• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Today (1 Viewer)

Today I saw a yellow rumped warbler ouside of st. louis, MO, and heard a few more. The Phoebes are back, and the juncos are starting to migrate north. Pleased to be here on the forum!

-Chris

I saw one too. Two in two weeks, or maybe it was the same one twice.

Also saw a pair of Downies. Actually it was a male chasing a female away. They were talking and acting aggressive. If the birds are paired, isn't the female supposed to chase the female intruder away?

Downies

If the birds are paired, I'm pretty sure the female gets territorial during nesting, but maybe what you saw was the male and female flirting. I'm not exactly sure. Good question though.

-Chris

I have one woodpecker book, and it says the male has a problem adjusting from winter behavior to spring. In winter it chases the female away from inapproprite areas. It may be regions of the tree.

Tero said:
I saw one too. Two in two weeks, or maybe it was the same one twice.

Also saw a pair of Downies. Actually it was a male chasing a female away. They were talking and acting aggressive. If the birds are paired, isn't the female supposed to chase the female intruder away?

From my spring observations of my downy pair here, he tends to chase her away from the feeder he wants but he will 'allow' her to use the feeder beside him. Yesterday, I saw him chase her off the suet but he left her alone on the seed bell 6" away. The hairies act the same way.
In the winter, it's another story. The males will not put up with ANY other woodpecker near them when they are feeding, whether it's the same species or not. It can cause quite a ruckus at times!

Huh! Fun with woodpekers. I did not have time to check them today at that park.

I did see a large white bird over suburbia, where there are some small lakes. It must have been a great egret, which I have an easier time identifying standing.

Saw a thrush today. I put it down as Hermit, though I never saw the whole bird. It had less spots than a Wood Thrush, which is the more common I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back