• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Spotting Scopes (1 Viewer)

dear Kevin

If zeiss does not have FOV that is flat and across the whole field through all the magnification, then I cannot see it competing with the others. I do not think that viewers will accept what has been acceptable in the past.
yours ray

If zeiss does not have FOV that is flat and across the whole field through all the magnification, then I cannot see it competing with the others. I do not think that viewers will accept what has been acceptable in the past.

I think by flat you mean "sharp at the edge". The Zeiss Diascope I've looked through have quite a flat field (i.e. little field curvature) but they do (like other Zeiss optical designs) have a fair amount of astigmatism at the edge (more noticeable at lower magnifications where they have wider FOVs especially with the 65mm).

The question is perhaps who are "the others" are. Clearly it doesn't bother current Zeiss owners including me. And others (e.g. Kimmo in this older Alula reviews -- of course it's now 6 or 7 years on).

http://www.lintuvaruste.fi/hinnasto/optiikkaarvostelu/optics_6_SearovskiATS80HD_GB.shtml
http://www.lintuvaruste.fi/hinnasto/optiikkaarvostelu/optics_5_Smallscopes_GB.shtml

And for some the price trade off (as these scopes are cheaper than the Kowa, Nikon EDG, Swaro and Leica) is worth it. Each to their own.

But perhaps you mean attracting people over from the other Big Scope makers: that may be more of an issue. Different scopes for Different folks but each time I look at the pricing of the others I rather gasp.

Perhaps they've improved the edge sharpness (another change in the optical design) or perhaps they're happy with the current design. It's a rather difficult one to bring up in the PR unless you've decided it's a big feature and it's now "sharp from edge to edge". I haven't seen that for the new Diascopes.

The other comment I meant to make before was the one about Zeiss switching to porro prism for the image erector. I think with both Zeiss and Leica they believe their roof prism erectors are as good as a porro and this would be an affront to their optical design and implementation skills ;)

Beside the new DiaScope range there will be onother new scope (with fixed eyepiece):

http://www.orniwelt.de/products/Spektive/Zeiss/Spektive-und-Okulare/Zeiss-Dialyt-18-45x65.html

No infos on Zeiss' page so far.

Greetings,
Frank

Thanks for that link.

By fixed EP you mean non-removable as the scope is a zoom Spektiv Zeiss Dialyt 18-45x65. I originally though you mean non-zoom.

I also note that the site says: "Available as of Thursday, 01 April 2010". It's a bit early for April Fool's jokes but ... there is a terrible (scanned? ancient?) photo from the site attached below along with translation of the site.

The new spotting scope Dialyt shows its strengths under Widiger conditions where, in particular reliability, compact size and light weight are critical. Equipped with high-quality Carl Zeiss optics and the signature classic design is the newest member of the family Dialyt the ideal partner, wherever it comes to rapid deployment capability.

The lightweight, compact monobloc design with rubber coating makes the Carl Zeiss 18-45x65 Dialyt the ideal companion for the observation of birds, wildlife and nature. The water-and dust-proof housing, it qualifies for intensive use in harsh conditions. The practical focus front stabilizes the image in addition to observing domiciled.

As it can be transported easily in a backpack, is the Carl Zeiss 18-45x65 Dialyt also ideal as a second or Reisespektiv available. A robust and reliable with good Begeleitung Carl Zeiss optics!

Attachments

• zeiss-dialyt-18-45x65.jpg
    zeiss-dialyt-18-45x65.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Where did you read this ?

I've recently read where Meopta actually made the current Zeiss 85 T FL. Is this correct? I know Meopta supplies Zeiss with some glass, but if true didn't realize they actually made that spotter.

JGRAIDER, I believed that the Diascopes you mentioned were made in Wetzlar, Germany though the glass may have been delivered to the assembly factory from elsewhere, for final lens manufacture by Zeiss, but as MAK states, made to Zeiss' specification. Guess the article is factually incorrect?

Many have requested and will want the higher magnification (particularly if it still resolves fine detail at the higher end) which is quite a departure from the recent "compacted" zooms that boast wider F.O.V.s.

Great to have options isn't it.

JGRAIDER, I believed that the Diascopes you mentioned were made in Wetzlar, Germany though the glass may have been delivered to the assembly factory from elsewhere, for final lens manufacture by Zeiss, but as MAK states, made to Zeiss' specification. Guess the article is factually incorrect?

Are they?

The current Diascopes have Made in Czech Republic on them. My non-LT 65FL is a bit more ambiguous has Made by Carl Zeiss (but not Made in Germany). And my non-LT Vario Zoom has Made in Czech Republic on it.

