• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Value of Used Zeiss Diascope (1 Viewer)

cecil

Hi all-

Just getting into birding and I'm looking at a used spotting scope:
85 T FL with 20x - 60x eyepiece. It is the older green model with a few dings on it. No tripod or accessories. Any idea on what I should offer for it? I'm not able to look at in person but seller reports it is in good shape mechanically. He states that it has a few minor scratches on the the eyepiece lens that can be seen with a flashlight at the right angle but the overall image in is not affected.

Hi and welcome to the birding community. This is a wonderful hobby, gets you out and around seeing beautiful creatures, often very unexpectedly.
Re the Zeiss, Ebay shows several for $1000-1500+ currently, but they seem to be in better shape.
Scratches are not of an issue, but dings can be. Scopes have a pretty exact optical path which suffers if any of the lenses are knocked askew.
Because this is a heavy scope, you'll need a hefty tripod for it to shine. That makes for a car and short hike only combo.
In general, a scope is a fairly specialized piece of birding gear, most useful for observing shore and water birds,
which can be viewed at length over an open space. Here the very narrow field of the scope does not handicap the birder and the greater power can be usefully applied.
As an alternative, consider a stabilized set of binoculars . They are nowhere near as powerful as a scope can be, but are a lot more widely useful while still offering better than normal hand held binocular viewing.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back