dove
69) Glossy Starling
70) Pied Barbet
71) Little Swift
72) Dark-headed Bulbul
73) Fork-tailed Drongo
74) Rock Martin
75) Southern Grey-headed Sparrow

Peter C.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back