• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Spotting Scopes (1 Viewer)

Dear all,

At www.orniwelt.de the new scopes from Zeiss are available. Price for 65 mm bodies: 1745 EUR, 85 mm bodies: 2295 EUR, 30/40x fixed ocular: 365 EUR, 15-45/20-60 ocular: 565 EUR, new megazoom 20-75x: 695 EUR, ever-ready case 175 EUR. Other shops offer the older modells in better price than before.

By the way, I am very intrested to read a comparative test about the new and old Zeiss modells or even an exhaustive test from the new modell. Today price is important and Zeiss have the chance to make a huge step forward.

Best regards

Vámi

Last edited:
@garry1366

I tried both of them over the Bank Holiday whilst at an optics event in Sweden. I found both to be very sharp but I just could not get on with the geared focus wheel. I found it difficult to use and took several efforts to get birds pin sharp. Fortunately it was T-shirt weather because if I had been wearing gloves I'd have got very frustrated with it. I can't understand what is wrong with the twin focus wheel that Zeiss and others have used in the past.

But it may just be me :)

Thanks Ingle, I am rich, relatively!

Chris, I only ever use the slow focus wheel on my current zeiss 65 never found the need to use the rapid one yet. Interested how this will translate to the new mechanism

G

@garry1366

I tried both of them over the Bank Holiday whilst at an optics event in Sweden. I found both to be very sharp but I just could not get on with the geared focus wheel. I found it difficult to use and took several efforts to get birds pin sharp. Fortunately it was T-shirt weather because if I had been wearing gloves I'd have got very frustrated with it. I can't understand what is wrong with the twin focus wheel that Zeiss and others have used in the past.

But it may just be me :)

Chris.

Is there a particular manufacturer, where everything is easy to use!!!!!!
A close friend of yours and fellow BF member tried it and within 5 minutes found it very easy to use, so yes maybe it was just you.

mak

Last edited:
after quite some time of being out of stock, I just noticed the new diascopes are avaliable at eagleoptics, both the 65mm and 85mm versions, and pretty cheap compared with the new Leica and swarovski, with that kind of price, there is even no need to get old Zeiss diascopes any more, I just hate the yellowish cast... doesn't feel like a zeiss view at all.

after quite some time of being out of stock, I just noticed the new diascopes are avaliable at eagleoptics, both the 65mm and 85mm versions, and pretty cheap compared with the new Leica and swarovski, with that kind of price, there is even no need to get old Zeiss diascopes any more, I just hate the yellowish cast... doesn't feel like a zeiss view at all.

Pretty cheap? The new 85FL is $2400 (no EP). The 65FL is $1900.

This must be a new usage of the word "cheap" that I'm not familiar with ;)

http://www.eagleoptics.com/spotting-scopes/zeiss

You're not confusing the new scopes with the previous models closeouts/demos at EO?

They still have "old" 85FL lotutec demos for $1269 and the "old" 65FL lotutec (new stock) for $1250.

Which is cheap for the 85FL (especially given the prices of the other top scopes). A rather good deal especially if you team it with the Hyperion zoom for $215.

Pretty cheap? The new 85FL is $2400 (no EP). The 65FL is $1900.

This must be a new usage of the word "cheap" that I'm not familiar with ;)

http://www.eagleoptics.com/spotting-scopes/zeiss

You're not confusing the new scopes with the previous models closeouts/demos at EO?

They still have "old" 85FL lotutec demos for $1269 and the "old" 65FL lotutec (new stock) for $1250.

Which is cheap for the 85FL (especially given the prices of the other top scopes). A rather good deal especially if you team it with the Hyperion zoom for $215.

actually from the photo i thought the EP is included, but seems it's the price for body only, as on further checking the INCLUDED tab, EP is not mentioned,still not sure it's included or not, if included then it's the best choice, but if not, with a $700 eyepiece, the new zeiss diascope is not that good a choice for birders.

The really interesting question is how good these scopes are. The Kowa 883 is the scope to beat (or at least to equal), and that's pretty difficult I reckon.

However, if they're optically at least a bit better than a cherry Nikon ED III and a cherry Nikon 82, I'll have a very close look at the 65mm. I don't think I'll ever want to carry one of those 85 mm monsters again, but a really good 65 mm with the new vario might well make me put my trusty old Nikon ED III in the cupboard.

Hermann

Dear all,

At www.orniwelt.de the new scopes from Zeiss are available. Price for 65 mm bodies: 1745 EUR, 85 mm bodies: 2295 EUR, 30/40x fixed ocular: 365 EUR, 15-45/20-60 ocular: 565 EUR, new megazoom 20-75x: 695 EUR, ever-ready case 175 EUR. Other shops offer the older modells in better price than before.

By the way, I am very intrested to read a comparative test about the new and old Zeiss modells or even an exhaustive test from the new modell. Today price is important and Zeiss have the chance to make a huge step forward.

Best regards

Vámi

The Orniwelt short time offer says 2295 Euro included 30 x eyepice.
The 20 - 75 x will be available at September.

I saw the new scope and eyepiece at Bird Munich about 2 weeks ago.

Unfortunetely the scopes are tested in the zoo and the only animals at this place was Giraffs about 50 m away.

In Focus told me the new zoom is being launched (in the UK I presume) at the Birdfair next weekend. I find it strange that they release the bodies several months before the eyepiece!

Also has anyone else noticed a general lack of interest in these scopes, I seem to remember the new Leica and Swaro scopes causing lots more discussion, are Zeiss really so out of favour?

G

They many have announced them (in other countries) but I've still not seen one. And I may be mistaken but I don't think anyone has reviewed one yet.

It's difficult to discuss them without actually evaluating them.

And they're not cheap too. I'm pretty sure all the top optics makers are having a bit of a problem shifting stuff right now.

Perhaps when a few folks here see them at Birdfair and write their comments up here or in the birding blogosphere (which I think is just outside Reading ;) )?

They many have announced them (in other countries) but I've still not seen one. And I may be mistaken but I don't think anyone has reviewed one yet.

It's difficult to discuss them without actually evaluating them.

And they're not cheap too. I'm pretty sure all the top optics makers are having a bit of a problem shifting stuff right now.

Perhaps when a few folks here see them at Birdfair and write their comments up here or in the birding blogosphere (which I think is just outside Reading ;) )?

Actually Kevin there is a Cabelas Outfitter near Reading here in Eastern Pennsylvania. I don't know if they have it but maybe Frank D. could find out. He goes there a lot.
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back