• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for info on Zeiss 16x Binoculars (1 Viewer)

DSquared

I have Zeiss binoculars that were my grandfather's. On left they are marked "Carl Zeiss" on top and "Jena" below that. On the right they are marked "Teletextin" on top, "333417" (serial number, I presume) below that, and below that "16X". CAn anyone provide any info on these, such as approximate date of manufacture, etc.? Thanks!

Old Zeiss

Hello DSquared,

According to this, the binocular was made in about 1913.
According to this from the same source, the model was made for about eight years, and the objective lenses should be 40 mm wide. Therefore it would have a 2.5 mm exit pupil. By today's standards it would be fairly dim.

Please, post a picture and try using them on the night sky, mounted on a tripod. 16x is a bit much for hand holding. It was not a military model. Does it have center focussing or individual focussing.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I have Zeiss binoculars that were my grandfather's. On left they are marked "Carl Zeiss" on top and "Jena" below that. On the right they are marked "Teletextin" on top, "333417" (serial number, I presume) below that, and below that "16X". CAn anyone provide any info on these, such as approximate date of manufacture, etc.? Thanks!

Hi,

if it's genuine, it's an absolute rarity, pictures would be welcome. Built only for two years (unlike the other source it was not built during WW1 as a civilian model).

The view will be so so due to small exit pupil and uncoated optics.

Here's some pictures of another example:
http://www.fernglasmuseum.at/museum/zeiss_telextin_16x/zeiss_telextin_16x.html

PS: It would be nice if a moderator could move this into the Zeiss section in the binocular forum...
PPS: Welcome to birdforum!

Joachim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back