• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Having trouble with a swooping bird (1 Viewer)

Breezy

I was searching all over today on the internet to try and figure out what's going on with this bird.

This is happening at my place of business. I believe there is a nest at the corner of the office, and this bird is practically attacking customers as they come in. Does anybody have a suggestion on what to do about this bird?

I'm not sure exactly what kind it is. It's black, and has a yellow/orange beek, although my boss seems to think that it is something other than a crow.

It cackles at the customers, then swoops down EXTREMELY close to them. Yesterday it flew so close to me that I felt the wind from the bird on my back! Then today the bird flew so close to a customer's face that it moved her hair!!

Anybody have any advice!!?!?!?!

Hi breezy, I have no idea what it is but I should think it is defending its nest site ? im sure a US member will help you more, anyway a warm welcome to Birdforum :t:

Probably is a European Starling, as they're the only black birds I know of with yellow beaks in the US.

I'm sure that after the young-uns leave the nest the mobbing will cease. What you may be able to do will be to hire a professional bird catcher to catch the starling and move it and the nest somewhere away from the building. This may work to a certain extent, however I've read that when the eggs/nest is touched, the mother won't go back to the nest.

Hello Breezy and on behalf of the entire staff here at Bird Forum a very warm welcome.

Your description does sound like a starling but I have starling nests all around my office building and have never experienced what you say is happening. Now I would expect that behavior from a Mockingbird but not from the starlings I have seen. Hmmmm, will have to go through my guides to see what else strikes a bell.

Hmmm, I just noticed that without thinking, I typed the Starling with no cap and yet I afforded the Mockingbird the respect of a capital M. My inner feelings regarding Starlings? ;)

i kno grackles don't have orange beaks but i have problems with them all the time i walk along this path and the dive bowm any one and there incredible brave because one of them hit me luckly i was wereing a loose jacket on so he just hit my sleeve.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back