Zeiss also make their spotting scopes in Czech Republic.

Talking to Scott at LibertyOptics also pointed out that Meopta OEM for Zeiss spotters (I'm not too sure how many other options they have in Czech Repulic).

Finally there is the yellow bias ... shared by Zeiss scopes and Meopta full size bins (but not the 32mm bins). That might be a coincidence but it's a curious one.

Update: I was spectacularly wrong. It does show it with the Baaders too.

I find my 65FL and Baader is warmer rather than yellow but it's not "blue white".

Care to say more, Sancho?

Does that look like a belt loop attachment to you under the scope?

I find my 65FL and Baader is warmer rather than yellow but it's not "blue white".

Care to say more, Sancho?
When I compare my Zeiss ep´s to the Baaders, the Baaders don´t appear to have a yellow cast in comparison. But when I compare the Baaders to the naked eye, looking at whitish cloud on the horizon, for example, the view does appear to have a slight yellowish cast, but not as pronounced as the Zeiss ep´s. It doesn´t bother me, and maybe you´re right, "warmer" might be a better description. I´ll check again tomorrow.

When I compare my Zeiss ep´s to the Baaders, the Baaders don´t appear to have a yellow cast in comparison. But when I compare the Baaders to the naked eye, looking at whitish cloud on the horizon, for example, the view does appear to have a slight yellowish cast, but not as pronounced as the Zeiss ep´s. It doesn´t bother me, and maybe you´re right, "warmer" might be a better description. I´ll check again tomorrow.

That's about what I see in my non-LT 65FL. Warmer with the Baader and more to yellowish with a non-LT Vario.

In fact this is what I though you said originally ... that's why I was a bit surprised. Probably just biased by my own view.

That's about what I see in my non-LT 65FL. Warmer with the Baader and more to yellowish with a non-LT Vario.

In fact this is what I though you said originally ... that's why I was a bit surprised. Probably just biased by my own view.
It probably is what I said originally, Kevin. I can´t seem to keep a solid, consistent opinion on anything. BTW, my Zeiss is non-lotutec too, in 85mm. Although the 40xw is a lovely ep, the more I use the Baader zoom, the more I like it and consider it my "default" eyepiece. The 40xw is handy to keep in the kit-bag in case it rains, though, as the Baader isn´t waterproof. (I don´t know really to what extent heavy rain would damage it...probably not at all). Anyway, as regards the new Zeiss scopes, I don´t think they´re for me, I´m really getting used to the Diascope and learning to like it a lot.

Hm...

It closely resembles my old Nikon Spotter XL 16-47x60.
That was a very good piece of kit, unfortunately as an eyeglass wearer for me the ocular was wrong; no twist-in-twist-out eyecup, not even a rubber fold down one.
It gave me a bit of a tunnel view, especially at higher mags.

I was quite fond of the focuser being on the ocular end, didn't need a panhandle on my tripod head.
I'd like to see more pictures from all sides of this supposedly new Zeiss.
April 1 makes me a bit suspicious.

Regards,

Ronald

Dear all

It must be nearly time for the sale of the new diascopes. Any reviews will be gratefully read as I am hopefully going to be a purchaser in the future.

Yours

Raymondjohn

I am also very interested in the new Zeiss Vario eyepiece. I would think that any major optical system changes (of the body) would be heralded on the website, but I find that they only mention of improved stray-light control. Could the heavier listed weight could be primarily a result of the addition of full rubber armoring?

I wonder if current Diascope owners, like myself, could reap most of the benefits of the new system by purchasing the new eyepiece (as mentioned in earlier posts).

I would like a higher top-end magnification with my Diascope 65.

I will have to wait and see...

I would think that any major optical system changes (of the body) would be heralded on the website, but I find that they only mention of improved stray-light control.

I spoke to my dealer on the 'phone the other day (he had just sold my Zeiss Conquest on commission) and asked him about the new DiaScopes. He said that despite retaining the focal lengths of the old Diascopes, they had been optically redesigned and were now the market leaders.
As far as I am concerned, the bomb is now ticking but I will wait a few months for any teething troubles to be sorted out and then do an extensive comparison with the Swaro ATMs before taking the plunge.
Personally, I regret the lack of a WA option below 30x/40x. The latter is much too high for general use, although with the Diascopes one does have the possibility of using astro eyepieces.

John

At those prices one would have to ask himself why choose the new Zeiss over the Kowa Prominar 883/884?

We don´t know about optical performance of new Zeiss and eyepieces compared to Kowa 883/884.
Kowa´s price is $ 2310, almost the same as Zeiss.

Zeiss has an important advantage over Kowa : can use Astronomy eyepieces.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back