• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Missouri (1 Viewer)

3:) Very droll Charles, very droll indeed.

Should we let the furriners in on the joke. Oh hang on, I am a foreigner. :)

Neil

Yes, Charles, I am from the "Show Me" state.

I'll have to try to get over to the British Isles (or Japan) and have you guys "show me" some of those great birds you have there.
The waders and shorebirds are beginning to move through our area now. The last couple of days I went to Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge (30 miles north of Saint Joseph, MO) and saw Great Blue Heron, Little Blue Heron, Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Black-crowned Nigth-Heron, Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, American Bittern and Least Bittern. Also had six or seven species of shorebirds. Squaw Creek NWR can be a fabulous birding spot, but this year is our second year of dought, so bird numbers are down.

Missouri River must be a major flyway, eh? I've never birded in that area (closest was southern Illinois for the Eurasian Tree Sparrow)-- surprised Yellow-crowned Night Herons come up that far, though I now see by Sibley that they do. Which shorebirds?

Charles, the shorebirds showing up at the present time at Squaw Creek NWR (and nearby mudflats) are: Semipalmated Plover, Killdeer, Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper, Spotted Sandpiper, Short-billed Dowitcher, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper and Pectoral Sandpiper.

Hi Larry managed to see about half of your waders Lesser, Spotted ,Short Billed, and Pec in my area wont complain if you can send the rest this Autumn willing to do swapsies what are your Brit needs?

Hi Cuddy,

I have not been to Great Britian other than at Heathrow in London on our "ill fated" trip to Kenya. Therefore, the birds I need there would be: All of Them!
You mentioned "willing to do swapsies", I am not certain of the meaning of that phrase?

Good Birding!

Larry

Squaw Creek

Hi Larry, I was born in Parkville and raised in Maryville, Missouri. My Mom and two sisters live in St. Joe now. I have only birded the last seven or eight years but I have visited Squaw Creek many times and always enjoy it. Next time I visit I will send you an e-mail so you can report the most recent siteings. I was a schoolmate of a couple of guys you likely know or know of, Mark Robbins and Kirby Goslee, who are both very active birders. Have lived in DC area (DC, Maryland and Virginia) for last 23 years. Glad to make contact with you. Ted Vawter

Larry Lade said:
Charles, the shorebirds showing up at the present time at Squaw Creek NWR (and nearby mudflats) are: Semipalmated Plover, Killdeer, Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper, Spotted Sandpiper, Short-billed Dowitcher, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper and Pectoral Sandpiper.

Not dissimilar to the UK in Autumn then.......;)

So, what would be the equivalents, CJ?

Ringed Plover for Semipalmated Plover
? for Killdeer
Greenshank for Lesser Yellowlegs
Marsh for Solitary Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper for Spottie
? for SB Dowitcher
Red-necked Stint for Semipalmated Sandpiper
Little for Least
Sharpie for Pec

What d' you think?

Charles Harper said:
So, what would be the equivalents, CJ?

Ringed Plover for Semipalmated Plover
? for Killdeer
Greenshank for Lesser Yellowlegs
Marsh for Solitary Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper for Spottie
? for SB Dowitcher
Red-necked Stint for Semipalmated Sandpiper
Little for Least
Sharpie for Pec

What d' you think?

Ooh, difficult question Charles. We get all the species in the UK (but, alas not the IOM), but I think you're about right - I'd just change Marsh Sandpiper/Solitary to Green/Solitary and add Eurasian Snipe for SB Dowitcher. And ofcourse Red-necked Stint is rarer here than SemiP and Sharpie is rarer than Pec'

Missouri Website

The Audubon Society of Missouri (ASM) has developed a website at

http://www.mobirds.org

It is a relatively recent developement and is coming along quite nicely. You may want to take a look and see what we are doing here in Missouri.

The ASM has two general meetings a year, one in the Spring and one in the Fall. The Fall Meeting is always held at a camp in Lake of the Ozarks State Park in south central Missouri. The Spring meeting is held at different locations throughout the state. (This last Spring the meeting was held in Saint Joseph and everyone had a terrific time!) These two meetings are held the last weekend in April and the last weekend in September, repectively. Attendance at these meetings runs about 100 people. Of course, people from all over the state come to visit with old and new friends, go on various field trips, share meals in the "buffet style" dining hall and generally have a good time. Accommadations are in the several "bunk houses", with 20 or so persons in each. Evening programs are given with guest speakers (usually dealing with a birding theme) and there are slide presentations by members. Sometimes identification workshops are given by various "top-notch" birders of Missouri (usually someone from the Missouri Bird Records Committee). These gatherings are very informal and refreshing. At the end of the weekend we tally up all the bird sightings which have been made. Then everyone heads for home, refreshed and re-invigorated.

Larry

Last edited:
Visit To Missouri

:clap: Since posting a request for advice about birding in the St Louis area I have had four fantastic replies, all offering help on locations and offers of trips out. Thanks to this gem of a place for making feel so welcome and I haven't even been yet.

Look out Missouri here I come! Horatio

Could you assist inhelping me put an image on my reply , anyone?

Horatio, you will see some birds here, but it will not be over 300! We do not have such a variety of habitats and large area as California or Texas.

I went with scouts on Saturday and walked around their land west of St Louis and had run across 4 species of woodpeckers before another species, very similar, Nuthatch, was spotted. Eastern Kingbirds were found near streams.

Missouri gets a lot of underbrush in the woods, so it is easiest to stay on hiking paths in spring and summer.

Horatio - if you want to attach photos - click on Go Advanced at bottom of Quick Reply and the find attachments/Manage Attachments (in red print)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back